PDA

View Full Version : Quick-disconnect hose fittings

Brian Penning
02-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Are there some better than others?
The ones from the Borg seem to leak air causing the compressor to constantly recycle on and off.
TIA for any and all replies.

Don Whitten
02-09-2011, 10:58 AM
I use the 4 ball conector instead of the 3 ball type, they leak less.

Greg R Bradley
02-09-2011, 11:04 AM
While there are a few items at the Borg that are good quality, it is mostly crap. If you want decent air fittings, nothing at the Borg will be worth buying although I was surprised to see some decent air hoses at one of them recently.

If you want good then:

Milton: https://miltonindustries.com/Home.html

or

Foster: http://www.couplers.com/

Philip Rodriquez
02-10-2011, 2:18 PM
I use the Dust Right tool handle and Ports, from Rockler. I've had them since they came out and I totally love them!

Chip Lindley
02-10-2011, 2:54 PM
I standardized on Milton M-style quick connects in the shop. Miltons are made in USA; females are solid brass rather than plated steel. They will last you a lifetime. My TSC *Tractor Supply) has 'em. Great little store! Orscheln's carrys them too.

Jay Jeffery
02-10-2011, 8:28 PM
I assume you are talking about quick-connect air hose fittings, right?
One major reason hose fittings leak can be that you are mixing styles. There are half a dozen types of fittings and some of them will fit without sealing right. Another reason is that the female coupler becomes loose. Try tightening the flange at the end of the fitting.

Or maybe they are just cheap.

Craig Michael
02-10-2011, 8:28 PM
Milton are the best I've used.

Charles McKinley
02-18-2011, 2:13 AM
Another vote for Milton. Pick a brand that is made in the U.S.A. and pick a style/type (there are several and they do not play nice with each other) then purge all the fittings that are not that type from your shop. Campbell-Hausfield (sp) and all the other chineese junk will leak even if they are the same type. I may hurt up front but your compressor and eletric bill will thank you.

Charles Lent
02-18-2011, 8:34 AM
Are you mixing brands? Even though many of these are very similar and fit together, they won't likely be leak free unless both the male and female were made by the same company. Once I had figured this out I bought replacements for all of my fittings, gave the old ones away, and never looked back. Air hose fittings don't seem to have been standardized in their design like other mass produced items in our world. Many are close, but not right. For the past 15 years I've had very good luck using only the Aeroquip brand that is sold by Home Depot. They now offer 2 types of female connectors, one takes the standard length male and the other one (slightly more expensive) takes male fittings of varying lengths. This second version also seems to be more tolerant of slightly different diameter male fittings. Sticking to one brand for both the male and female fittings seems to be what works best. I leave my compressor on 24/7 with lines and tools left randomly connected all the time with no leak down problems.

Charley