PDA

View Full Version : Wart Hog CNC ROUTER...good deal?

Tim Neal
02-10-2011, 11:43 PM
I never owned a CNC, but have wanted one for a while. I have the opportunity to buy a Wart Hog 24" x 36" CNC router for under $2,000. No software, or computer included. They claim it was neer used. Is it worth taking a chance. What should i look out for wend I inspect it? What questions should I ask. Thanks.

Tim

Dan Hintz
02-11-2011, 6:49 AM
That's a great price if there's no proprietary control software. If you can't get a hold of control software, it's a boat anchor.

James Jaragosky
02-11-2011, 7:19 AM
I believe that the guy that founded Camaster had a hand in building the warthog brand of cnc equipment. I know that they have helped other Warthog owners in the past.
From what Jim McGrew has said in the past, the Warthogs were well made machines and worth the money. I believe that he even owned one, in fact if I remember correctly that is how he found Camaster; He was looking for support for his Warthog.

Gary Max
02-11-2011, 7:22 AM
Plus if your like me and don't know squat about the machine you would never figure it out. Think about this----why is the machine new and never been used ???????? If you look at any of the machines on the market software is a real big deal. Now if you know all about CNC and want a project, go for it, you would need a good size boat to use it for a anchor.

Gene Crain
02-11-2011, 9:11 AM
Uses g code and I also saw that on ebay. Now they are Eagle Eye http://www.warthogcnc.net/

For $2k it's a good deal...IMHO

Buy it and start makin chips!!!

Tim Neal
02-11-2011, 12:30 PM
I just talked to the owner of warthog. He said it's an old model that uses proprietary software/hardware. They have a conversion kit to modernize it that costs $2,950. That includes some programming changes to the controller. You have to get all that working before you would even know if the CNC machine itself is still functioning. Assuming it does work, it would cost me just under 5K to get to that point. A new machine without any options would cost about 7.5K, plus I get a warranty. I think this is a good deal for someone with the time, passion and expertise to deal with unforeseen problems. That's not me at this point.

Thanks for all the replies.

Tim

John McClanahan
02-11-2011, 6:28 PM
Servo or stepper drivers from Gecko Drives and a breakout board from CNC4PC could make it up to date for about $500. A standard PC and Mach 3 could control it.

John

james mcgrew
02-11-2011, 8:01 PM
tim john is right, if you would like to please call me tomorrow, (PM me for number or call number on my website) i am familiar with the ebay machine and its history. it has anaheim steppers, i seriously considered this machine and at 2000 i probably should have purchased it, you can make it work pretty well for a lot less than you were quoted . the tenn warthog company is bankrupt

i sold mine to a sign company in fla where it is still in use today, i retrofited it myself and it is reasonably easy,