PDA

View Full Version : OMGA RN-450 Radial Arm Saw

Joe Angrisani
02-09-2011, 12:31 PM
I am seeking people's comments and experience with OMGA's RN-450 12" radial arm saw. Anyone know a fair price for a used example?

Rick Potter
02-09-2011, 1:57 PM
I have seen them on CL for as little as $400, and also around $800-$1000. Be aware, some are 3 phase, some are single.

Rick Potter

Joe Angrisani
02-09-2011, 2:25 PM
The one I'm looking at is 2HP single phase. He's asking $500, and it is almost like new. The guard scares me (fiscally). I'd use it for dados, and the "Dado Guard" is $290 from what I see.

It was a very solid machine, and I am a sucker for that. Now I have to decide. I've been trolling for a Delta turret saw when this showed up locally yesterday.

Have you used one, Rick? If so, how are the adjustment mechanisms? And how is the repeatability with miters?

Van Huskey
02-09-2011, 3:27 PM
In any case if it is in the condition you state I would snap it up. The best currently made and I would take an OMGA over an equal size/power old iron version any day. Keep in mind a new low end Omga is kissing $4k! But I don't think they make any saws now with less than 4hp, The RN450 is their current "small" saw but it is still great unless you need a huge 14-16" blade.

david brum
02-09-2011, 3:31 PM
You're seriously wondering if you should buy a $3800 OMGA saw for $500? It doesn't seem like you can go wrong, as long as it's not really rusty or damaged.

There is a book by "Mr Sawdust", Wally Kunkel, which will describe how to accurately do most cuts on a DeWalt style RAS. http://mrsawdust.com/

It would be interesting to find out whether a special dado guard is to compensate for extra width (presumably not available with the stock guard) or whether it is intended to give clearance under the guard for a smaller diameter blade. Maybe both.

Jeff Duncan
02-09-2011, 4:27 PM
In any case if it is in the condition you state I would snap it up. The best currently made and I would take an OMGA over an equal size/power old iron version any day. Keep in mind a new low end Omga is kissing $4k! But I don't think they make any saws now with less than 4hp, The RN450 is their current "small" saw but it is still great unless you need a huge 14-16" blade.

Yup, that about covers it. Oh and by the way, (as an owner of one of their chop saws), be ready when you go to pick it up as you'll likely need 2 people to move it. They don't build light duty stuff like that Delta you were looking at;)

good luck,
JeffD

Joe Angrisani
02-09-2011, 5:01 PM
Thanks, guys.

I'm going to sleep on it, but my plan is to pick it up tomorrow. It's a little more than I wanted to spend on my RAS, but I guess I can use the "female reasoning" my wife and friends have been known to apply: I saved so much on the ______ and the ______, that I can spend a little more on the ______. :eek:

I've lined up a truck, and the seller will help me load and unload. Website says 260 pounds, so that shouldn't be too bad after bringing home a Unisaw and an 8" Grizzly jointer.

Here's some pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/drcrine/Saw?authkey=Gv1sRgCMbq14mkt5ToPA&feat=email#

Van Huskey
02-09-2011, 5:18 PM
Thanks, guys.

I'm going to sleep on it, but my plan is to pick it up tomorrow. It's a little more than I wanted to spend on my RAS, but I guess I can use the "female reasoning" my wife and friends have been known to apply: I saved so much on the ______ and the ______, that I can spend a little more on the ______. :eek:

I've lined up a truck, and the seller will help me load and unload. Website says 260 pounds, so that shouldn't be too bad after bringing home a Unisaw and an 8" Grizzly jointer.

Here's some pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/drcrine/Saw?authkey=Gv1sRgCMbq14mkt5ToPA&feat=email#

Dude that is a STEAL. You could EASILY make money on that saw. If you were local I would pay you $250 to step aside and give me the lead and I don't even need it.

Larry Edgerton
02-09-2011, 5:29 PM
I own a RN450.

They are 14".

I had a huge Delta and a Dewalt before this. There is no comparison, The Omga is hands down a better saw in every way. I have never seen one for $400, could happen I guess. Lowest I have seen a serviceable one was $1000. If you wait until tomorrow I suspect that may be the one that got away. If you want it buy it now. You will never lose money if it is a running saw.

Omga does make more expensive saws, but the basic structure is tha same on the RN450 as the other models. Mine crosscuts to 28", but they can cut more with a longer arm. They have self feed models as well, but like I said, the structure is the same heavy components on the 450. They are not that bad to move as many of the parts are aluminum. Weighs less than either of my old ones.

Run Forest, Run!

Joe Angrisani
02-09-2011, 6:04 PM
Thanks, Larry. I appreciate your input.

Can you comment a little on the setup and stops, and repeatability, of 45 miters (and then returning to 90)? I'm not asking about the actual process. I'd just like your take on the quality/"fineness" of the adjustments that are available, and also how precise it is over time for 45's and 90's once you set it up.

Anything in particular I should check out or look for?

"""""""""""
Van.... I'm surprised to hear your $250 offer. I thought you only dated bandsaws.

Van Huskey
02-09-2011, 6:21 PM
"""""""""""
Van.... I'm surprised to hear your $250 offer. I thought you only dated bandsaws.

I won't take on most fixer uppers unless it is a bandsaw I really want, but a great machine at a felonious price and I am all in. I care nothing about metal working, but if I could pick up a pristine Bridgeport mill for near 12% of the replacement price I would own it, and maybe buy some raw metal to play with, or not... :)

Larry Edgerton
02-09-2011, 7:07 PM
It has stops, but like anything a small woodchip in the right spot can throw it off. What I have is a piece of MDF in a right triangle that is 28"s on the equal sides, so of course the long side is a 45 degree angle. I treated it with West System to keep it nice and it hangs on a peg behind the saw. When I switch I pull it down and check the angle. If its off a bit I lean on the arm in the proper direction and tighten the lock. Keep in mind that it is a 28" cut, so a small variable can add up to a lot in that distance. Not really a problem as I see it, just part of the process. Most times it is perfect, but I check it every time.

Run Forest, Run.........

Joe Angrisani
02-09-2011, 7:16 PM
Larry.... You said 14". Omga's website says 12". I swear the saw I saw had a 12" Freud with a 1" arbor. Was your 14 a typo?

Seller's at work - that's the main reason I can't Run Forrest, Run right now. I have to trust in humanity that he's a man of his word regarding our date tomorrow morning.

Van Huskey
02-09-2011, 8:04 PM
Seller's at work - that's the main reason I can't Run Forrest, Run right now. I have to trust in humanity that he's a man of his word regarding our date tomorrow morning.

If I were you I would be early, blame traffic not being as bad as expected (in Colorado maybe blame the lack of avalanche or rock fall :) ). If this was on CL and I am the other guy I am waving cash (as in more than he is asking) to let me jump your claim. (Please nobody trip over getting off their moral high horse :) ) When someone is selling a pristine OMGA for conservatively $1,000 below market he either needs money BAD or has no idea what he has. One wrong word from another guy and all of a sudden he is in a different mindset. I am not trying to wig you out just be early instead of tardy!

Rick Potter
02-10-2011, 2:17 AM
If you get it, be sure to give us a report on it. Shoulda bought that $400 one.

Rick Potter

Larry Edgerton
02-10-2011, 6:04 AM
Larry.... You said 14". Omga's website says 12". I swear the saw I saw had a 12" Freud with a 1" arbor. Was your 14 a typo?

Could be. Mines a 14" and there was no 12" when I bought mine, but things change. That one is newer than mine, so they could have changed. I run 12" on mine once in a while when I know I may hurt the blade because 12" ers are cheaper. Changes the tooth speed drastically, so most times its 14"ers. When you get it home we can compare motor RPM, I would be curious.

From your earlier question about the way they change, I am curious if you are thinking of using it like a chop saw? They are not a chop saw in the sense that it does take a lot more time to change angles. They are big and do what they do well, but they are not quick to change. You have to raise the saw above the table to swing it and then lower it back down. You will still need a chop saw. Don't let that stop you though. I paid $4K for mine and still consider it a very good investment.

Joe Angrisani
02-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!

Safe and happy in it's new home. $400 including the crappy mobile base with four very nice locking casters on it. Guess I can officially stop looking for that Delta turret. :rolleyes:

182143 182142

Larry Edgerton
02-10-2011, 3:30 PM
Super!

Something looks different about that saw, not sure what other than mine is orange, but no matter. you got it!

Love that van!

Micheal Roth
02-10-2011, 5:18 PM
Damn dude! You SUCK!

Van Huskey
02-10-2011, 5:47 PM
you suck! :D

Neil Brooks
02-10-2011, 6:02 PM
Sure. You've already been told, but it IS worth repeating.

YOU SUCK !!!

What a beautiful saw. Sorry there doesn't appear to be any fix-up work for you ;)

If it weren't for I-25 traffic, I might've beaten you to it :D

Joe Angrisani
02-10-2011, 6:21 PM
I'm touched. My very first "You Suck"s. Shucks, guys.....

I'm sitting here looking at my new-old $50 Bailey #7 that I also scored this week, and I keep thinking that for the price of a L-N #7, I got a fine, workable #7 handplane AND a rock solid radial arm saw.

Peter Quinn
02-10-2011, 8:00 PM
I'm not going to tell you that you suck. I'm going to tell you that you REALLY SUCK. I can't help wondering why the guy was selling that saw for such short money, though I honestly wouldn't have asked him personally until I was in a different zip code. Any idea why so cheap? Anyway, enjoy that tool.

Joe Angrisani
02-10-2011, 8:51 PM
Price was due to rent/mortgage, from what I could tell. It was a leftover piece of equipment from a custom closet business that ran headfirst into the recession. Nice family guy. The AMAZING thing is he's been trying to sell it since late December with no takers. He said I was the first guy to come look at it, and the only other interested party was coming in from Kansas in two weeks. A big part has got to be that radial arm saws are "dead".

I fired it up this afternoon, and despite the move, it was very very close to 90. I can't wait to get it set up along my wall and really dialed in. The action and feel of the saw is A-1...no slop...no play. It's like buttah. Joe's happy.

david brum
02-10-2011, 9:20 PM
May I be the first to congratulate you and tell you......YOU SUCK!