PDA

View Full Version : What machine do you most want to upgrade

Van Huskey
02-09-2011, 3:09 AM
What machine that you own would you most like to upgrade?

Cary Falk
02-09-2011, 4:34 AM
Well, since the lathe is the only tool I haven't upgraded, I will goi with that.

Paul McGaha
02-09-2011, 5:41 AM
I voted for other. I dont have any upgrades planned but I wouldnt say I'm at the top of my ladder.

I'm out of space. My 2 car garage has served as my shop for the last 6 years or so and highly likely for about the next 10 years. We will be getting near retirement age at about that time and we were thinking of maybe doing 1 more house with a nice shop out back. Might do some tool upgrades at that point but not for sure.

PHM

Peter Quinn
02-09-2011, 6:34 AM
Dust collector. I've been a "hose jockey" for too long. The 1 1/2 HP single bagger with pre separator works, but only on one machine at a time. I even have a run of spiral pipe on the wall, like one of those bridges to nowhere, that I bough early on thinking a 1200 cfm dc would actually pull down that much pipe!

Now if I got to vote twice and dream a little, a small sliding table saw shaper combo would be next followed closely by a 16" jointer planer combo, and perhaps a better slot mortiser, and a new 3000sf barn to house everything. Oh heck, I'd like to throw it all out and start over.

Larry Edgerton
02-09-2011, 6:53 AM
Dust collection. Putting together a new shop that I will be in for the rest of my life and want it to be right. I knew my last shop was temporary, so did the hose dragging thing as well. Wasted untold hours doing unproductive work dealing with the bagger, new one will be unloaded with a tractor.

Matt Mackinnon
02-09-2011, 7:08 AM
I guess there are two. I need to upgrade both my 15" bandsaw and my 15" plainer.

The bandsaw is just going to get replaced, as it just doesn't cut curves very well, and it's build quality is not all that good that trying to get it to work seems rather pointless. My plainer however just needs to get the cutter replaced with a byrd head. I am now working mostly with exotic woods that have major grain reversal, and a new byrd head will eliminate the tare-out.

Cyrus Brewster 7
02-09-2011, 7:24 AM
I have to go with upgrading my bandsaw. I picked up a 14" Foley-Belsaw on CL for $25 (not sure of the age) and only had to put new tires and cool blocks on it to get it running. It works OK and given the fact that I have not used anything else, I have nothing to compare it to.

Van, those bandsaws you wrote about recently had me drooling.

Marc Myers
02-09-2011, 7:49 AM
I would vote to upgrade my table saw to something a little more powerful and compatable with a dust collection system. My Delta 36-600 has been an absulute workhorse of a saw since I got it in 1999. I had to replace the motor in it last year, so it's either sell it to upgrade now or wait until this one kicks out and upgrade then. It's a great saw for the space and mobility I need in my shop. Upgrading poses two issues....I can't upgrade to a 3hp cabinet saw because of space and lack of a 220v plug. The Grizzly g0715p looks like a nice hybrid that would give me more power, bigger table, still reasonally mobile with the right base, and better dust collection. The other one I'm looking at is the Jet 708480k. Kind of a goofy looking saw compared to others, but has the same characteristics that make it a possiblity. Both in the same price range too. If there was just a way to put them side by side and do a good comparison. There's just no place in town anymore that sells woodworking tools. I'm limited to the big box places and what they have on the shelf to do a hand inspection. Sucks!

Marty Paulus
02-09-2011, 7:54 AM
Well since the dust collector and jointer do not exist in my shop I would have to say I need to upgrade at least the quantity from zero to one with dust collection being first.

Ron Bontz
02-09-2011, 9:24 AM
OK I am going to have to say dust collector. But I have to rewire my shop first.

Philip Rodriquez
02-09-2011, 9:51 AM
I voted for a BS. I currently have a Rikon 18"... but I'd like a minimax or a laguna. Everything else is in place.

Richard Shaefer
02-09-2011, 10:00 AM
I'd really like to upgrade my 1/2 hp benchtop mortiser to a 1 hp floor standing model.
That thing gets a workout when you do Arts and Crafts furniture all the time.

Neil Brooks
02-09-2011, 10:10 AM
My "non-answer" answer would have to be ... my skills and experience.

Right now ... my machines are generally ahead of me ... but I'm gaining on them ;)

Matt Winterowd
02-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Definitely the planer for me. I have a lunchbox planer, and I get fine results with it, but I'd sure like to have the extra width and power of a 15-20" stationary unit and get rid of the universal motor. I actually kind of put off using it because it's so obnoxiously loud.

Kyle Iwamoto
02-09-2011, 10:49 AM
I voted other. I want to upgrade our power plant so my electric bill goes down. LOL

Actually I would want a better DC. Like many, my single bag 1 machine at a time DC could use a dose of steriods.

David Weaver
02-09-2011, 10:58 AM
I'd love to have a 20" spiral head planer, but it's not in the cards.

I'd love a smaller one-way lathe, too. Same thing - nowhere to put either of them.

Rick Boyett
02-09-2011, 11:03 AM
I want to upgrade my Ridgid TS3650 to a cabinet saw. However I'm holding off until my wife and I get a new home with a detached workshop. The Herculift on the Ridgid is just too darn useful in my garage shop.

Don Buck
02-09-2011, 11:12 AM
My Makita 2030 12"planer/6" jointer will probably outlive me but since I've upgraded to a 20" planer I think my next upgrade will be adding an 8" jointer.

Alan Wright
02-09-2011, 11:21 AM
I vote for Planer. I have a Rigid Lunchbox, but would really like the Grizzly 15" with spiral cutterhead. I'm saving my pennies

Jeremy Greiner
02-09-2011, 11:28 AM
I voted jointer, but really I mean jointer planer .. I love my 10'' jointer planer, but it has it's limits .. it will serve me well for a year or two but I'll be ready to upgrade by then.

Randy Dutkiewicz
02-09-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm going with my planer. I'm currently using a lunchbox planer, and while it "does the job", I think I'd like something much more substantial. I'd LOVE one of the new Grizzly spiralhead 15" ones though! Who knows - maybe the wife will "appease" me, even though I just spent a boatload on a new grizzly bandsaw, grizzly cyclone and the metal ductwork over the past 4 months.... Pray for me guys:)

Gerald Senburn
02-09-2011, 11:39 AM
I voted for the drum sander, I'd love to upgrade my performax 16/32 to a larger oscillating model or a big belt sander.

John Pratt
02-09-2011, 11:42 AM
I am going with the planer because everything else is about top of the line for me. But the planer always seems to be a couple inches to narrow for the work I want to do. A 20" or better planer would be nice.

Van Huskey
02-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Right now ... my machines are generally ahead of me ... ;)

That never stopped or even slowed me down!

Gene Waara
02-09-2011, 12:20 PM
I voted jointer but I'm not sure I will ever upgrade. My current is a 6" '50's era Delta Homecraft that was my dad's. Although I have several of his tools, this one gets the most use and I think of him every time I turn it on. I would like something with a longer bed but continue to make this one work and probably will continue to do so.

Matt Meiser
02-09-2011, 12:20 PM
I think the next machine upgraded in my shop will probably be the shop PC. I have our old desktop out there which is at least 8 years old. Hard drive makes a racket frequently and sometimes the card reader won't work unless I pop the cover, unplug it, and plug it back in.

Someday I'll probably upgrade to a larger band saw and perhaps someday I'll get over the ethical dilemma I have with the supporting the company and get a Sawstop.

John Coloccia
02-09-2011, 12:26 PM
I actually want to downgrade...er..uhm....add, I guess. I have a 19" bandsaw, and I'd like to add a smaller 14". I want to keep the 19" tuned for resawing/ripping, and use the 14" for other work. I would just toss a carter stabilizer on there and leave it.

Van Huskey
02-09-2011, 12:38 PM
I actually want to downgrade...er..uhm....add, I guess. I have a 19" bandsaw, and I'd like to add a smaller 14". I want to keep the 19" tuned for resawing/ripping, and use the 14" for other work. I would just toss a carter stabilizer on there and leave it.

That is upgrading your bandsaw capabilities. This is one area of mine that can NEVER be finished, well not until I have an Italian made BS (or Yates American) for every blade I ever use. :)

Rod Sheridan
02-09-2011, 12:45 PM
I can't think of anything I want to upgrade, I've been through that and finally spent enough money to have all the capabilities I could reasonably want.

Regards, Rod.

John Coloccia
02-09-2011, 12:54 PM
I can't think of anything I want to upgrade, I've been through that and finally spent enough money to have all the capabilities I could reasonably want.

Regards, Rod.

That is soooo un-american. :D

Scott Haddix
02-09-2011, 1:03 PM
The tool of mine that needs the biggest upgrade is my brain. If I could get that tool upgraded, I could probably do everything I needed with the rest of the tools I already have.

Van Huskey
02-09-2011, 1:17 PM
The tool of mine that needs the biggest upgrade is my brain. If I could get that tool upgraded, I could probably do everything I needed with the rest of the tools I already have.

http://www.nbss.org/workshops/schedule.asp 'Course the commute would be a killer, but you could pull up stakes and go full time too! :)

ray hampton
02-09-2011, 1:18 PM
I got one more tool to buy a metal working MILLING MACHINE
metal working machine will machine wood also

Montgomery Scott
02-09-2011, 2:30 PM
I am saving up to replace my planer, jointer and saw with a Euro combo machine. The MM CU 410 Elite is the front runner right now.

James Baker SD
02-09-2011, 2:48 PM
I know this is the wrong forum, but I want to upgrade my hand planes and chisels.

glenn bradley
02-09-2011, 2:57 PM
Oscillating belt sander. Never knew I needed one till I had one. You can have your oscillating drum; that's what I thought I needed. I use the belt all the time, I've used the spindle a handful of times.

Van Huskey
02-09-2011, 3:04 PM
Oscillating belt sander. Never knew I needed one till I had one. You can have your oscillating drum; that's what I thought I needed. I use the belt all the time, I've used the spindle a handful of times.

Talking about a wide belt or an edge belt sander? I am mulling OSC edge sanders currently (along with all the other machines I still need for my new shop) and I REALLY want a Vega. They are not cheap but very fairly priced for a well made US machine.

glenn bradley
02-09-2011, 3:33 PM
Talking about a wide belt or an edge belt sander?

Edge belt, sorry, I should have specified. I missed out on a great deal on a Vega. It was quite traumatic . . . I still can't talk about it . . . *** sniff ***

Mike Cruz
02-09-2011, 3:34 PM
Since the question was about tools I already have, my answer was none...happy with all. That said, I have a couple things I still want...like an edge sander. OH, SHUCKS! I should have put "other"...I have a benchtop mortiser, and would love for it to be a floor model. But then again, I don't really have the room for it, so I'll stick with my "none" answer...

Van Huskey
02-09-2011, 4:04 PM
Edge belt, sorry, I should have specified. I missed out on a great deal on a Vega. It was quite traumatic . . . I still can't talk about it . . . *** sniff ***

Sorry, I'd be crying too. I hated watching that Vega sit in the classifieds last year until Mike H. finally snapped it up. The time and money it would have taken for me to pick it up would have ruined the deal.

Van Huskey
02-09-2011, 4:06 PM
Since the question was about tools I already have, my answer was none...happy with all. That said, I have a couple things I still want...like an edge sander. OH, SHUCKS! I should have put "other"...I have a benchtop mortiser, and would love for it to be a floor model. But then again, I don't really have the room for it, so I'll stick with my "none" answer...

Since you didn't get that Oliver OSS/30" disc sander you still have a ways to go there. :) That killed me to watch that one go!

Jeff Duncan
02-09-2011, 4:18 PM
There are several machines I'm still in "Need" of, (vertical panel saw, edgebander, edgesander) but not as much that needs upgrading these days. The one remaining would have to be the shaper, but that's going to be an expensive one so it's on the back burner for now.

I will say I would love to see pics of the guys shops who don't need to add or upgrade anything as that's just a foreign concept to me:confused:

good luck,
JeffD

Myk Rian
02-09-2011, 4:22 PM
I want to get rid of the Grizzly 8" Asian jointer and replace it with a Delta/Crescent USA 8".

Mike Cruz
02-09-2011, 6:42 PM
Jeff, I said "nothing", not because I have the best of everything...by far...but I have what is adequate for me. Also, the vote was for the top of "my" ladder, not the top of "the" ladder...

Grizzly 20" planer....would I LOVE a Powermatic 24" with spiral head? YEAH! But no room, money, nor "need" for it.
Delta Uni with 52" rails and Beisemeyer fence....would I LOVE a Sawstop cabinet saw? YEAH, but no money for it.
Delta DJ20 8" jointer....would I LOVE a 10-12" just-about-anything? YEAH, but room and money...again.
Grizzly 3 hp Dust Collector with 6" piping....would I LOVE a cyclone? YEAH, but the way my shop is set up, no room, and of course there is the money.
Powermatic PM90 18" lathe....would I LOVE a PM 4220? YEAH, but money...
Delta/Rockwell 20" band saw....would I LOVE a newer model 20"? YEAH, but I dont' "need" it.
Ridgid 14" band saw with riser, 1.5 hp motor, Carter guides, and home made base....works great.
Delta 16.5 drill press....would I LOVE a bigger one? YEAH, but this one does all I ask of it.
Homemade 12" disc/6" drum sander....does all I ask.
Grizzly drum/flap sander....does all I ask.
CH 60 gallon air compressor....usually does all I ask, no "need" for an 80.
Dewalt miter saw....works just fine.

My point that I am "good" is that everything I have does the job well enough, leaving me without "envy" of other stuff. Is is all the best and biggest possible? Nope. But I have it all crammed into a 24x30 shop. They are almost all on mobile bases, but have perminent spots. The mobile bases are for slight movements to "get around" them if need be. MY envy lies in a larger shop...to stretch a little.

C Scott McDonald
02-09-2011, 7:55 PM
Jointer for sure. I made the mistake of making a cost based decision and got a 6" jointer. I have regretted it ever since. It's a nice HH Powermatic but I quickly out grew it. I will keep it for edge jointing though

Karl Brogger
02-09-2011, 8:15 PM
Widebelt for sure. Mine is a piece of junk, but it works.

Next thing I'd like to do is upgrade my shapers. Powermatic stuff is just garbage.

Kevin Gregoire
02-09-2011, 8:18 PM
i have a pretty decent craftsman cabinet saw but i would really love to have a new delta or saw stop

Doug Colombo
02-09-2011, 8:28 PM
I agree with Peter - Dust collector it is !

Mark Blatter
02-09-2011, 9:39 PM
In this order;

Dust collector
Compressor
Drum sander....though a wide belt would be a wonderful option is room / budget allowed...

....oh and heat.....real heat in my garage. Currently using a small propane blower and would love to get back to having a normal overhead heater.

Aaron Berk
02-09-2011, 9:56 PM
My 15" planer sucks, I want a new one

Brian Effinger
02-09-2011, 11:14 PM
No doubt about it: Lathe. I'm thinking either a Stubby, or one of the Robust's. :D
Someday.

Chip Lindley
02-09-2011, 11:53 PM
I am blessed, finally, with lots of good equipment. Now all I need is space to set it all up and operate efficiently. Shop Space was not a voting option.

Steve LaFara
02-10-2011, 12:19 AM
Since the poll is for existing machinery I said jointer because my little 6" Delta just does not cut it. But in reality, I can get by with it and really want a lathe since I don't have one. That's next on the buy list. TS, BS, DC, DP, etc. are all pretty adequate.

Brian Kent
02-10-2011, 12:24 AM
Other: Lighting and a better striking knife.

Mark Elmer
02-10-2011, 2:14 AM
Hi all,

I'd like a bit bigger lathe than what I have. I'm willing to wait until the right deal comes along though. No rusth.

Ole Anderson
02-10-2011, 8:46 AM
My very old 6" Craftsman jointer has a lousy fence, so that seems to be on the top of my list.

Mike OMelia
02-10-2011, 9:11 AM
I would love to add a riving knife to my saw (please, no PMs from that certain seller) and I would like to upgrade bearings and guides on my bandsaw.

jmike montgomery
02-10-2011, 5:16 PM
I'd vote for a dust collector! Just upgraded my table saw to a Craftsman granite top saw, have a decent router table, but still using a shop vac for dust collection and that just isn't doing it for me.

Don Bullock
02-11-2011, 12:03 PM
If I had the cash I would upgrade several tools. I'd love to have another bandsaw so that I'd have more flexibility without changing blades. My bench top drill press is my biggest blunder in tool purchases. Yes, I use it often and it's fine, but I need more quill travel. A floor standing drill press would have been a much better choice. Unfortunately I didn't have the money for one when I bought the bench top and I still don't. Finally I'd love to buy a cyclone DC and pipe for a central DC. That would be my top priority for upgrading. If you count upgrading the shop I still don't have a lathe so I'd love to add one to the shop. Right now I'm just fine and thankful that I have the tools that I have and can still work in my shop. It could be a whole lot worse.

John Sanford
02-11-2011, 1:24 PM
Tablesaw - I currently have a Delta CS, going to upgrade to a SawStop 1.75hp PCS. I would go with a 3hp, but I'm limited to 120v.
Bandsaw - Have the 14" Delta from the Lowe's clearance last fall, I'd like to move up to the biggest I can get that'll run on 120v
SCMS/GCMS - I have a DeWalt 705 12" CMS, I'd like to upgrade to a slider/glide. I may skip this though if I can get a good sliding table for the SS.

There are some other upgrades to machines I'd like to make, but without 240v, I can't.

Bruce Page
02-11-2011, 1:30 PM
I would love to upgrade my little 6” PM-54 jointer to the PM 8” PJ882HH.

Steve H Graham
02-11-2011, 4:07 PM
Table saw, because it's just too scary. A slider would be nice.

Jeff Duncan
02-11-2011, 4:53 PM
[QUOTE=Mike Cruz;1632923
My point that I am "good" is that everything I have does the job well enough, leaving me without "envy" of other stuff.

I figured as much...I guess my point is I envy the guys who don't have machine envy;)

Since I make my living with my tools I've generally spent money and acquired better equipment. Even still I have a list of equipment I'd upgrade in a NY minute if I had the opportunity. I should be content with what I have, but I keep trying to convince myself that the German shaper I've been lusting after really will make my work better:D

Just doesn't seem right for one to be content with what they have....just un-American if you ask me.

JeffD

OK I'm just kidding....time to go browse the auction sites again!!!

johnny means
02-12-2011, 11:31 AM
My back. The one I currently have is just not up to the work I do. It's constantly out of alignment and makes a lot of scary creaking and popping noises. I do have to admit that it was a great back when I first got it and it's poor state is entirely due to years of abuse and lack af maintenance by me. Unfortunately, a new one is beyond my means in the foreseeable future, so I may just find someone who can lease me a newer model.

Mike Cruz
02-12-2011, 3:25 PM
Jonny, where was your's made? And how old is it? You know, they just don't make 'em like they used to. I hear the new ones aren't really any better than the older models. And they don't really last as long, either. I say fix up that old one you've got. She still probably has a lot of good years left in her. Might need to be refurbished, though. Lubed up really well. Careful, though, replacement parts can be costly.

Karl Card
02-13-2011, 12:15 AM
Well table saw is at the top of my list but after that it would be my planer, then bandsaw, my jointer is already 8 inch so it is cool for me.

johnny means
02-13-2011, 1:03 PM
Jonny, where was your's made? And how old is it? You know, they just don't make 'em like they used to. I hear the new ones aren't really any better than the older models. And they don't really last as long, either. I say fix up that old one you've got. She still probably has a lot of good years left in her. Might need to be refurbished, though. Lubed up really well. Careful, though, replacement parts can be costly.

I've got a 73 model, not really very old, but its been used in too many high production environments. I figure with a little care , I can keep this Old Arn doing most of what I need for another 20 years. When this one won't do, my 11 year old son, whose already wearing a size 11 shoe, has a brand new model that's really proving to be quite stout. I figure I can use his until he runs off to college.

Noel Lytle
02-13-2011, 1:30 PM
Dust collection.

Bob Borzelleri
02-13-2011, 1:34 PM
I voted lathe, but the truth is I don't really need to upgrade anything. Since virtually all my tools are working well within my range of competence, want gets trumped by need. I figure that when I get to the point where I am pushing my current tools beyond their capability, need will take over.

glenn bradley
02-13-2011, 2:42 PM
Jointer for sure. I made the mistake of making a cost based decision and got a 6" jointer. I have regretted it ever since. It's a nice HH Powermatic but I quickly out grew it. I will keep it for edge jointing though

I went through this phase too. Glad I'm not the only one who just . . . wouldn't . . . listen . . . when experienced folks warned against 6" jointers. "It'll do for now", "I won't need anything bigger", "Its all I can afford"; the rationalization rings like a bell everytime someone asks about their first jointer :D:D:D I don't blame you for keeping the 6" too, That's how I ended up with 2 DPs, 2 planers, 2 bandsaws, 2 DC's . . . oh you get the idea. It is so much cheaper to just do it "right" the first time ;-)

Jim Becker
02-15-2011, 10:15 PM
I doubt I'll ever need to "upgrade" any of my existing machines as I was lucky enough to be able to do that already. That said, I would like to ADD one machine at some point and that's a Festool Domino.

Don Morris
02-15-2011, 11:48 PM
UPGRADE? That would have to be to a SS. Have seen enough posts about it and said I would if I had the money. So I'm bound to go with that. What I would LIKE but couldn't fit into the space would be a bigger/top quality BS and a combo planer/joiner. That's dreaming, not just upgrading.

Ted Baca
02-16-2011, 1:18 AM
I have been pretty happy with the tools I have, but would like to add: Drum Sander, Jointer, and a Panel Saw. That's todays list and subject to change if I get a new tool catalog in the mail tomorrow.