PDA

View Full Version : Is the monster enough to calm the pull of the spending vortex for a while?

Jon Nuckles
02-11-2011, 3:28 PM
Having admired the beautiful hollow forms that are posted here and having read the rave reviews of the monster hollowing tools, I broke down on Monday and placed my order for the articulating system to go on my 3520B. I've only been turning for a few months now and have never hollowed with anything other than a bowl gouge, so I need some advice. Do I need to buy/build anything else while I wait for the system to arrive, or will this be enough to explore hollow forms?

I see that Randy sells a handle that allows you to do handheld hollowing with his tools. Is that something I should expect to do? What about different or additional bits for the tools? Do I need to build a steady rest to go as deep as the articulating system will allow me to go, or is that only necessary for deeper forms? Anything else that you can suggest?

I know I'll have to wait awhile for my system to be built, so I want to be ready to go when it arrives. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Alan Zenreich
02-11-2011, 3:46 PM
Jon,

The answer is a definate "It depends"

Have you installed a vacuum chucking system yet? If not, that might be your next lustful purchase.

John Keeton
02-11-2011, 3:47 PM
Jon, you should get some more HSS cutter pieces so that you can have various lengths available, and different cutting profiles. The stuff is cheap - around $1 per piece of the smaller 3/16", and a little more for the 1/4". A steady rest would come in handy for a vase form. I rarely use a steady for the forms I do - though it certainly wouldn't hurt to do so. I haven't used a hand held hollowing tool since buying the Monster, but I think others do.

As to your broader question - "Is the monster enough to calm the pull of the spending vortex for a while?" - Keep in mind that you have "only been turning a few months", and you have already purchased a 3520 and ordered a Monster hollowing rig. I believe we have the answer to the question!!!;):D Nothing...I repeat...Nothing stops the negative flow of cash in the world of woodturning!!! The Monster rig is just one more slippery step into the abyss!

Tim Rinehart
02-11-2011, 4:27 PM
John's so right...I was hoping someone would put it more delicately...but it's SO true. Hollowing rigs, grinding jigs, extra tools for special grinds, vacuum chucking, steady rests, tool rests, threading tools, carving tools, ... and we haven't even started talking about finishing!!!
One good suggestion I'll make to you early...go to Vince's WoodnWonders. Invest in the new Ceramax sanding discs, 2" and 3"...and plenty of grits...and don't look back. Give Vince a call, he'll help you figure out what you need based on what you want to do initially. Great guy with lots of knowledge on the subject, and happy to share.

Jon McElwain
02-11-2011, 4:56 PM
Is the monster enough to calm the pull of the spending vortex for a while?

If by "for a while" you mean like a few hours or a day, then yes it is remotely possible.

Roger Chandler
02-11-2011, 5:06 PM
182310Jon,

I think you should do as I did, and build yourself a steady rest. I have all of about $20.00 invested in mine, and it works like a charm. That way, you can steady up your hollow form against the side forces that occur during the hollowing process. An hour or so of work, and you are good to go.

Yeah, and I forgot to mention..........a vacuum chuck system is probably something you should look at for the future as well.........the pics are in reverse order with this post, but you get the idea! :eek::)

Jon Nuckles
02-11-2011, 6:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Tim: Coincidentally, I talked to Vince last night and he shipped my sanding supplies this morning. He was very helpful and spent quite a long time with me on the phone helping me figure out what I needed to get started with power sanding. My credit card is taking quite a beating this week!

Roger: I had saved a couple pictures of your steady rest from the thread where you posted them earlier and I have set aside the roller blades my son has outgrown so I can cannibalize them to replicate your version. Now that buying one from Jeff Nicol is no longer an option, there's no reason for delay. I do plan to build a vacuum system at some point; I have a veneer bag setup in my shop and will have to see if the vacuum from it will be sufficient and I can save some money somewhere!

John: Can you add a "bit" more? I was thinking I might want more or different bits, but would appreciate some guidance. Where do you buy them and what bits would be good to have? Your hollow forms are among the ones I have admired, of course. While I have no illusions that I'll be able to make anything remotely similar for a long time, I'd like to know it is only my skills that are holding me back!

John Keeton
02-11-2011, 7:01 PM
Jon, the cutters used in the Monster are 2.5" long sections of HSS - larger one is 1/4" square and the smaller one is 3/16" square. There are several sources, but the one I used was actually provided by Randy, and it is Enco. Go to http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=383-5312&PMPXNO=939775 and http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=383-5316&PMPXNO=939967 You will need to buy 10 of each to make it worthwhile. In tight places, you need a piece of the 3/16" about 1" long, or so. Just score the HSS with a grinder, and clamp it in a vice and tap with a hammer. It will snap on the score.

Roger Chandler
02-11-2011, 7:03 PM
Jon,

You can get the bits from Enco....

ttp://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=383-5312&PMPXNO=939775

Josh Bowman
02-11-2011, 7:13 PM
Jon, Jon, Jon. That's like saying will this gallon of gasoline put out a fire? The Monster rig is only the tip of the ice burg. As John K. said, you see already that you have a hole in your "financial boat". You can bale but the money just keeps leaking out! Having said that, I got impatient with the back log at Randy's and ordered a Sorby handheld hollowing system. When it was delivered......along with the Monster on the same day!, I started using ONLY the Monster and made very acceptable hollow forms. Out of guilt I tried the Sorby and it did well, but it was too much like work, so I went back to the Monster. So to answer you question about the handle, I would master the Monster then IF, you feel that your work needs it, get the handle.

Jon Nuckles
02-11-2011, 7:18 PM
Thank you, John and Roger. At those prices, I will stock up. I am guessing that the method of holding them and grinding an appropriate profile has been addressed in previous threads that will show up if I search for them.

Jon Nuckles
02-11-2011, 7:26 PM
I know, Josh, the spending slope for spinny things is so much steeper than it was in the flat world. Of course, when I was doing only flat work I didn't spend as much time on the interwebs looking at the cool things people were making and the cool tools they were using to make them.

Michael James
02-11-2011, 7:26 PM
Jon is your sharpening set up working for you? Is it running true, etc and are you happy with it? If not, then do yourself a favor and get it right. You're building a great rig here for whatever you want to turn. Dull tools are frustrating and dangerous. After that, the answer is possibly for a while.... all depends on what really trips your trigger!
mj

John Keeton
02-11-2011, 8:55 PM
I am guessing that the method of holding them and grinding an appropriate profile has been addressed in previous threads that will show up if I search for them.Jon, if you have the Wolverine jig, just set the shelf to the appropriate angle from one of the cutters that Randy sends with it. No need for a holder. I just sharpen mine on the shelf by hand. The more acute the angle the more aggressive the cut - and the more likelihood of a catch! The smaller the cutting surface, the less torque and thus, a more comfortable cut.

Bernie Weishapl
02-11-2011, 9:26 PM
I would say get your steady rest built and as John said get more bits. I always have 5 or 6 sitting next to the lathe sharpened so I just have to do a quick change and not go back to the grinder every few minutes. I do the same as John does. I set my wolverine platform to the angle of the bits I got from Randy and just sharpen them by hand. Takes a pass or two and you are ready to go.

David E Keller
02-11-2011, 10:52 PM
One other potential tip for the straight cutters on the monster... I cut them long and sharpen both ends, so I can just flip the cutter around. Half as many trips to the grinder.

Jon Nuckles
02-12-2011, 3:00 PM
I do have a decent grinding setup that includes the Wolverine so I should be in good shape thanks to all of your good advice. So far my spending has stopped short of photography equipment, so y'all might have to take my word for how good looking my hollow forms are when I start making them! Thanks again.