PDA

View Full Version : Shopsmith Mark V model 510.

David McCubrey
02-10-2011, 3:06 PM
does anyone have experiance with the "shopsmith Mark V model 510. I am an amature drum builder making stave drums . I was wondering if i should guy this since i have a guy who has it on craigslist for 350 and new it's 3500 .

Dave Lehnert
02-10-2011, 3:45 PM
I have used a Shopsmith 510 since 1989. The thing is built like a tank. A deal at $350

You will find some people love it or hate it. It is a great tool if you are limited on space. Of course free-standing tools are more convenient but take up much more space. And the Shopsmith is made in Dayton Ohio.

Ron Jones near Indy
02-10-2011, 9:06 PM
IF it is in good shape with all standard accessories included that price is a steal. I have one and use it for the drill press, disc sander and lathe functions mostly. Dave is right--well built and strong. Table saw function is the weak point in my opinion primarily because the table tilts instead of the arbor.

David McCubrey
02-11-2011, 8:01 AM
thanks Guys. Well, i am an amatuer drum building and i was looking for a tool to cut stave angles. so a table saw function is essential and the angles have to be dead on no matter what. that lathe would be a bonus to turn the drum to a circle. so we'll see. a table saw is the most important so buying a table saw may be first. I have jig to turn the drum into circles now. but the lathe would be more precise.