PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Keeton WoWs em again...

David DeCristoforo
02-09-2011, 8:35 PM
Just in case anyone missed it, John's new piece made the WoW cover today. Could there have been any doubt? Maybe if you hadn't seen Steve's purple and acrylic piece there might not have been. Must have been a tough choice! Anyway, congrats again, John.

Alan Trout
02-09-2011, 9:04 PM
John, Again congratulations.

Alan

Steve Schlumpf
02-09-2011, 9:28 PM
A BIG Congrats to John! I am very happy to see him get the recognition he deserves on his creations! I look forward to seeing what he comes up with next!

David E Keller
02-09-2011, 9:52 PM
Yep, well deserved recognition for a great looking piece! Congrats, John!

Baxter Smith
02-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Congratulations John! Can't say I am surprised! Thought it was pretty special as soon as I looked at the first picture.

Bernie Weishapl
02-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Congrats John. I am not surprised. Well deserved.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Congrats John!

I think John, Double D and Steve have a competiton going.

charlie knighton
02-09-2011, 11:31 PM
congratulations, John

Curt Fuller
02-09-2011, 11:47 PM
Way to go John!

Scott Hackler
02-10-2011, 12:14 AM
Congrats John. Your turnings make me want to step it up a notch!

Tim Thiebaut
02-10-2011, 12:48 AM
Congrats, after reading what one person posted earlier today I went and looked at your website, I had no idea you had one until I read the post earlier...you have a lot of things that could easily make the cover of WoW! If I can become even a fraction as good as all you top turners around here, guys and gals, I will be thrilled!

John Keeton
02-10-2011, 6:59 AM
Thanks, guys! But really, the one thing that made this piece attractive to most folks was the holly being left natural. Keep in mind that I wanted to darken it, but the "design committee" (Ms. Keeton and Steve) outvoted me, so without Steve's input, this would not have happened! And, I agree with David D., Steve's Purple Passion was the clear winner in my book.

Tim, you are about a year behind me in turning experience, and catching up quick!! There is no better place to learn than right here on the creek! I see great things coming for you.

Tony De Masi
02-10-2011, 9:03 AM
Congrats, AGAIN, John. Maybe it's time to retire for good and truly become a full time turner.

Joe Little
02-10-2011, 9:18 AM
Congrats John, you have really advanced your turning abilities in a relatively short time. I am jealous.:D

Tim Rinehart
02-10-2011, 9:30 AM
Well done again John. I had no doubts in your ability to keep us going 'aaaahhhhh'. I must say though that your competition with Steve's piece made it a likely close decision. While we've all come to expect certain typical elements, i.e black finials, it's nice to see both you and Steve making such departures as you do to keep us all thinking outside the box, whenever possible. That to me is a sign of an arteest, not just someone who does what's already being done, though possibly very well.

Cathy Schaewe
02-10-2011, 9:50 AM
Congrats John!

I think John, Double D and Steve have a competiton going.
Everybody else get out of the way!

bob svoboda
02-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Good on ya, John. Your work inspires all of us to push our creative limits.

John Keeton
02-10-2011, 10:24 AM
You all are just too kind!! I appreciate the applause and the comments, but I do think Steve's Purple Passion was far more artfully inspired than was the Pagoda.
...it's nice to see both you and Steve making such departures as you do to keep us all thinking outside the box, whenever possible.Steve and I have exchanged these exact thoughts over the past day or two. We both feel that doing "what is expected" will please the masses most of the time. But, one only moves beyond that point by trying something different, even at the risk of not being accepted by the masses. So, when you see a turner post something that just is entirely different from anything you have seen before, even if it doesn't "click" for you, it is a special moment for that person. They are risking "acceptance" by pushing the envelope. A pretty bold move, really. And, that is what Steve did. The Pagoda, other than the whiteness of the holly, is just another suspended form.

David DeCristoforo
02-10-2011, 10:52 AM
"I think John, Double D and Steve have a competiton going."

"Everybody else get out of the way!"

Before I dive into the day's moving demands, I would like to comment on this.

I don't feel like there is a "competition" going on here. I feel like this is a place where which one can flourish and thrive and grow without having to "compete". There are so many talented people posting on the WoW site but there are many that post here as well and most of the people who post here are much more interested in sharing and creating a virtual environment where ideas can be freely exchanged without competing with each other.

I have alluded to the idea of the "self actualizer" on several occasions. The self actualizer can take pleasure in the successes of others. John K and Steve S are great examples of this. I have gotten so much encouragement from these guys as well as many others. For me, it is an honor to have my work placed on the same shelf.

I don't mean to suggest that competition is inherently a "bad" thing because it can be just the opposite. I just don't want anyone to think that I was trying to diminish the excellence of John's piece by comparing it to Steve's. Both were excellent and I would not have enjoyed having to select one over the other. If it had been my choice, I would have wimped out and done a shared cover.

Onward...

Roger Chandler
02-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Well said David! I don't think we compete with one another here on this forum, I believe we compliment one another! I mean by compliment, that we all try to help one another lift the level of our turning skills and competence. I find a warm, inviting atmosphere where ideas, questions and challenges can be shared, and what stumps one turner, will receive a response from others who have overcome the same problem.

This forum is invaluable, and our moderators as well as many of the posters here all make this a helpful environment where encouragement is the order of the day, not put downs, not comparisons that show up someone else's work. The fact that such fine turnings as the ones you mentioned in this thread are posted here, does help elevate the desire of those who seek to attain a competency and high degree of skill levels. Those postings give inspiration and show us what "can be" if we will pursue the excellence that we see displayed on this forum.

Thanks for your observations............ and thanks to the mods for their example and helpfulness. Also, thanks to all the turners who share.......you make this a great place to learn!

Mark Hubl
02-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Congrats John. Keep WoW'n them.

gary Zimmel
02-10-2011, 9:43 PM
One more congrats John.

John Keeton
02-11-2011, 7:18 AM
Thanks, Mark and Gary, I appreciate your encouragement!

Roland Martin
02-11-2011, 7:34 AM
Congratulations, John. Very well done.

Harry Robinette
02-11-2011, 11:26 PM
John
Well I think it's all been said but CONGRATES on WOW and the piece that won it.As always beautiful turning again.

Michelle Rich
02-12-2011, 8:05 AM
Oh for gosh sakes,;) John. I've changed my homepage to the John Keeton WOW front page. This way I miss nothing important in woodturning! EEEKKK!:rolleyes: I truly love the piece. But could you , just once, make something that has a tiny flaw? :D or a platter? or an eatin' bowl?:) Good goin' John. The front page of WOW was made for work like yours

John Keeton
02-12-2011, 8:15 AM
Roland and Harry, thanks! Michelle, from a lady that can do some unbelievable work, those are special words. But, yes, I can screw one up just as well as anyone!!