PDA

View Full Version : Which hollowing setup?

Nick Fournier
02-10-2011, 11:55 AM
So, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and acquire a hollowing system. I've hand hollowed one piece and really don't want to do that again, but I want to produce hollow forms.

Currently, I see three options:

1. Lyle Jamieson: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Hollowing_Tools___Jamieson_Hollowi ng_Tools___Complete_Jamieson_Hollowing_System___ja m_complete?Args=
2. Monster Hollowing
3. Build my own

I currently turn on a Nova 1624 and will likely turn on this lathe for a long time. So, does anyone have experience with the Jamieson hollower? For that price it seems like a good deal especially compared to the monster at more than 2x the price.

So what would you do?

Scott Hubl
02-10-2011, 12:15 PM
I have the Lyle Jamieson captured systen with laser with a 3520B lathe.

I like it. I bought mine used from the classifieds on woodnet a couple years ago.

Check out Lyles website, he even has free plans to build your own like his or will sell you his already made up.

Make some parts and buy others to save some cash if you have a mig welder or know someone that does.

If you decide to go with Lyles setup, get his DVD.

Bernie Weishapl
02-10-2011, 12:16 PM
I have both the monster articulating arm unit and the monster captured unit. Love them both. If I could have only one it would be the articulating arm unit.

David E Keller
02-10-2011, 12:16 PM
I've got a monster, and I like it. If you've got the tools and skills to build your own, I think that's probably the most appealing way to go.

John Keeton
02-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Nick, there have been several similar threads on this topic, and nearly without exception you will get all the Jamieson owners stating how they love their system, all the Monster owners stating the same, etc.

It really is going to come down to your personal needs, finances, etc. I have never seen a Jamieson system, so I know nothing of the quality or complexity. I can simply say that I feel the Monster is very fairly priced for what one gets and I certainly do not regret my choice.

What might help you more than anything was to hear from someone that has used both systems.

Nick Fournier
02-10-2011, 12:42 PM
John, actually I was hoping that someone who had experience with both could comment on the pros and cons of each. I could build my own -- I have some welding experience and a friend with a very nice welding setup -- but for the price of the Jamieson setup I think I'd almost be interested in just purchasing it.

Yet, everyone around here raves about the Monster tools, so I'm a little torn. The Monster would be harder to convince my wife I needed, but I'm sure it could be done :)

Richard Coers
02-10-2011, 1:24 PM
Here was a good discussion at the end of Jan 2011.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?158276-Monster-Question

Edward Bartimmo
02-10-2011, 1:34 PM
Nick,

I have the rare privellege of having both systems. My original system was the Jamieson system (captured arm). The Monster products are not as well known in the South. I was first person in the Houston club to purchase one about 8 months ago. I decided to purchase the Monster articulating arm system, and then bumped it up to the deluxe monster setup that includes both the articulated arm system and the captured arm system. Yes...I already had the Jamieson captured arm...why would I purchase the Monster captured arm system. Simply because my turning club had never seen a comparison and this was the only way that we could compare the captured arm systems side by side. My dad and brother also turn so I figured one or the other could whichever captured arm system that I liked less.

Down to the nuts and bolts...Monster vs Jamieson...
1. Price - All three systems (Jamieson, Monster Articulating Arm, Monster Captured Arm) are about the same in price when the laser is included in the Jamieson system
2. Laser - Monster Laser is much better (finer pinpoint laser and better engineered support arm)
3. Cutters - Monster system comes with full array of cutters as part of package whereas Jamieson comes with one cutter head. That said both systems will take a number of different style cutters made by other manufactureres...you just have to buy them.
4. Construction - Both are manufactured well. The articulating system has a lot more parts. I like the modularity of the Monster's captured arm support rest.

Okay...So it comes down to what you want to turn. The articulating arm system provides tremendous versatility and range of motion allowing you to easily do small to larger pieces with tight corners. Arguably its limitation is that the system is not designed for deep turning. The joints in the articulating arm provide increased range of motion (positive), but as pressure increases on bar from going deeper so does the potential for vibration and movement at each joint. I think everyone will tell you that the Monster articulating is fine up to 12" deep, and possibly up to 15" deep with extremely light cuts and small cutter surface to reduce the torque. If you plan to focus on large and deep hollowings then a rigid system is best. The majority of turners creating pieces 12" or wider and 12" and deeper are using a Jamieson style system.

One thing to keep in mind is that articulating arm systems are relatively new and not as many out there. So all of the hollow vessels that you see that are more than a couple of years old were either turned using handhald tools or by a Jamieson styly captured arm system.

Personnally, if you want a full range of sizes and shapes that can be turned (versatility) and best value (cutters alone are worth half the price) then I would go with the Monster articulating system. Later, when you decide that you want big and deep you can either buy or build an oversized rigid captured arm system.

Have Fun...there is no bad choice

Todd Bin
02-10-2011, 4:25 PM
Not to throw a spanner in the works but nobody seems to discuss the spin doctor system (also known as the clark hollowing system). It looks good and is a forward captured system and rides on a bearing in the back. Here is a link or you can google spin doctor lathe. I have no affiliation with this guy just another system to consider and debate.

http://www.theokspindoctor.com/

~Todd