PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry Box

Tim Thiebaut
02-10-2011, 8:41 PM
Here is something a little different for me, I actualy messed up so bad on the first version the entire thing ended up in the scrap pile, I made a lot of little mistakes while making this as there were so many things I hadnt done before that challenged me. This is a birthday gift for my daughter for hanging ear rings or necklaces.

The base is Purple Heart, Dome is Curly Maple, the finials are Cocobolo...Overall height is approx "14, and approx "3 1/2 wide at the base. As always C & C are always welcome.

David E Keller
02-10-2011, 8:44 PM
That's going to be a great gift, Tim. We've got to get you a background for your photos or some color correction in post-photo editing... The yellow tones distract from a nice looking piece.

Dick Wilson
02-10-2011, 9:06 PM
Tim, That is marvelous gift for your daughter. When I first saw the title of thread I thought round and flat, not round and vertical. Great design. Beautiful wood selection. Great job.

Bernie Weishapl
02-10-2011, 9:10 PM
That is a beautiful piece Tim. What a great gift.

Richard Madden
02-10-2011, 9:31 PM
Pretty neat idea there. I'm bettin she's gonna love it.

Roger Chandler
02-10-2011, 9:34 PM
Nice work Tim! That is a really unique and nice gift.............I think your daughter should love it! That one would probably be a hit in any crafts show, especially with the ladies............I do like the contrasting woods. If you do one of these again, next time [just an experiment to see if you like it] make a larger diameter base with a little concave shaped shelf for putting any odds and ends they might want to use it for. Just an idea, but I like what you have done here!

Keep up the good work! One can watch your skills grow with every posting you make! :)

Steve Vaughan
02-10-2011, 9:39 PM
Yup, that is a really neat gift idea. Very nice.

Harry Robinette
02-10-2011, 9:45 PM
Tim
That is beautiful,very nicely done and a really great present.The idea is also very ingenues.
Harry

dan carter
02-10-2011, 9:50 PM
Nice job, Tim. I think that is one of the nicer products that you have posted since getting your new lathe. I am sure she will love it.

Baxter Smith
02-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Very nice idea and turning Tim! I am sure it will be a hit!

Tim Thiebaut
02-11-2011, 6:55 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone it means a lot to me! Even though parts of this build was frustrating at times, having to throw the entire first version out and start over, it was a lot of fun and I loved the challenge it gave me. I know that even now there are some issues with it here and there, but will improve with the next one!

@ David - I am hoping to get a photo tent around the end of the month, Amazon has a complete kit that contains the photo tent, several lights, and 3-4 different gradient backgrounds for I think it was around $43 give or take a few bucks, hopefully this will help me with my photos as I havnt been very happy with them myself. I have a nice tripod and I have hunted high and low and I just can not find the dang thing..will keep looking though and hopefully it will turn up, I dont want to spend extra money on something I already have somewhere around here.

@ Roger - Thanks Roger! I have been trying several things that are outside my comfort zone to push myself further along, along with some tiny little projects here and there I have wanted to do for along time. This is a form that I would like to explore further down the road and I love your idea to make the base a little wider and use it to hold things! I will certainly use that on the next one, thank you!

John Keeton
02-11-2011, 7:37 AM
Tim, sorry to be late commenting - under the weather a bit lately. You did an excellent job on this - both design and execution. Love the wood combo, and the finish looks really good. You kind of replicated some of the elements of the interior stand in the top finial and that is neat! I do like Roger's idea of making a larger base for a dual function - lot of possibilities with this design!

Keep it up - you are moving fast!

One other thing - if that photo tent kit does not contain vinyl backgrounds don't do it. They get a lot of use being taken down and put back up. If I had anything but the heavy vinyl, I don't think it would have survived. However, if you have a dedicated spot where you can leave it up, it may work.

bob svoboda
02-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Nice. Gonna be a huge hit for sure.

Tim Thiebaut
02-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks guys I think she will like it as well.

@ John - I went and looked and the photo tent kit I was looking at has Nylon backgrounds, I will look and try and find one with Vinal backgrounds, it should be a photo gradient correct? If anything maybe I can find the backgrounds seperate from the kit to get I dont know, but will try and find what you recommend. Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks for all of the nice comments everyone!

Prashun Patel
02-11-2011, 2:03 PM
That's a cool design. Looks hard to do. Envious of yr skills ;)
I've been looking for elegant necklace storage. May have to copy some elements here...
Thnx

Michelle Rich
02-11-2011, 4:08 PM
anyone who has jewelry would likethis

Roger Chandler
02-11-2011, 5:32 PM
Tim,

This link should help you with the photo gradient background:

http://www.phototechinc.com/graduate.htm

Mark Hubl
02-11-2011, 6:25 PM
Tim,

Nice job on the jewelry box. I am sure your daughter will love it.

Here is another place to buy graduated backgrounds. This is the one I use.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/search/graduated%20background

Good Luck.

Tim Thiebaut
02-11-2011, 8:06 PM
Thank you for the info and the kind words, I will do my homework this next couple of weeks and hopefully have a decent photo setup by the end of the month or there abouts, thanks again, Tim