PDA

View Full Version : I had to remove my chuck for the first time.... :)

Scott Hackler
02-10-2011, 9:38 PM
Because you cant use the Nova Ornamental Turner without removing the chuck!!!

I played around with the OT tonight and this is the first completed item that was threaded and decorated using the Ornamental Turner.

It is super easy to cut threads and I learned that I DONT need 1/4" of them on a box. It takes a bunch of turns to remove or screw on the lid!

I also learned the importance of wall thickness. This first ones design has several areas that are cut completely through. It is a lot of fun and I am definitely glad I started looking for an Ornamental Turner and that Scott Hubl helped put me in contact with a seller!!

Sorry about the cell phone pictures, but I didnt want to do a normal photo shoot for a boo boo / learning piece.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Roger Chandler
02-10-2011, 9:41 PM
That has a lot of potential, Scott. Thanks for showing, and I am looking forward to some more pieces from you with this when you gain some more experience with it.........should be real interesting!

Steve Vaughan
02-10-2011, 9:41 PM
That's a great job there, I love all those little embellishments. Really a great looking piece. I wanted a hollowing outfit and it was on my list until I saw this, now I gotta find me one of these rigs too I guess!

dan carter
02-10-2011, 9:56 PM
Pretty impressive. Doesn't look to much like a boo boo from here. Looking forward to what you come up with next using your OT.

Baxter Smith
02-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Lots of very nice details there Scott. Sounds like you learned a lot and are well on your way to making something very nice!

Tim Thiebaut
02-10-2011, 10:39 PM
That is so cool! I hope I can find one of those someday myself.

Steve Schlumpf
02-10-2011, 11:26 PM
Looks pretty cool to me! I actually like where the piece was cut all the way through - makes for a very different piercing effect! Have fun with it all! Looking forward to seeing some ornamentalized turnings fairly soon!

Scott Hackler
02-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Steve, I didn't even concider the possibilities of incorporating piercing as part of the texturing. Hmmmm, this opens up even more ideas.

The Ornamental Turner is a cool tool, indeed. But it does require patience and planning. It is very tedious to repeat the same motions over and over. Now I understand the joys of a rose engine! But even with that, I love it.

One lesson I learned about threading.... The male portion has to be a larger diameter than the female threads, before threading. I learned this the hard way, as the first time I thought I had made a beautifully threaded box until both pieces slipped inside each other without the threads touching!! ooops!

It was a good time, experimenting and I will keep everyone up to speed with the progress.

On a side note, the concentric circle patterns are the easiest and fastest thing to add.

Richard Madden
02-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Looks good, Scott. What tpi did you use, and are there options on the tpi?

Scott Hackler
02-10-2011, 11:59 PM
Richard, I don't know for sure. The "kit" has three different tpi bushings and I used the middle one (or the one that comes with the unit). I will have to look on them to see if they are actually marked. That created some very functional threads for the chunk of cherry I used. I did discover that the male side needs to be beveled on the top edge in order to more easily starting the screwing the lid on. Ahhhh the learning continues........

Richard Madden
02-11-2011, 12:33 AM
I just looked in Fred Holders book, Making Screw Threads In Wood and it says the Nova OT comes with a 2mm bush in the basic unit and 1.5mm and 3mm are available in the accessory thread kit. I don't know how these metric threads compare with 12, 14, 16, etc.tpi.

John Keeton
02-11-2011, 7:30 AM
Scott, sure looks like the possibilities are endless with that thing. I think you should go into the creation urn business! It would be perfect for that.

Richard, 2mm would be about 13 tpi best I can figure.

Roland Martin
02-11-2011, 7:46 AM
A very well done booboo, Scott. The OT will open up a lot of design options, it'll be interesting to watch you move forward with it. The only thing I "don't" like, is that the vortex has a more than enough strength without you teasing us with yet another must-have tool, Damn you Scott!:D

bob svoboda
02-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Nice, Scott. Opens up a lot of new territory for you. Can't wait to see progressive pic's.

charlie knighton
02-11-2011, 11:37 AM
thanks for sharing, keep us updated with your progress

Nate Davey
02-11-2011, 2:11 PM
Very nice Scott. Any chance of getting pics of how you set it up on your lathe for us curious types?

Bernie Weishapl
02-11-2011, 2:52 PM
Wow Scott that is a nice piece. It looks like there can be endless possibilities. Looking forward to more.

Richard Madden
02-11-2011, 6:31 PM
Scott,
I think John K. is right about using the OT for cremation urns. The design possibilities are endless and would adorn an urn very nicely. Maybe you already figured out the difference needed between male and female threads, but for my threading jig, I turn the male piece 1/8" to 5/32" larger, the 5/32" makes for a snug fit. This depends, of course, on the depth of the thread you're cutting. Chamfering the ends of both pieces is also a good idea.

David E Keller
02-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Tool envy!!! Congrats on a great find... I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Joshua Dinerstein
02-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Wow! That is cool. I like the threaded lid and all the patterning on the box. Well done. Now I have to start looking for an OT. Thanks....

Joshua

Edit: Sold out and out of production. Weird. I then bounced around on Teknatools website and it seemed like almost everything was out of production. I wonder if they are in trouble or if they are just gearing for a new round of new somethings.... Too bad. The videos made it look interesting.

Scott Hackler
02-12-2011, 12:22 AM
Joshua (and other tool junkies), I was just looking around on Teknatool's site one day when I stumbled across the Ornamental Turner. I had seen rose engines (either home made or fancy multi-thousand dollar ones) and thought that this was the answer to a budget "rose engine pattern capible device". Least to say I quickly discovered that they have discontinued the Ornamental Turner and more recently discovered that they DO NOT have any of the accessories in stock minus a few of the cutters. So I posted a watned add here and a search begun.

As fate would have it, fellow creeker Scott Hubl, has been looking for one a LOT longer than myself and strangely saw my ad and through his own search was contacted by two different fellas willing to sell! So Mr Hubl got one and he assisted my contact with the owner of the other unit. A week and a half later and I have one.

These things must have not sold that well (guessing). They were initially very expensive $900+ for the unit and a handfull of accessories. I feel fortunate to have spent $500 shipped for my unit (used once) and a few accessories). Of both the previous owners, only my fella ever even used it (and that was only trying it once). I'm guessing between the initial cost and the tedious learning curve, or maybe people weren't ready for it. Its too bad because I really think its cool and can see using it on several different projects.

It does take some time to create the designs but really .....anyone could work this thing. The key is fine tuning the technique before any really decent work gets made. Honestly the threading aspect is one of the best parts of it.

I will try to take some pictures of the lathe (where its still mounted) tomorrow and post them.

Scott Hackler
02-12-2011, 10:13 PM
OK here are some pictures of the Ornamental Turner mounted to the lathe. There is also a close up of the medium threading bushing while the unit is set up for threading. I practice threaded a piece of African Blackwood tonight, while showing it off to my father in law and no surprises that it produced very nice threads. Zebrawood, on the other hand, dont work worth a darn.

Scott Hackler
02-12-2011, 10:14 PM
lol, I just realized how dirty the back wall behind the lathe is! Thats a lot of juicy wood flinging around!!!