PDA

View Full Version : Shaper Grizzly 510z

Prashun Patel
02-11-2011, 9:48 AM
Does anyone own this shaper?

It seems like a good hybrid balance between a router table and a shaper... It can use router bits too.

Cary Falk
02-11-2011, 6:10 PM
Prashun,
I don't have one of these. I see some from Rockwell/Delta and Jet quite a lot for $150 on Craig's list. I have the 3 hp G01026 and got a router bit adapter so I could run router. I decided to step up to a shaper instead of pouring money on upgrading my homemade router table. Is space, money, or electricity requirments driving your choice. If would probably help if you let us know what your plans for it will be.

Van Huskey
02-11-2011, 6:15 PM
I would be hard pressed to consider it when the 3hp Shopfox (similar to the G1026 that Cary has) is $857.13 shipped on Amazon. With the router collet it is about $900 and you have a "real" shaper to boot.

http://www.amazon.com/SHOP-FOX-W1702-HP-Shaper/dp/B001R23SW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1297465910&sr=8-1

Stephen Cherry
02-11-2011, 10:02 PM
It looks kind of miniscule, but I have an old 1 hp, just a little more powerful, and it cuts great. If you don't want to use big cutters it may be fine.

However, I would definately consider one that could use the 40mm eurocutters with a 3/4 spindle.

Rod Sheridan
02-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Hi Prashun, I would look for a 3HP machine instead of the one you indicated.

The one you picked will leave you with a poor impression of shapers, in the same way a 1/2HP 1/4" collet router will leave you wishing for more.

Vans pick looked like a good machine and I agree with Stephen about the 40mm insert Euro cutters. You absolutely want a shaper that will take that type of head, as the HSS knives are very cost effective and produce a superior surface finish.

The 3 HP machine will also have a larger table and lower spindle speed, and is capable of running panel raising cutters.

Regards, Rod.

Jeff Monson
02-12-2011, 1:15 PM
Prashun, you have been given some good advice, I looked hard at smaller shapers to start with. Glad I never went down that road. Get at least a 3hp shaper with a bigger table and you will never
look back, or regret the move. A shaper is one of the most versatile machines in the shop, (most respected also).