PDA

View Full Version : Half Sheet Sander VS 5" Random Orbit Sanders

Andrew Joiner
02-09-2011, 5:20 PM
I used 2- Porter Cable 505 half sheet sanders one in each hand 30 years ago. They were the standard finish sander back then . I've been using 5" RO sanders in recent years and just got a Milwaukee 6021-21 that works fine and is a good value price wise.

I have been trying to make my sanding go faster, so I thought what about the latest 1/2 sheet sanders. A 1/2 sheet has way more area than a 5" disk. Even more than a 6" disk. Regular paper is cheaper than H&L disks and readily available.
I've tried a Bosch 6" RO sander but I needed to hold it with 2 hands. So I went to my local dealer and asked to try sanders one could use one handed.
I tested the 5" Festool ETS 125 and the Festool RS 2E half sheet side by side. The 5'' was slower at removing pencil marks than the RS 2E. The ETS 125 had near new 100 grit in it but the RS 2E had a fresh 120 grit sheet. Both worked fine one handed. So with that in mind I was impressed with the RS 2E. The ETS 125 didn't seem any better than my Milwaukee 6021-21 I made some notes and thought that maybe the modern half sheets have improved over the old 505's.

I saw the Bosch 1293D 1/2-Sheet was well reviewed on Amazon and it's made in Switzerland like the fine Bosch jig saw I have.

So I just received the new Bosch 1293D 1/2-Sheet. $144 and Swiss made. I tested it side by side with the $60 Milwaukee 6021-21 made in China.

I'm disappointed . I see no reason to keep the Bosch. It's slightly slower than the Milwaukee and heavier. I guess the Bosch may be better on large flat areas with 320 or finer, but I rarely do that.

Oh well. I hope Amazon will take it back. I see Bosch has a 30 day satisfaction warranty.

All the sanders I tested left the same minimal swirl finish.
Anyone else have suggestions on a one handed sander that's fast?

Larry Edgerton
02-09-2011, 5:52 PM
Andrew

What do you have for air? If you have a big enough compressor, switch to air tools. Way faster! They are a little obnoxious noise wise, but I make mufflers out of inline gas filters and it quiets them down nicely. I have a straight line, very aggressive, DA's a jitterbug, a 3"DA, very handy and my favorite a random orbit air board.

I bougt a crapload of Jatoba a few years ago and had to come up with a better way. I always had the airtools, just never used them on wood. One of those "Duh" moments. My mother is blond.....

Andrew Joiner
02-09-2011, 7:26 PM
Thanks Larry. I'd like to stay with electric. I have a small compressor.

Callan Campbell
02-09-2011, 8:13 PM
Andrew, I own the Festool 1/2 sheet sander you posted about. I don't consider it as fast or aggressive at removing material when compared to the 6" ROS Festool with a 5mm orbit that I also own. I use my RS 2E strictly as a finish sander with the grain using higher grit paper. Perhaps you also need to check the 6" ROS or its dual- mode brother Rotex version instead of the smaller 125/5" model that you tried. Also, just to confuse things a bit with the ETS models,the orbit pattern is available in either fine,/ 3mm, or 5mm, which is the more aggresive version. Most stores/dealers will have the 3mm model out for a demo since they probably move more of them in sales. Paper/abrasive choice with using Festool sanders is also key. I used way too much Brilliant abrasives/paper for a number of years when I bought my first Festool sander in 2004. For bare wood, Rubin gets you there faster. What paper/abrasive did the store have the sanders equipped with? Rubin is red, Brilliant is white. Good luck with your search

Greg R Bradley
02-09-2011, 8:41 PM
Try the Festool ETS150/5. You won't return it.

I DID return the Bosch 1/2 sheet sander.

Brice Burrell
02-10-2011, 9:32 AM
Try the Festool ETS150/5. You won't return it.....

I agree with Greg. The ETS150 sanders are first rate and most certainly worth the premium price. Don't be tempted to go with the 3 mm stroke version if you're doing woodworking. There is a misconception among woodworks (and dealers) that the smaller stroke will produce a finer finish in wood. While the /3 will produce a finer scratch pattren than that of the /5, it won't be noticable until you get to ultra fine finishes that aren't commonly used in woodworking. You'll be much beeter served with the faster material removal of the /5 for woodworking. If you're doing body work/painting cars, well that would be different...

Callan mentioned Festool abrasives (sandpaper). Festool abrasives are a little different than other companies that you may be used too. They don't really have one all purpose abrasive, instead they have types that are more application specific. As Callan said Rubin is for bare wood while Brilliant will work well on finishes (although it works on wood too.) The yalso have a host of other abrasives for fine finishes and aggressive material removal too. Festool's abrasives may seem higher in price but they last longer so they are a good value. I'd suggest you buy smaller quantites at first to try out and after some use you'll have a beeter idea of what you'll want to stock up on later.

Remember, Festool has the 30 day no question asked return policy, it's no gimic, so don't be afriad to take advantage of it. Good luck.