PDA

View Full Version : OT..... On-line Tax Filer Reccomendations

Von Bickley
02-10-2011, 9:37 PM
Looking for suggestions for an on-line tax filer such as TurboTax or TaxAct.

Have you used one of these?
Were you satisfied with the service?
Pros and Cons?

Just doing a simple return. No deductions.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.......

Chen-Tin Tsai
02-10-2011, 9:49 PM
I've been using TurboTax since around 2002 and it's worked pretty well for me. For the first few years, I was only filing a 1040EZ, but now I file a full 1040 with itemized deductions. It's pretty easy to use as it prompts you on every item and you answer simply to input the information.

Russell Johnson
02-10-2011, 10:34 PM
I use TurboTax online for many years. Did it once with HR Block online and didn't like it. I like the TurboTax online just fine.

mickey cassiba
02-10-2011, 11:40 PM
If it's just a simple 1040A go to IRSdot gov. You can file on line. You have to do your own arithmetic though.

Bruce Page
02-11-2011, 12:51 AM
Ditto on the Turbo Tax software, been using it for years. I just did mine tonight.

Dave Gaul
02-11-2011, 10:01 AM
www.freetaxusa.com (http://www.freetaxusa.com) is the one I've been using for 5+ years now. Completed my taxes on Jan 31, received my money direct deposit today. Cost me nothing for Federal, State was $9.95 to eFile. Could've been free but it was too easy to just pay the $9.95 for state to be done with it!

Mark Patoka
02-11-2011, 10:51 AM
I've used TurboTax online for several years because my credit union offers it for a discounted fee.

My sons have used TaxSlayer for free as they only have had to file 1040EZs and it seems to work for them. TurboTax may be free for EZ filers as well. For state returns, VA has their own online program that we can use for free so I don't have to pay TurboTax to do it for me.

Lee Schierer
02-11-2011, 10:57 AM
We've used Turbo Tax for years with no problems for an itemized return. It is quick easy and seems accurate. LOML checked the results by hand the first few years. Best of all the refunds are quick.

Pat Germain
02-11-2011, 3:02 PM
When you guys say you are using the "online" version of Turbo Tax, are you referring to an application you buy and install on your computer? Or, is Turbo Tax now accessed "online" via Web Site?

Thanks.

Chris Padilla
02-11-2011, 3:27 PM
Pat,

BOTH are available now. For my own personal reasons, I keep declining to do the online Turbo Tax and prefer to download the latest software and do it all on my own PC.

Pat Germain
02-11-2011, 5:46 PM
Thanks, Chris.

So, either way, there's no longer a need to buy a "shrink wrap" box from Office Depot, for example? I can just download the application from the Turbo Tax web site and install it on my computer?

Paul Steiner
02-11-2011, 6:07 PM
Okay what verison of TurboTax? I have investments, stocks, and mutual funds but less than 20K. My wife and I have a rental property that went on the market 12/20/10 and is yet to rent. Both my wife and I have retirement funds also. Do I need deluxe or premier?

Rich Engelhardt
02-12-2011, 5:37 AM
My wife and I have a rental property that went on the market 12/20/10 and is yet to rent. Both my wife and I have retirement funds also. Do I need deluxe or premier?
Neither.
Pony up for a good CPA.
The money you pay the CPA isn't for doing your taxes.....it's "audit insurance".

Trust me here...I've been divorced, had a kidney stone, spent a night in jail & went through an IRS audit.
The audit was right up there with the other three as far as something you never want to experience again.

Jim Becker
02-12-2011, 8:52 PM
While I use the full TurboTax program, their free online version is really a nice choice for simpler returns. And the price is right...

Jim Becker
02-12-2011, 8:55 PM
When you guys say you are using the "online" version of Turbo Tax, are you referring to an application you buy and install on your computer? Or, is Turbo Tax now accessed "online" via Web Site?

As referenced in my first reply to this thread, there is a free online version of TurboTax (Federal) that is setup nicely for simple returns. If you click on the "more information" link, you'll be able to determine if you can use it. It doen't do a number of the additional schedules, so folks who need them, should use the Deluxe or Premier version (on their computer), depending on their circumstances if they choose to use TurboTax. Each of those entries on the web site have guidance as to which is best for a particular filer.