PDA

View Full Version : How to keep your sanity when underemployed?

Larry Edgerton
02-09-2011, 6:16 AM
For the first time in twenty years I basically have nothing to do. I worked a restoration out of my area for a year, got back in November, roughed in my new house, finished that in mid December. Being out of area for that long I don't have work lined up. My shop is moved but not set up yet, has no heat, so I can't do shop work. Paid cash for the property and the house materials and don't have enough left to heat/insulate the shop and don't have any work until spring breaks. Can't sell my current house because the values are down so far. I could borrow money, but I choose to wait and stay debt free.

I am having a hard time figuring out what to do with myself. I am a bit hyped out to begin with, so I am not good at sitting around and readingall day, got to be moving all the time.

Man I miss my shop! I have a 47 Dodge truck I would love to work on but no place warm to do it. I was going to put off buying all the windows in the house so I could get the new shop fired up, wish I had gone that way right at the moment.

Any suggestions on how to make time pass?

Stir Crazy

Dan Hintz
02-09-2011, 6:27 AM
Personally, I'd spend a LOT of time on the net researching new techniques, products, etc. It can be a bit boring if you're not finding anything useful on your current search path, but it helps to step back and think of something new to search on.

Belinda Barfield
02-09-2011, 6:58 AM
Volunteer work. Any elderly neighbors who need small indoor projects done? What about somewhere like Habitat for Humanity? I realize there isn't any building going on through the winter but maybe they could use some help with planning projects, etc.

Bill Edwards(2)
02-09-2011, 7:03 AM
(walmart)

WELCOME! http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon12.png

(nevermind, go with Dan's suggestions)

Marty Paulus
02-09-2011, 7:07 AM
Larry, If you are that bored you can always drive down here and help shovel snow. After you dig yourself out that is:). I know how hard it can be without heat in the shop yet. Maybe you could just throw up some plastic on the rafters and use a kerosene heater to knock the chill out of the air for some shop time? I know its not a efficient as you are going to need but it may work for a temp solution to your issue.

Larry Edgerton
02-09-2011, 7:20 AM
Larry, If you are that bored you can always drive down here and help shovel snow. After you dig yourself out that is:). I know how hard it can be without heat in the shop yet. Maybe you could just throw up some plastic on the rafters and use a kerosene heater to knock the chill out of the air for some shop time? I know its not a efficient as you are going to need but it may work for a temp solution to your issue.

Actually Marty, believe it or not we did not get even a flake of snow up here during that last storm. We only have about 4-5"'s on the ground, really strainge for us.

I am not good at temporary fixes, tend to wait till I can do it the way I want, but that is a thought. Its a bit over a month till my next job starts and I just finished up my last job 4 days ago, so I don't think I can bother people on the net that much. I do have a stack of polyiso foam that goes on the inside of the house eventually, I guess I could replace it......

But that is messing with my plan, must stick to plan........

Marty Paulus
02-09-2011, 7:42 AM
If you want some snow just come and get it. I ran the snow blower through the back yard over the weekend to clear some yard for the dog. I must have about 2 feet of snow back there! I also agree that only 4-5 inches in the UP is weird. By this time there is usually 4-5 feet of snow up there. Actually that is very troubling from a water standpoint as well. If you don't have any snow up there how are the lake levels down here supposed to go up? Looks like I may have another year of not being able to get the boat off the hoist.

I know what you mean about sticking to the plan. However just the plastic sheet should be inexpensive and could be left in place for a vapor barrier when you do put up the actual ceiling. Just a thought. Heck it may even kill a few hours of your time...

Larry Edgerton
02-09-2011, 8:01 AM
I'm actually just below the bridge in Indian River, a troll if you will, and am in what is called the snow belt. We just did not get any lake effect this year and no system storms have made it here.

In between posts I got a call from an old customer. Picked up a commission for a dresser and some laundry cabinets that we had previously discussed. So I guess I will have to use some of my foam up. I don't actually ever use a vapor barrier, I use SturdyR polyiso foam under drywall. Has a perm rating of 3 and isolates the framing members with a 2.5 R value. Been doing it for years, no icycles on my roofs. Houses need to breath.

Water levels were just coming back up a bit, I am afraid this may affect it. On the other hand they just got 2-3 feet down around the bottom of Lake Michigan that is more than normal, so maybe it will average out. My buddy lives up in Munising and they have lots of snow there, but Paradise just down the lake has nothing, and they are usually buried. Strainge year.

Sean Troy
02-09-2011, 8:05 AM
Start a nice work out routine. It makes you feel good, look good. It doesn't have to cost anything.

Jason Roehl
02-09-2011, 2:40 PM
Your snow is all down here in North/North-Central Indiana. You could occupy your time by coming and getting it. All I can say is that if you want to keep your sanity while underemployed, don't take up snow plowing. If the idiots in the Walmart parking lot don't get to you, broken equipment will. I'm on a roll this year...I think I've broken or otherwise damaged something at least every other time I've been out--and I've been out a LOT this year.

I'm guessing you won't do well just sitting around when you retire... ;)

Larry Edgerton
02-09-2011, 7:23 PM
I'm guessing you won't do well just sitting around when you retire... ;)

I have three ex wives, I will not ever be retired......

That snow is my gift to you, wear it well.....

Leigh Betsch
02-09-2011, 7:49 PM
I have three ex wives,

I guess that pretty much eliminates what I was going to suggest.

Bryan Morgan
02-09-2011, 8:45 PM
DO NOT start playing World of Warcraft. Don't do it.

Art Mulder
02-09-2011, 9:30 PM
My shop is moved but not set up yet,

Is it at least accessible? If so:
- clean and tune all your tools
- clean pitch off all your blades
- spend the time really sharpening all your chisels and hand planes
- Sort all the misc. bins of nuts/screws so they are properly organized

- plan + purchase your seeds for your summer gardes (if you are a gardener)
- plan + research your summer vacation (if you like to travel)
- For that matter, since you have 4 weeks, take a vacation NOW. Visit family.

- as has been suggested, start a work-out plan.
- WALK.

- Volunteering has also been suggested.

- scour craigslist for deals
- scour craigslist for job opportunities
- scour craigslist for cheap/free firewood and work on your firewood pile. Get out the axe and get busy.

Or just surf SMC all day... :cool:

Steve Griffin
02-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Make some lemons out of lemonade! (or whatever that saying says)

A period of lack of work and finding yourself in new circumstances is a great opportunity to learn new things, grow and enjoy life in new ways.

Come out of it better than you came into it.

cheers, Steve

Jim Becker
02-12-2011, 9:00 PM
Personally, I'd spend a LOT of time on the net researching new techniques, products, etc. It can be a bit boring if you're not finding anything useful on your current search path, but it helps to step back and think of something new to search on.

Volunteer work. Any elderly neighbors who need small indoor projects done? What about somewhere like Habitat for Humanity? I realize there isn't any building going on through the winter but maybe they could use some help with planning projects, etc.

I like both of these suggestions.

John Sanford
02-13-2011, 2:49 AM
I think Belinda has nailed it. plus, you're just about guaranteed to get fresh hot cookies and hot chocolate/coffee if you go down that path... :D

John Fabre
02-13-2011, 3:08 AM
You can always volunteer at your local high school woodshop teaching kids.

Larry Edgerton
02-13-2011, 6:44 AM
You can always volunteer at your local high school woodshop teaching kids.

Sadly most of the districts closed up shop. Lawyers kill yet another good thing......

I do charity work all year long, but I have a couple of rules.

I don't help anyone that will not help themselves. Can not is not the same as will not.

I avoid any organizations because it usually breaks rule #1.

John Fabre
02-13-2011, 4:45 PM
Sadly most of the districts closed up shop. Lawyers kill yet another good thing......

That's too bad, I remember woodshop in school, not History, Math or English. A kid did get cut on the bandsaw, he was showing off that almost took off his finger.