PDA

View Full Version : The tale of the secret decoder ring and Felder bandsaw tilt question

Van Huskey
02-09-2011, 1:48 PM
If you read the discussions of Felder or Hammer bandsaw here you will run into the question of do they tilt 45 degrees or only 22.5 degrees. We it turns out that it is a matter of they can but they may not.

During a discussion this AM with a Felder rep on an unrelated topic I ask about the table tilt conundrum. The answer is that in Europe there are some regulations that prevent them from selling a bandsaw that tilts more than 22.5*. The key for us in NA is that there is simply a bolt or pin (forgot the exact word) that needs to be removed to open the full 45* potential, though the scale only reads to 22.5*.

Bruce Page
02-09-2011, 1:56 PM
Van, is that your bandsaw warehouse?
It depends on the work you do but in the 25-30 years of owning a bandsaw I think I have tilted the table, maybe, a half dozen times.

Van Huskey
02-09-2011, 3:00 PM
Van, is that your bandsaw warehouse?
It depends on the work you do but in the 25-30 years of owning a bandsaw I think I have tilted the table, maybe, a half dozen times.

I wish! That is from one of the West coast Felder warehouses.

It does depend a lot on ones individual work methodology. I personally tilt the table a lot but most of my tilts are within the 22.5* range, most often for dovetails, which I cut a decent amount of time on the BS instead of setting up the router jig. The one thing I di use 45* of tilt for is making cones. A few years ago I became enthralled with using cones for low casework feet. That being the case I would not be happy with my MM20 if it was my only saw, well until I made some ZCIs to use with the table tilted.

I only posted it because the "rumor" and specs on Felder's site contrasted with some peoples accounts of the lack of full 45* tilt and some peoples accounts of full 45* tilt had me wondering what was the real deal. One less thing for people to fret over if they are considering a Felder/Hammer bandsaw.

David Hawxhurst
02-09-2011, 5:24 PM
not all felders tilt to 45. here's the fb 600
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/wascallyrabbit/th_DSC_0083.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/wascallyrabbit/?action=view&current=DSC_0083.jpg)

Van Huskey
02-09-2011, 6:08 PM
not all felders tilt to 45. here's the fb 600
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/wascallyrabbit/th_DSC_0083.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/wascallyrabbit/?action=view&current=DSC_0083.jpg)

Well that is an obvious example of a 22.5* only table! I hate it when even the knowledgeable salespeople miss a spec. So now it is back up in the air, some do some don't. So much for the decoder ring!

Wes Grass
02-10-2011, 1:41 AM
Looking at mine (FB-600), with the idea that maybe there's a second hole for the clamp bolt that would allow it to swing farther if the pinion shaft were removed ...

The slot in the trunnion is longer on the other side. It looks like it could be flipped 180 and maybe reach 45°. Would require chopping the corners of the saddle to clear the table. And the rack plate/scale would be fairly useless. Funny thing is, there are holes on the opposite side of the trunnion that appear to line up with the ones used to attach the rack, although they are a smaller thread. Seem to serve no purpose otherwise, other than to hold some plug screws ;-)

Whether the table will clear the frame at 45° is another matter. An eyeball estimate suggests the odds are pretty good. Maybe one of the racks off an ACM made saw would fit. Probably have to be flipped over, and the pinion would wind up on the other side ...

Rod Sheridan
02-10-2011, 8:44 AM
Well that is an obvious example of a 22.5* only table! I hate it when even the knowledgeable salespeople miss a spec. So now it is back up in the air, some do some don't. So much for the decoder ring!

Van, I think what happened is that you're using the base model Felder decoder ring.

If you had used the Kappa model decoder ring all would have been revealed.:D

As you know, with Felder it's all about options.

regards, Rod.

Van Huskey
02-10-2011, 8:54 AM
Van, I think what happened is that you're using the base model Felder decoder ring.

If you had used the Kappa model decoder ring all would have been revealed.:D

As you know, with Felder it's all about options.

regards, Rod.

I should have known the club house wasn't that easy to get into! I have to confess I was on the phone getting a quote on a A3 31... Apparently resistance is futile.

Rod Sheridan
02-10-2011, 10:12 AM
I should have known the club house wasn't that easy to get into! I have to confess I was on the phone getting a quote on a A3 31... Apparently resistance is futile.

You will be assimilated:eek:.........regards, Rod.