PDA

View Full Version : Which bandsaw fence?

Mike Cozad
02-10-2011, 7:10 AM
I am looking at the Kreg precision bandsaw fence and the Carter Magfence. Any recommendations or experiences?

Thanks,

Van Huskey
02-10-2011, 8:15 AM
I am looking at the Kreg precision bandsaw fence and the Carter Magfence. Any recommendations or experiences?

Thanks,

The positive for the mag fence is that it can be used all over the shop and has t-slots and allows you to setup jigs etc right where you need them on multiple machines, I have gotten a lot of use out of mine.

However, when it comes to doing the single job of acting as a fence for your bandsaw the Kreg fence just does a simpler and better job although it is a one trick pony in comparison.

John Coloccia
02-10-2011, 8:31 AM
If you push too hard against the MagFence, it can move. I do like the MagFence, but I do enough wide resawing (10"+), where it takes good pressure to keep everything straight, that I'm not comfortable with the MagFence. In fact, I was thinking just yesterday that I may pick up the Kreg if my local Woodcraft has one in stock. Kreg's site says they're unavailable for some reason.

Lee Schierer
02-10-2011, 9:04 AM
I have the Fast Track version of the Kreg band saw fence and really like it. It switches easily from left to right, can be aligned to compensate for drift if needed and has a nice resaw fence attachment.

David Gaab
02-10-2011, 12:25 PM
Also take a look at the Jet fence if you haven't already. I picked one up off ebay (brand new) for $65. Very nice, with a resaw attachment.

Kyle Iwamoto
02-10-2011, 12:56 PM
I have a Kreg fence. I don't have experience with the Carter. There are a lot of accessories that you can get for the Kreg. Micro adjust, and a tall resaw to name a couple. The fence does not appear as solid as I would want, but all I have to compare to is my table saw Bies. It does everything I need, and I have not got it to deflect under normal use, so it must be pretty solid, despite its looks.

Just my $0.02.

Kevin Gregoire
02-10-2011, 5:36 PM
the kreg fence should come standard on every new bandsaw as far as im concerned. i had the kreg fence and micro adjuster on a 14" ridgid and loved it.
i thought i needed to upgrade to a better saw so i got a 14" grizzly and it looked like it had a nice fence on it but it was a huge mistake upgrading. i miss
my ridgid very much and the kreg fence i let go with it. i will be getting another one if i keep the grizzly.

anyway, you will not regret getting the kreg and the micro adjuster is a very good combination to have.

John Hollaway
02-11-2011, 4:46 PM
Mike, I've recently installed the Woodhaven bandsaw fence, and it's a real pleasure to use. In addition to being extremely adjustable, it also locks in at both ends of the table. You wouldn't be unhappy with one.

John

Jonathan Spool
02-11-2011, 5:42 PM
Mike, what are you looking to do with your fence. Are you just using it to cut material straight and to a certain width, or do you plan to use it for resawing?

Josh Bowman
02-11-2011, 6:38 PM
Mike, let's add another to your list. The Laguna Tools Drift master. I really like mine. There's no reason It shouldn't fit any bandsaw.......I had to drill and adjust and work with it to get it to go on a Laguna...go figure!!! But it's a strong stable fence and very precise.

Mike Cozad
02-11-2011, 6:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies. The info provided is very helpful.

Jonathan, I will actually be going after both functions with the fence.