PDA

View Full Version : Cutting overly thick pieces

stefano panusa
02-11-2011, 2:11 AM
I tried searching for the answer to this, but I'm not sure what keywords to use..

If the max cutting depth of a laser is, say, 1/4" for acrylic, can I cut 1/2" by doing one side, flipping the image and the material, and doing it again ? I'm almost sure this can't work, but I'd like confirmation from the experts.

Mike Null
02-11-2011, 5:50 AM
I think it's safe to say that you would never be able to register it accurately. I would try a slower speed and air assist with several passes focusing deeper into the material with each pass. I doubt that you're going to like the look of the edges but it's worth a try on some scrap.

Joe Pelonio
02-11-2011, 8:00 AM
Mine will cut 3/8" with 45 watts, but I did once try 1/2" using Mike's method. It worked, but left ridges on the edge that had to be sanded then flame polished.

stefano panusa
02-11-2011, 8:23 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'm not concerned so much about the edges (as Joe said, some sanding and TLC should take care of that) but the depth. I didn't realize that the registration point wasn't as consistent as I hoped. Definitely will try with some scrap and just see how far it is.

Something for the notebook.