PDA

View Full Version : A couple more birdhouses.

Curt Fuller
02-08-2011, 11:26 PM
I posted the Osage Orange birdhouse the other day, but I made a couple more to go with it. The one on the left is from a scrap of Box Elder burl. It has a Cocobolo stand and I added a chimney from Cocobolo also. The center one is from some spalted Magnolia I got from Mark Cothren, with a walnut stand and finial. They're all 12.5" - 14" tall.

Mark Hubl
02-08-2011, 11:57 PM
Curt, Those are wonderful. I like them all. The box elder is my favorite, very nice touch with chimney.

Tim Thiebaut
02-09-2011, 12:46 AM
Wow, very nice! I expecialy love the roof on the first one, that is SO cool!

Donny Lawson
02-09-2011, 6:45 AM
Nice ones, the spalted one would be my pick.

John Keeton
02-09-2011, 7:20 AM
Curt, very nice work on all of these. The roof on the BE burl and the diminutive "house" really makes a neat combination. Overall, however, I prefer the spalted magnolia! Beautiful wood and very balanced.

Bill Bulloch
02-09-2011, 7:37 AM
I really like the birdhouses on a pole and will have to try making some. Thinks for sharing the idea.

Baxter Smith
02-09-2011, 9:10 AM
They all look great to me!

Ron Bontz
02-09-2011, 9:14 AM
I some how envision little birds with bows and arrows fighting off the evil squirls. I like the chimney also.

Michael James
02-09-2011, 9:52 AM
Those are so trippy.... I definitely need to get over my finialphobia and get after these. The size is right! Thanks for posting?

ps - What do birds burn behind closed doors? :cool:

David E Keller
02-09-2011, 11:26 AM
These are really cool, Curt. If pressed to name a favorite, I'd go with the box elder burl... I love the shape of the roof and the natural edge reminds me of snow/ice hanging down.

David DeCristoforo
02-09-2011, 11:49 AM
The middle one is the best birdhouse I have ever seen! But what? No dish?

Bernie Weishapl
02-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Really nice Curt. I like the middle one a lot.

Jon McElwain
02-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Those are great! I really like the Magnolia the best, but all of them are classy looking houses!

Carol Kinney
02-09-2011, 2:56 PM
Those are wonderful Curt - we'll start calling you "Birdhouse Curt" :). They are all wonderful but the Osage Orange birdhouse is still my favorite.

BTW - what inspired you to make these and come up with the design? Just wondering because I need some ideas to start making them.

Steve Schlumpf
02-09-2011, 3:13 PM
Excellent Curt! All of them grab your attention and they each offer something just a little different than the one next to it! Really like the Box Elder roof - reminds me of some of your full-scale birdhouses!

Have fun with these! Bet they sell extremely fast!

Tim Rinehart
02-09-2011, 3:35 PM
Curt, these are so nice and whimsical.
I think a nice touch would be taking the first one and wire brushing it for a thatch effect...but it's certainly fine how it is now too!

Curt Fuller
02-09-2011, 9:25 PM
Thanks everyone!

Those are wonderful Curt - we'll start calling you "Birdhouse Curt" :). They are all wonderful but the Osage Orange birdhouse is still my favorite.

BTW - what inspired you to make these and come up with the design? Just wondering because I need some ideas to start making them.

Carol, since I first started turning I've had a "thang" for turning bird houses. I've done big ones and little ones, a couple segmented ones, but they've all been hanging birdhouses until these ones. I think all the intricate goblets and pedestal mounted turnings everyone is doing these days sparked the idea for me to put a birdhouse on a stick.

Here are a few of the one's I've done...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=557

Brian Effinger
02-10-2011, 12:34 AM
Three more beauties, Curt. You've inspired me to give the birdhouse on a stick a try.