PDA

View Full Version : Latest Suspended Form

Dick Wilson
02-10-2011, 12:15 PM
This piece is walnut and maple burl. Approx. 15 inches tall. I have always loved the spikes uncovered when the bark is picked out. The final is burl as well. After 6 attempts I finally got the finial turned. This burl was dry and fragile. Now I have 5 stubby finials :D for other work. Because the burl is fragile I left the uprights wider and thicker than I would have liked. My big concern, of course, was weakening them too much. The walnut hollow form is pierced with a Dremel and a roto-zip tile cutter. I used paper hole re-182130inforcers attached to entire piece as layout guides. The uprights are bookmatched.

I e-mailed Alan Carter over on WOW to post a critique of this piece. He was nice enough to give me an honest assessment. His comments were that the uprights are too wide, the uprights could be a little further away from the turning, the pin posts could be a little higher on the turning, the base is a little thicker than it should be, and the uprights don't exactly flow with the hollow form.

I am very grateful for his comments. I sure learn more from this than I do from videos.
As always comments and critiques are more than welcome.

David E Keller
02-10-2011, 12:21 PM
All in all it's a nice looking piece, and Mr. Carter is certainly more qualified than I am to give feedback. On the topic of the bulkiness of the uprights, could those be pierced or perforated in some way to lessen their visual impact? I don't think I've seen much of that type of embellishment.

You're a better man than I am for trying to make finials from that maple burl... If you want to do more of that, it might be worthwhile to have some pieces stabilized as I've found them easier for detailed work.

Thanks for sharing!

John Keeton
02-10-2011, 12:25 PM
Dick, this one is getting much closer to my personal tastes! Alan does some unbelievable work, but as I stated before, it just doesn't appeal to me. But, I think you need to understand his comments (or those of anyone!) come from his sense of style. I do agree with "pin posts could be a little higher on the turning ... and the uprights don't exactly flow with the hollow form." But, I find the mass of the base and uprights very appealing and if combined with a more organic form, I think it would be a knock out combo. The only other comment would be that I would set the form higher in the uprights - perhaps with the top about even with the top of the uprights. Again, just my personal taste.

Dick Wilson
02-10-2011, 12:38 PM
David, I soaked them in thin CA glue as I was turning and still had them break. I probably should have mailed them to John to get the real deal.

Dick Wilson
02-10-2011, 12:50 PM
John,

If I remember correctly, that was one of his points: that the hollow form could have been raised up higher. The other concern I have now :-((( is that the piercing makes it a little busy. The grain in the burl is sort of circular and (I just thought of this) a solid hollow form with some type of circular carving pattern might look better. It would be a heck of a lot less work :-)) I like the idea of piercing/holes that David mentioned above.

I bet my next suspended form looks a lot different. Thanks for commenting.

Jon Prouty
02-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Hi Dick

John beat me to the comment about raising the form in the uprights - that was my initial impression. While I have not progressed to your abilities yet, I hope to one day be on a similar journey - very nicely done.

Two other ideas come to mind with this particular form... one would be an alternate material for the pins to hold the form (I'm envisioning an oiled broonze metallic look). I like the materials in such a complex form to be three rather than two (an accent that may not be noticed by most - it is art after all). The other would be an alteration to how the uprights are positioned (perhaps two uprights at an angle of around 120 degrees to each other rather than the 180). This would allow the turned and pierced form to appear to be thrust out into the viewers perspective.

I do like the weight of the base.... perhaps the addition of a small hollow (shallow cupping) right under the form to give it another dimension would bring additional life to the base. I envision the diameter just short of where the uprights begin.

Anyway, great progression in your work...

Jon

John Keeton
02-10-2011, 1:09 PM
Dick, I would probably prefer a contrast in the form with the uprights. Again, keeping in mind that I prefer the works of Burchard, with the burl in this piece having so much visual presence, I think a form with little embellishments, but of superb and complimentary form, would look better. In Burchard's pieces that were featured in the AAW article, he combined a rugged burl form with very simple supports with clean lines, and of contrasting color. As Jon noted, three supports seem to be more balanced. I like the idea of contrasting connecting pins, too. If you try to embellish the form, it gets really busy. There is some of that going on here.

Please understand - your execution of these pieces is really very, very nice!! And, they represent your vision - your art! They are fine as they are, and will appeal to many folks. I am only offering my opinions based on my personal tastes. Similar to my feelings of Alan Carter's work. It is extremely nice work, with precision and execution one just does not see everyday. But, beyond my jaw dropping admiration for his abilities, it does nothing for me esthetically. I am much more drawn to Burchard's style, so my comments are tainted!

And, Dick, you have done better with that burl finial than I ever could!!

Dick Wilson
02-10-2011, 1:38 PM
John, All I know is I can't get the burl piece you just posted out of my head. I would love to see a suspended form from you. I am positive it would be a jaw dropper.

What I love about forums like this is that people with all levels of ability see things from a different perspective. Nothing is written in stone. Ya take it all in and hopefully it helps in creating something new and different.

Dick Wilson
02-10-2011, 1:45 PM
Jon, You make excellent observations. I had better start writing down the ideas, suggestions, and visions. Being an old fart, my memory ain't what it used to be. :-))) Two supports at 120 degrees from each other...hmmmm. It would look like the hollow form is being handed/offered to the viewer. Now you have my mental juices flowing!!! Thanks much.

Bernie Weishapl
02-10-2011, 1:59 PM
Dick that is one pretty piece. I like it as is and think if you pierced the uprights it would make the piece to busy. Nicely done.

Baxter Smith
02-10-2011, 2:22 PM
That is very nice. I don't have the wisdom to go beyond that!

Tim Thiebaut
02-10-2011, 2:30 PM
Very nice Dick, I think the uprights and the bottom are beautiful, I love the flowing look of the uprights as they go away from the center piece it reminds me of a pair of wings, and to me the base is a perfect thickness, there is nothing wrong with a little mass once in a while, on something like this it works to me. There is one thing I noticed that I dont think anyone has brought up, and maybe this is just the way the photo is shot, but where the uprights meet the base it seems like they are not square and they are gaps showing.

Jon Lanier
02-10-2011, 2:39 PM
I think John had it right when our critiques are from 'our sense of style.' It may not have a modern feel to it, but I like it, I see as something that some religious group from the past would use in a ritual of sorts. Keep pounding...errr turning away at it and take what your learn from this experience into your next project.

Mark Hubl
02-10-2011, 2:54 PM
Dick,

First, welcome aboard. I enjoyed seeing your first posts and the other suspended pieces you did. I think they are all very well done. I really like the concept of this piece. I think the burl looks great, and I do like the piercing on the piece. I think that adds lightness that highlights the burl. Kudo's on doing a burl finial. I think others have supplied you with good insight as to what would push the work to an even higher level. I look forward to seeing the next and the next. Nice stuff.

Tim Rinehart
02-10-2011, 2:55 PM
Dick, I like these suspended forms, I really do. I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty to see what a slight modification would make, by shortening the supports (effectively raising the form, from a relative standpoint, as suggested).
I wasn't able to visualize this without giving this a try...and did so for my own education. I see it's merits. See what you think.
Great work overall. I think the comment about integrating something organic in this (what part of wood isn't?? :-D) may also help. I'm assuming this suggestion is towards something like a natural branch or other support, with a little contrasting color.
This is a bold piece, and most of the comments are raising an already beautiful piece to the next level as many perceive it.
Nice, very nice.!!

Dick Wilson
02-10-2011, 4:03 PM
Tim, I think what you are referring to are voids natural to the burl. Glad you like the piece.

Dick Wilson
02-10-2011, 4:20 PM
Hmmm, that does look a lot different. On this piece and my other pieces the legs come up higher than the top of the HF. On you photo the supports now have an almost "overkill" look ( because of the width ) to them next to the HF. The next one I do I will keep the supports no higher than the top. Ya know you've arrived when someone photoshops you work. :-)))))). Thanks Tim

Tim Rinehart
02-10-2011, 4:51 PM
Hmmm, that does look a lot different. On this piece and my other pieces the legs come up higher than the top of the HF. On you photo the supports now have an almost "overkill" look ( because of the width ) to them next to the HF. The next one I do I will keep the supports no higher than the top. Ya know you've arrived when someone photoshops you work. :-)))))). Thanks Tim
As I said, I really like these suspended pieces, and am taking in what I see others do to help form ideas in my own mind on what direction I'd like to take. It's easy to photoshop someone else's stuff and be subjective about it...it's much more difficult to do something of your own, photoshop it, and be a subjective judge of something you've put alot of time and effort into. You really have to get alot of input to form opinions on what works and what doesn't to appeal to masses. Much of the really great work we see in this forum has been discussed between turners before completion and final posting. Lastly..not all forms will appeal to everyone. At some point, you have to commit yourself to saying YOU like it, and are willing to accept that not all will.