PDA

View Full Version : This....is.....awesome

John Coloccia
02-09-2011, 12:33 PM
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2082330/32788/Rikon-10-Meat-Saw-with-Grinder-Model-10308.aspx

Hey Van, how about some tips setting this up to resaw jerky? I'm thinking a carbide GutMaster should last a while.

It's about time Woodcraft wised up and started catering to my other addiction....meat.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-09-2011, 12:38 PM
John.....that moving into new market!

Joe Angrisani
02-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Meatcraft franchises are available in your area. Call today.....

Ken Fitzgerald
02-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Woodbutcher.......as a name would cover both modalities....and probably applicable in my case.:D

Bill Huber
02-09-2011, 1:07 PM
So does the meat grinder work as a dust collector when cutting wood?

Anthony Whitesell
02-09-2011, 1:29 PM
Remember, bandsaws were cutting meat before they were cutting wood. If you're not careful they will cut both at once. ouch! :(

Ken Fitzgerald
02-09-2011, 1:33 PM

It probably could but I'd be suspicious of it's effectiveness.

Steve H Graham
02-09-2011, 1:37 PM
I age my own rib roasts and turn them into rib eye steaks. It's nearly impossible to cut a beef rib in half lengthwise without a band saw. This thing would be a big help to someone who buys big cuts of meat.

Neil Brooks
02-09-2011, 1:42 PM
Oh, great.

There is NO room in my shop to stack and sticker ... cows.

Bill Huber
02-09-2011, 1:52 PM
It probably could but I'd be suspicious of it's effectiveness.

When you read the fine print, the grinder can be used to make MDF when cutting wood. So I guess you would have to buy a DC for it of some type.

John Coloccia
02-09-2011, 2:47 PM
I was going to put a RibSlicer blade on mine, but someone down at the store told me it was just a repackaged wood cutting blade, and it would only last for 3 barbecues.

:D

glenn bradley
02-09-2011, 3:10 PM

I just blew coffee all over the monitor. Ya got me with that one Bill ;-))

david brum
02-09-2011, 3:15 PM
If I wanted to make top sirloin veneer to go over hamburger, what kind of glue would I use?

John Coloccia
02-09-2011, 3:21 PM
If I wanted to make top sirloin veneer to go over hamburger, what kind of glue would I use?

Moocilage

:rolleyes:

Van Huskey
02-09-2011, 3:53 PM
Funny enough I set a meat cutting saw up on Christmas of 2008. I bought a used Torrey for my grandfather to carve up his seemingly endless supply of deer carcasses. It didn't have a grinder attachment. But the really cool sliding table had me envious! I was going to buy him a LEM (Grizzly level) but found a used Torrey (Agazzani level though this was a bottom of the line Torrey) and couldn't resist. What blade did I put on it, you guessed it a Woodslicer (well actually the Kerfmaster which is the same band just much cheaper). It is a 14" saw BUT it has a 16.5" resaw height! Take that Laguna LT14SUV. I looked through my pictures but apparently I don't have even a decent shot of the saw, I will have to take one next time I am at his house.

I hear Minimax is coming out with one also, I think they are calling it the Mini-Moo, apparently aimed at the veal market.

I was looking a meat cutting Lenox blade the other day, its called the Tripe-Master.

Van Huskey
02-09-2011, 3:57 PM
Moocilage

:rolleyes:

I was thinking hoof glue but that is MUCH funnier!

Daniel Smith
02-09-2011, 4:42 PM

I might use Fench's yellow.

Chris Mahmood
02-09-2011, 5:41 PM
Does it stop automatically when it senses wood?

Carl Babel
02-09-2011, 5:46 PM
Hilarious!!!

Joe Angrisani
02-09-2011, 5:58 PM
Now THAT's funny, Chris....

Rick Moyer
02-10-2011, 9:08 AM
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2082330/32788/Rikon-10-Meat-Saw-with-Grinder-Model-10308.aspx

Hey Van, how about some tips setting this up to resaw jerky? I'm thinking a carbide GutMaster should last a while.

It's about time Woodcraft wised up and started catering to my other addiction....meat.
You must have not been perusing your Grizzly catalog as you should have;)
http://grizzly.com/products/H6246

Peter Quinn
02-10-2011, 12:27 PM
I love this! I was a chef for years in a few large restaurants with in house butchering departments and learned the basics of meat fabrication. , but only small carcus animals like lamb and baby pigs were handled. Beef came only in smaller sub primal cuts or sections. So last summer I added a 20" bs to the shop, and my wife wants to join a csa for a large pig and a beef cow. They will butcher for a price she says, but wouldn't it be nice if I just did it my self on my new bandsaw?nim thinking sure, if I add a stainless table and wash down motor, why not?duh.......

But this is my new answer. "sure honey, I'd love to butcher cows, but first I need one of these special saws and then we need to air condition my shop to 45 degrees!" oh, and a gantry with a hoist, floor drain, power washer, .... That meat will get expensive quick! I actually have the neander version called a Bone saw which looks like a giant hack saw with a bs blade in it, but I'm in no big hurry to process cows in my basement.

John A. Callaway
02-10-2011, 12:37 PM
best thread in a while :)

Chip Lindley
02-10-2011, 1:49 PM

Remember, bandsaws were cutting meat before they were cutting wood. If you're not careful they will cut both at once. ouch! :(

The BS is definately your weapon of choice, since (some) tablesaws will NOT even cut a Hotdog! Yo John! Will you be cutting your re-sawn jerky on a bevel? Be careful!

Dan Friedrichs
02-10-2011, 1:57 PM
I was going to put a RibSlicer blade on mine, but someone down at the store told me it was just a repackaged wood cutting blade, and it would only last for 3 barbecues.

:D

John, my RibSlicer lasts for at least 12 barbecues - maybe you are tensioning yours wrong? :)

Steve LaFara
02-10-2011, 10:53 PM
I hear PETA is pushing for legislation to mandate a Saw Stop feature. :)

Van Huskey
02-11-2011, 12:02 AM
The BS is definately your weapon of choice, since (some) tablesaws will NOT even cut a Hotdog! Yo John! Will you be cutting your re-sawn jerky on a bevel? Be careful!

I have it on good authority (written by Mr. Steve Gass' own hand) that the dirty little secret of table saws is that NONE of them will cut a hotdog, it is just the SS that won't cut fingers...

Michael MacDonald
02-11-2011, 12:32 AM
heads up to lee valley for their next april fools product: jigs for cutting meat--maybe a featherboard made from a rigor mortis turkey wing? pocket marking gauge for various steak thicknesses? router bits for edge-trimming fat? Disposable DC bags for cleaning up "wet work"? If it wasn't so late, I could come up with something better. But I tried.

Peter Quinn
02-11-2011, 6:38 AM
I hear PETA is pushing for legislation to mandate a Saw Stop feature. :)

I have friends with a bumper sticker that reads "PETA--People Eating Tasty Animals". This certainly gets that other group going. My nose has flesh sensing technology in fact...I can smell brats hitting a grill down wind from up to four miles away with in miliseconds! I may sue SS for use of the phrase "flesh sensing technology" as i believe my system has been in place longer. Now a TS with a cast iron hibachi extension table would be the perfect accompanyment to john's new meat saw!

Ron Conlon
02-11-2011, 9:24 AM
Am I the only one thinking of Dexter when I look at that saw?

Charles McKinley
02-18-2011, 2:06 AM
I was watching "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" the other night and the guy was using a sawzall to cut the ribs down the spine before he smoked them.

Jeremy Brant
02-18-2011, 8:03 AM
I was watching "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" the other night and the guy was using a sawzall to cut the ribs down the spine before he smoked them.

Not uncommon...I process my own deer from hunting, and a sawzall is essential to our process of splitting the pelvis and cutting through the spine in a couple locations for quartering. It works very well and is faster than a dedicated bone saw.