PDA

View Full Version : Knock Down Spray Booth Complete

Matt Meiser
01-16-2005, 1:45 PM
I've completed my knock down spray booth based loosely on Highland Hardware's plans. It is mostly built from materials I had around, with the exception of 3 sheets of Luan I had to buy for the top and sides. The fan is a 20" "8800 CFM" fan I found at Harbor Freight.

It seems to work well in tests with water in my spray gun. I just sprayed water in the air for a couple minutes and did get the floor damp "inside" the booth, but not outside The filters seemed to be wetter than the floor.

Jim Becker
01-16-2005, 1:48 PM
Wow! That turned out great, Matt. It should really help with controlling that dried overspray that generally floats around the shop for awhile until it alights on everything. I know my air filter really gets a lot of it out of the air and it's only a drop in the bucket. This is a better solution...might have to build one, too.

Ted Shrader
01-16-2005, 2:18 PM
Matt -

Great ideas in your booth. What are the filters - common HVAC houlsehold or something more elaborate?

Ted

Matt Meiser
01-16-2005, 2:22 PM
Matt -

Great ideas in your booth. What are the filters - common HVAC houlsehold or something more elaborate?

Ted

They are standard $4 (each) HVAC filters.

Fred LeBail
01-16-2005, 2:50 PM
Matt.
Are you venting the filtered air outside or are you recirculating it in the shop? I would be interested to know how it works. Looks like a good idea.
Fred

Matt Meiser
01-16-2005, 2:55 PM
Here's one more shot after I stored it away. The space on top of my office is perfect.

Matt Meiser
01-16-2005, 2:57 PM
Matt.
Are you venting the filtered air outside or are you recirculating it in the shop? I would be interested to know how it works. Looks like a good idea.
Fred

The plan is that I will set it up in front of an open window and blow stuff outside.

Keith Christopher
01-18-2005, 1:54 AM
Nice booth ! I learned my lesson back about a year ago when my knockdown plastic spray booth leaked and I got a light poly dusting on the Z06 corvette ! yeah that was a toughie to explain. I emailed the everyone on advice to get it off. but as luck would have it, keeping you cars well waxed will work wonders!

Keith

William Lai
01-18-2005, 2:55 AM
Nice booth, I'd definitely build one when the times come. Did you build a box that is housing the fan? I can't quite make it out, but looks like the back is actually quite deep, and I was wondering how you deal with the knock down nature of the booth.

Btw, does it matter what kind of fan to use? I was wondering if one needs a fan that's designed to not generate any sparks, for spraying oil based finishes.

Matt Meiser
01-18-2005, 7:02 AM
William, take a look at Highland Hardware's (http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/knockdownsprayboothdesign.pdf) article, which is what I based my booth on. I only plan to spray water-based finishes, so I used a store bought fan.