PDA

View Full Version : Ellsworth Grind jig

Jake Helmboldt
02-11-2011, 3:15 PM
Do any of you have the Ellsworth gouge grinding jig? I'm looking for the dimensions of it so that I can replicate the Ellseworth grind with my homeade jig. In particular I'd like to know the following:

1. how long is the support leg?
2. what is the angle of the leg?

Thanks, Jake

dirk martin
02-11-2011, 3:19 PM
I had one around here somewhere...I'll see if I can find it.
I was watching a You Tube video yesterday, and the turner that was putting on a demo to a large simposium, said that Ellsworth stole that grind, from someone else....I wonder if that's true.

Russ Denz
02-11-2011, 3:51 PM
While I can't speak to that grind specificly, I do feel comfortable saying there are very few truly original ideas out there. You frequently have to look pretty hard to find the original, and then it's still a maybe - just saying.

Bill Noce
02-11-2011, 3:58 PM
I don't believe David Ellsworth did like this turner said there are many grinds out there that started this type of grind years ago.
Every turner use this style but made changes to what they liked and in Ellsworth's grind is what he liked that worked for him an it became called the Ellsworth grind by tool makers. Just like you the Ray Keyes tools, John Jordan tools, Mike Mahony tools, etc.

David Lancaster
02-11-2011, 4:25 PM
[ said that Ellsworth stole that grind, from someone else....I wonder if that's true.[/QUOTE]

Well now people will be able to saw that you stole the design of his jig.

This jig is not the first of it's kind but it is his design. Plagiarism is not only copying someone else s designs in woodturning but can be by using their tool designs to make your own.

Why don't you try to come up with your own gouge sharpening jig incorporating some of the features of others but put some of your ideas in it too.

David and others who make tools and videos are trying to make a living doing so, when someone copies a tape or makes a tool that is an exact copy, is stealing from them

Sure a lot of guys make a tool that looks like someone elses but to ask for exact measurements on a public forum I feel is just going a little too far

Darryl Hansen
02-11-2011, 5:19 PM
David freely admits that he was showed the grind by others. You can get the dimensions from his book or just write or email David.

Tim Thiebaut
02-11-2011, 6:13 PM
... said that Ellsworth stole that grind, from someone else....I wonder if that's true.

This jig is not the first of it's kind but it is his design. Plagiarism is not only copying someone else s designs in woodturning but can be by using their tool designs to make your own.

Why don't you try to come up with your own gouge sharpening jig incorporating some of the features of others but put some of your ideas in it too.

David and others who make tools and videos are trying to make a living doing so, when someone copies a tape or makes a tool that is an exact copy, is stealing from them

Sure a lot of guys make a tool that looks like someone elses but to ask for exact measurements on a public forum I feel is just going a little too far

Hi David, I'am sorry but I think your coming off kind of harsh here. I dont see anything at all wrong with trying to use a design like this as long as it is for your own personal use, do you know how many people have copied the wolverine jig that I have seen on youtube and else where....hundreds if not thousands I am sure, if its for your own personal use I dont see an issue with it. How many people while starting out in wood turning, or wood work in general, and this is true in many walks of life, try to replicate someone else work during the learning process? Now if you were copying it for sale that is a completely different and seperate issue.

Gary Conklin
02-11-2011, 6:22 PM

Wow, that is a mighty high horse you are on there. Might want to take it down a notch or two. A lot of people ask for measurements for tools or parts they don't have or intend to replicate.

Richard Madden
02-11-2011, 6:41 PM
Wow, that is a mighty high horse you are on there. Might want to take it down a notch or two. A lot of peaple ask for measurements for tools or parts they don't have or intend to replicate.

I agree with Gary 100%.

John Keeton
02-11-2011, 6:56 PM
Time to move it back on topic. The OP asked about dimensions and angles. Thanks!

Jerry Marcantel
02-11-2011, 7:02 PM
Sure a lot of guys make a tool that looks like someone elses but to ask for exact measurements on a public forum I feel is just going a little too far[/QUOTE]

Asking for exact deminsions is just a start point... From there, I might see some improvements that the original tool maker didn't see, otherwise there wouldn't be a need to improve on any tool... It's like living in the stone age and not sharing what you learned. We wouldn't be where we are today without people sharing knowledge....

Jake, I don't know where I got my deminsions from, but some of the info came from the "Around the woods" site. My tool holder is a 1 3/4" square of oak x 1 1/2" long with a 3/4" hole drilled through the lenght... On the top side, I drilled for a 1/4-20 insert, and use a 1/4-20 eye bolt to hold the tool steady as I grind.. The leg angle is 60° and the leg that is exposed is 6 7/8" long. Add about a 1`/4" to the lenght, but that is not critical. I started with the leg at 10", and ground a piece of round stock, checked the angle, and either cut the leg or moved the pocket until I reached the 60° needed.....
I have my 6" grinder mounted to a 3/8" piece of aluminum which in turn is mounted to a piece of 3/4" particle board which makes the grinder portable. The pocket that the leg goes into is located 9" (not an absolute number)forward and 4" below the centerline of my grinder arbor. It's a permanent mount, so I have no room for other grinds unless I make a few more tool holders at different angles.....
Also located on the particle board is a 2" stop block, which allows me to grind my tool the same any time.... So far, I've ground all my homemade tools to 60°, and I'm not dead yet.... One of these days I might get some good store bought tools, and find out what it's like working with the good stuff.....
It's a bad picture, but maybe you can get an idea. The leg is pointing to the pocket that I use. It is a 3/8" hole drilled into the pb, and I made a stop to keep it steady while sharpening... ... It's 4 pm, and the sun is brutal. It's also 78° right now... 182318 Jerry (in Tucson)

John Keeton
02-11-2011, 7:03 PM
78*!!!!! OK, Jerry, rub it in some more!! Of course, in August the envy will shift!!

philip labre
02-11-2011, 7:31 PM
My wife gave me an Ellsworth signature gouge today for my birthday, so I needed to figure out how to sharpen it. I watched Capn Eddies $2.00 sharpening jig on youtube. He has a drawing at the end of it. Also used his idea for a cup for the wolverine. I used a 2"x3/4" nipple and some 1/4" threaded rod for the jig. The length of the post is 6" and is at a 45 degree angle.

Michael James
02-11-2011, 7:41 PM
Here they are from a post I did in Dec, but they are meaningless unless you have the exact jig, or replica and includes the exact protrusion length David uses.

courtesy of Craft Supplies.... and folks, this is old

JerHall
02-11-2011, 8:28 PM
HERE (https://docs.google.com/View?docID=admp7zph558w_bcj4t5jchs7kq&revision=_latest)are some notes I prepared for a sharpening workshop. It has a link to Elsworth's original drawings and also a drawing of the wooden jig I designed. I still use my wooden jig for odd leg angles because I don't want to change my leg angle on the wolverine that I use for most of my tools. Get the Wolverine unless every penny counts!

Jake Helmboldt
02-11-2011, 9:36 PM
[ said that Ellsworth stole that grind, from someone else....I wonder if that's true.

Sure a lot of guys make a tool that looks like someone elses but to ask for exact measurements on a public forum I feel is just going a little too far[/QUOTE]

David, without getting too personal here your post is pretty ridiculous. I have a jig that I made that is much like the Oneway (w/ an adjustable leg)., so in other words I DID make my own. I'm trying to approximate the Ellsworth grind, not make a knock-off of his tool. David provides the dimensions from the wheel for the jig support, but without knowing the angle or leg length it is hard to replicate the grind.

Anyone with a Oneway jig (you perhaps) that wants an Ellsworth grind (perhaps even on an Ellsworth gouge <gasp>) could approximate it by knowing the setup of the jig. Are you saying that someone doing that is ripping off Ellsworth? His grind isn't proprietary. And even if I made a shop-made copy of his for my own use it certainly wouldn't be a violation of intellectual property.

By the way, I see you are new to the Creek. Welcome.

Bill Noce
02-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Ellsworth himself stated in one of his videos that he showed students how to make his jig which was orginally made out of wood in the being so that they were able to grind their gouges like his grind. Then he decided to have it made out of Aluminum. Lyle Jamison has on his web site all the measurements on how to make his hollowing jig is that that "P" word :)))).