PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Sales? (President's Day?)

Douglas Clark
02-10-2011, 6:18 PM
Hi all... I'm a long time lurker here who's ready to pull the trigger on a new bandsaw purchase. I've decided on the Grizzly 513X2 (still trying to decide on brake or no brake) and was wondering if anyone knows whether Grizzly does any President's Day sales?

If they don't, I'm curious how much longer until they implement their spring/summer specials. I've really got my heart set on this purchase and will wait if I must, but I'm getting antsy with anticipation. Of course, even then I'm assuming that the 513X2 might be discounted, which I realize isn't a guarantee. I'd love to go to the tent sale, but being in California, I just don't think it's in the budget right now as I'd have to figure out how to get it home.

Finally, is anyone else out there having any specials around this time? I'd love to hear about them...

Thanks all!

Dave Lehnert
02-10-2011, 7:39 PM
The 513x2B Price of $1,095 is $100 off the regular price according to the 2011 catalog.

glenn bradley
02-10-2011, 9:19 PM
Is this going to be another one of those threads where someone had to pay more because they waited so long? ;-)

Victor Robinson
02-10-2011, 9:21 PM
Is this going to be another one of those threads where someone had to pay more because they waited so long? ;-)

lol, probably

david brum
02-10-2011, 9:43 PM
I've decided on the Grizzly 513X2 (still trying to decide on brake or no brake)

The brake would be a great option. I can't tell you how many times I've wished for one, as I wait for the blade to slowly, gradually come to a stop.

Douglas Clark
02-10-2011, 10:07 PM
I hope it's not gonna be one of those stories where I end up paying more! ... but it's been known to happen to me, occasionally. In this case, though, I've waited a long time and the purchase WILL be happening in the next couple of months.

Dave, I noticed that detail ($100 less) in the catalog, as well. The struggle I always have with seeing things priced like that is that if you are setting that as the price for the entire year, it's hard for me to see it as a discounted or sale price so much as the price that the market will actually bear (no pun intended) this year. I noticed that Powermatic is kind of doing a similar thing with their 14" bandsaw, this year, for their 90th anniversary, it's $100 less all year.

It's not my intent to be greedy, I'm just holding out a little hope that it could come down a bit more (that might help with the brake decision, too). Like everyone else, I'm watching my bottom line pretty carefully these days. Although, I've still had to fight off budget creep something fierce lately. Can't help but look longingly at the 514X.

Thanks for keeping me humble and realistic everyone.

Brian Kent
02-10-2011, 10:59 PM
I think you will be very happy with the 513X2. I am. I have no brake and that's fine. If I had excess cash, I would choose one with, but there is no lack without it. Start cutting things, bro!

Richard Coers
02-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Check to see if they have any in stock. I've had a 514X2 on order since Dec 31, and the last email I got said a March delivery. I bought it on the Christmas sale, and had a 5% off coupon on my next order for a price of $1230. It's $1395 now, but not much of a gloat since I don't have it.

Cary Falk
02-11-2011, 9:58 AM
I heard there is a coupon code for 10% off in the March/April Woodworkers Journal. It might be worth a trip to the newstand.

Maik Tobin
02-11-2011, 11:41 AM
I took delivery of a 513X2B in December, and I love having the brake. Blade stops within a couple of seconds of turning machine off. BTW, I waited several months for the saw as it was on backorder.

Douglas Clark
02-11-2011, 12:13 PM
I think a trip to the news stand is in order today. If your right, Cary, the saw (with the brake) is as good as ordered! :D

John Sanford
02-11-2011, 12:26 PM
One other thing you may want to consider is keeping an eye out for the scratch and dent sale at Laguna. You could even make it a day trip, if they have something that fits your needs.

Douglas Clark
02-11-2011, 4:00 PM
John, I'm not opposed to that idea, but do you know about when those generally take place (next month or two, perhaps)? I've had to avoid looking too hard at the Laguna because of the whole budget creep issue. Brand new, they're a bit outta the budget I was shooting for.

That being said, because of how small my shop is (I only have 220 s.f. of practical space at 11'x20') I did like the idea of a 14" saw that had a 14" re-saw capacity as the LT14-3000 and LT14 SUV are claiming. However, I know these are newer models and haven't done enough homework to know what the trade off realistically is. All I know is they are more expensive, either way. If a scratch and dent discount brought it down closer to the range of the 513X2B, I'd give it a harder look. For instance, on the Laguna, what is the difference between the Laguna LT14SE, which has a resaw of 12" and the LT14 3000, which has 14" of resaw but is nearly $500 cheaper. Like I said, I haven't done my homework sufficiently there. It ultimately will come down to timing and price. It's gotta be in the the right price range within the next month or two or it's looking like it'll be the 513X2B.

Scott T Smith
02-11-2011, 8:43 PM
Doug, I have a 513XB2 and I like it a lot. It beats the heck out of the old manual foot brake system.

Douglas Clark
02-16-2011, 3:56 AM
OK... a quick follow up for all who took a moment to respond. I pulled the trigger today on the 513X2B!!! :D I was not deaf to those of you who were concerned about me missing the boat price wise because I waited to long (although, I will be waiting a while to receive it as it is apparently on backorder till April).

Enough of you expressed affection or interest for the brake that I decided it was worth the extra $100. The thing that put me over the top was safety. I have very young children and while I work my butt off to be safe and attentive, I take nothing for granted when it comes to what can happen in the 30 seconds it takes for the wheels to stop spinning. Also, I noticed in the manual that the 513X2B has the magnetic switch and an key controlled on/off, which I see as one more extra piece of protection against an overly curious child trying to plug in a machine and turn it on when daddy is gone. Also, I'm probably gonna take John's advice (from a different thread) and wire up a secondary foot-operated on/off switch, too. I have an old MIDI foot switch that might actually work for the job. Gotta do some more looking into that.

Anyhow... thanks for the encouragement. Mission accomplished!