PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking "how to" books; in the shop or in the house?

Bob Borzelleri
02-11-2011, 2:44 PM
I got to thinking the other day that I have a ton of "how to" woodworking books along with about 1/2 ton of manuals for tools. The manuals have always lived in a file in the shop and the "how to" books are in a bookcase in the bedroom. Oh, and then there are the coffee table books like "The Workbench Book" and "The Handplane Book" which are more like eye candy and that sit in a pile on the map table along with "Illustrated Cat Watching".

What got me to wondering was that the "how to" books seem to fade into obscurity as time passes unless they are more proximate to me. Up till now, I have thought that they would be there (in the bedroom) when I need them, but more and more I am thinking that knowing where they are is different from having them readily available so I am contemplating building a bookcase for the shop (with some kind of dust cover, I suppose).

Where do you keep your "how to" books?

Van Huskey
02-11-2011, 2:53 PM
Mine have always lived similar to yours. A barristers bookcase is on my to do list for my new shop. Either make a cabinet or two glass front.

George Bregar
02-11-2011, 2:57 PM
I just thought this sentence was funny "What got me to wondering was that the "how to" books seem to fade into obscurity as time passes unless they are more proximate to me. Up till now, I have thought that they would be there (in the bedroom) when I need them..." :D

John Towns
02-11-2011, 3:04 PM
This is an excellent topic, one which I must address, like you.

I once built a desk with a large bookcase on the top with 3 shelves that was meant to be part of the desk. My son likes the desk but did not like the bookcase, so I hung it on the wall in the garage, er, I mean the shop. I keep 2 3 ring binders with all of the tool manuals on the shelves along with tool catalogs and several magazine cases and a few woodworking books. I have other magazines in my basement and on my nightstand. I have a built-in wall unit bookshelf unit in my basement where among other books and items, I keep more woodworking books. Stuff is everywhere and is never where I want it...which would most likely be in the shop. Just do not have enough space to hold it all. I suppose I should consolidate and weed out while I am at it.

I tend to keep magazines thinking that I will 'someday' look through them again and find some morsel of information that might be useful.

Jim Rimmer
02-11-2011, 3:32 PM
I just thought this sentence was funny "What got me to wondering was that the "how to" books seem to fade into obscurity as time passes unless they are more proximate to me. Up till now, I have thought that they would be there (in the bedroom) when I need them..." :D

Depends on "How To" what. :D

Jim Rimmer
02-11-2011, 3:35 PM
I keep my books in the house for many reasons. I don't have a DC so I don't want them covered with dust; heat and humidity in Houston area is not good for books; and I do read through them from time to time when weather doesn't permit shop time. I admit that sometimes it is a mental debate as to whether I should go in the house and look something up or just muddle along. :o :eek:

Paul Steiner
02-11-2011, 5:49 PM
I have a few how to books and woodworking textbooks. When I need a reference book I often found what I needed at the library. But I have alot of magazines, I have a cabinet that is 8' tall and it is about 3/4 full of magazines and a few of my books. When my magazines come in the mail they eventually make it to the cabinet, then eventually into a plastic sleeve and binder organized by year. Then this is what happens, I will see a project online and like it and it will say Wood may/june 08 and I will hopefully find the issue. I am wondering if buying the DVDs with all the issues on 2 or 3 disks is worth it?
But here is the real problem with woodworking magazines and books. You are in the middle of a project and check a book for info or a magazine comes in the mail and you see a new project and you get distracted or lose interest in the current project.
I am convinced that professional shops don't get magazines for this reason.

If a need it, I may take a reference book to the shop but bring it back into the house when finished.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2011, 6:02 PM
The only woodworking and relatd books in my shop are some of my manuals for the tools. The rest of my woodworking books until 2 weeks ago resided in my livingroom or my family room. Since recovering my home office after working out of one for 34 years, my woodworking books primarily reside in my office. The ones I am studying may relocate to the living room periodically. For example, I recently bought a book on Sketchup and it's currently in the livingroom.

David Helm
02-11-2011, 6:35 PM
182312182313182314 So picture number 3 is the shop; number 1 is the entry to the office in the shop and number 2 is the location of all woodworking books and magazines in the office.

Jon McElwain
02-11-2011, 6:55 PM
Most of mine live within arms reach of the toilet.

Bob Borzelleri
02-11-2011, 8:57 PM
Oh, I forgot about the magazines.:eek:

Maybe I'll put everything on microfiche.:rolleyes:

It is nice to find a reference to a project that was featured in a May, 2001 Fine Woodworking and be able to go right to it (as long as the bathroom is free).:cool:

Bob Borzelleri
02-11-2011, 9:44 PM
182312182313182314 So picture number 3 is the shop; number 1 is the entry to the office in the shop and number 2 is the location of all woodworking books and magazines in the office.

Office? Now that's high zoot.;) When I was building the shop I entertained the notion of a secret door down to the basement, but I forgot to dig the basement so the secret door seemed unnecessary.

Stephen Cherry
02-11-2011, 9:58 PM

+1, or should I say, plus 2

phil harold
02-11-2011, 10:20 PM

plus one
on that

Glen J. Peterson
02-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Like you I have a ton of books and magazines. Now I've accumulated a bunch of digital media and hundreds of favorites to websites. My books seem to live in 4, no 5, places based on a number of criteria. The newest are in a stack near my bed. The ones related to things I'm working on, or have recently finished are either in a stack in the family room or in the shop. I also have the coffee type books in the family room. The library is on the second floor of the shop to which I just added another bookcase. I also keep a couple of recent magazines or classics in the car. Perhaps I should consider reduceding my reading about about woodworking and turning and do more actual work.

What's the last woodworking book you bought?

David Helm
02-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Office? Now that's high zoot.;) When I was building the shop I entertained the notion of a secret door down to the basement, but I forgot to dig the basement so the secret door seemed unnecessary.

Gotsta have an office. How else can you rake in all the money from selling woodworking projects?!

Don Bullock
02-13-2011, 10:18 PM
I'm still trying to decide where everything goes in our new house. My woodworking books and magazines are spread out in different places. In my new shop I have a large bookcase where most of them are "supposed" to go. Many still seem to be in the family room within close proximity to my recliner. That's where I tend to read. I do have an office. The bookcase in there has a wide variety of books with a few woodworking books, but most of them will eventually end up in the shop. I last saw the book I'm currently using for a project sitting on top of my table saw open to the page that has the plans for the Craftsman table I'm in the process of making. Since the picture frame project for my wife has jumped to the head of the woodworking "to do" list (that is after I finish grouting some tile in the dog washroom for SHMBO) I'm going to have to move the book somewhere else because the table saw is now set up for the half lap joints for the frame.