PDA

View Full Version : MiniMax mortiser attachment?

Chris Nolin
02-10-2011, 12:47 PM
I recently bought a used MiniMax FS-41 Elite jointer/planer. Along with the purchase, MiniMax agreed to send new plastic covers that had been shattered while it was being used and shipped as a demo. Because of some extraordinarily long delays getting these parts, MiniMax recently offered me a significant discount on a brand new mortiser attachment (i.e., I would save about $500 on the purchase). This seems like a valuable offer considering the rarity of a sale on MiniMax accessories.

The problem is, I have a Festool Domino and a floor-standing dedicated mortiser already, so I don't know if I will ever need this device. As I write this, I feel like I'm answering my own question, but the offered discount seems too good to pass up.

So, does anyone think this mortiser is a must-have, even with the other mortising options already available? If so, why? What capabilities will I gain by adding this piece of equipment to the quiver?

(Sorry, I thought I was in "General Woodworking and Power Tools" when I started this post. My apologies.) Fixed - Moderator

Leigh Betsch
02-10-2011, 2:15 PM
I have the MM FS41 Elite with the mortiser also. I do like the mortiser but it is heavy, not all that fun to put on, when it is on you can just leave it on but I get tired of working around it when I'm jointing and planing, so I have it off most of the time. I don't have another mortiser option but I think if I had a domino or dedicated mortiser, I would never use the MM just because it wouldn't be as convenient.

Mike Ruggeri
02-10-2011, 3:00 PM
I have the MM mortiser on my CU300. I too, don't leave it on all the time as I don't use it very ofter. I built a "holder" for it on a wall near the machine so I just have to pick it up and move it over to the CU300 when I use it (the "holder" is basically 2 lag bolts coming out of the wall that matchs the attachment slots in the mortiser). I don't have a hollow chisel mortiser or a Domino. I'm not sure how much I would use it if I already had a hollow chisel mortiser but would think it would go well with a Domino (MM to make larger mortises and Domino for smaller items).

Mike

Mike Hollingsworth
02-10-2011, 3:44 PM
The mortiser for my CU300 collects dust in my attic.

Norman Hitt
02-10-2011, 3:52 PM
Leigh, (& others), somewhere in the MM archives there is the simple plans that an owner built for a short roll around stand for the mortiser that requires "NO" lifting and works great. Go to the MM Forum and ask Charlie Plesums to point out where it is located. I think he built one himself IIRC. When the mortiser is on the stand, you just roll it up against the J/P and crank the height control to lower it onto the two stud bolts on the side of the J/P and then tighten the bolts, then crank it again and roll the stand away.

Joe Zerafa
02-10-2011, 5:46 PM
I built the cart as per the MM yahoo forum that Norman mentions above, works really well.

I too have a Domino and use it 99% of the time, unless your working on large pieces and therefore in need of large mortices I think the Domino is the better choice for floating tenons.

joez

Chris Fournier
02-11-2011, 1:25 AM
I have had two Minmax machines and I have opted for the slot mortisers on both. Yeah, they're heavy and no I don't leave them on the machine. This attachment does things that the Domino can't even dream of. Get it if the price is right.

Chris Mann
02-11-2011, 4:44 PM
I have the domino and the Minimax mortising attachment. Anything that requires large floating tenons, I use the Minimax. That'd be interior/exterior doors, table legs, etc. But it does get in the way, so I also made the cart and keep it on that versus on the machine full time. If I already had a floor standing mortiser, I wouldn't see the reason for the Minimax. I'd push for the euro guard or more tersa blades or maybe an Aigner extension table instead.

Jim Becker
02-12-2011, 9:19 PM
I don't have the mortiser for my FS-350 J/P. This earlier version machine had the mortiser attach to the back of the tool, rather than the front like the FS-35 Smart and that just wouldn't work in my shop. I have played with the mortiser on Mark Singer's FS41 Elite while visiting him a few years ago, and I can honestly say, that I wish I had the capability. That said, since you have the Domino, you have a super solution already...and if it were me, I wouldn't pay the money to buy the mortiser in that case.

Chris Nolin
02-14-2011, 10:15 AM
You guys really turned me around on this decision. At first I was thinking I had to buy it--"too good a deal" and all. I'm used to the standard mix of opinions from which I'd have to glean the best path. Instead, everyone seemed to say the same thing. So, I'm not known for passing up a good deal, but you made me realize it's not a good deal if you don't actually need it. I appreciate all the comments! Thank you!

If I can add a stealthy bit of praise for MiniMax customer support, they also also offered me the same discount on the Euro-guard (which Chris Mann recommended above), and I just ordered it. Plus they're sending a free set of Tersa knives too, all because of the long wait for parts from Italy. Cheers!

Jim Becker
02-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Yea, you WANT the Euro-guard...a big, plastic pork-chop just is too cumbersome. I went through two of them on my FS-350 before I broke down and ordered the Euro-guard...which I absolutely love.

Frank Drew
02-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Chris,

Whether or not this accessory makes sense for your situation and the kind of work you'll be doing, horizontal slot mortisers are a great improvement over hollow chisel mortisers, IMO -- faster and cleaner cutting, much more versatile.....

Robert LaPlaca
02-16-2011, 6:08 PM
Jeez, I have a Minimax-FS41 Elite vintage 2005, I bought the slot mortiser for the machine and consider it one of the best purchases I have made, next the the jointer/planer itself. I leave the Elite mortiser on the machine permanently, for my machine the mortiser is in the back of the machine.. Love how fast, clean, quiet and accurate the machine can excavate mortises

Jim Becker
02-18-2011, 8:50 PM
Robert, the mortiser really is a great tool and I might have bought one for my FS350 if my shop space would have allowed for the back-mounted device to be usable. But I don't have that luxury. For the OP, since he already has the Festool Domino system, the investment in the MM mortiser would have a huge mount of overlap in functionality.

Frank Drew
02-18-2011, 9:24 PM
I'm not at all familiar with the capabilities of the Festool Domino; is it suitable for larger work, like passage and exterior doors, larger tables, beds, etc.?

Robert LaPlaca
02-18-2011, 9:50 PM
Robert, the mortiser really is a great tool and I might have bought one for my FS350 if my shop space would have allowed for the back-mounted device to be usable. But I don't have that luxury. For the OP, since he already has the Festool Domino system, the investment in the MM mortiser would have a huge mount of overlap in functionality.

Jim, I admit that the floor standing dedicated mortiser the OP said he owned would offer comparable functionally to the MM mortiser.. I will completely side step the comparison with the Domino, since I don't own one or know that much about the machine, other than to comment that is sure is much more portable than the Elite Mortiser, for sure..

If one was happy with the results they are getting from the floor standing mortiser, then maybe the Euro guard would be a more worth while accessory than the MM slot mortiser..

Jim Becker
02-27-2011, 8:19 PM
Jim, I admit that the floor standing dedicated mortiser the OP said he owned would offer comparable functionally to the MM mortiser.

D'oh!!!! I completely missed the dedicated mortiser in the OP. Sheesh...in that case, no way would the MM mortiser make sense unless he wanted to free up the floor space taken by the dedicated machine and couldn't be served well with the Domino for anything were it shines.