PDA

View Full Version : etiquette question for people who do custom work

Zach England
02-08-2011, 11:25 PM
I commissioned a piece of artwork by an acquaintance whom I consider a casual friend. I saw the piece today and was very pleased and I know she spent a lot of time and thought on it. She gave me the final price and I felt like it under-valued her work. Is a "gratuity" inappropriate? I have never commissioned artwork before so i am not sure of the etiquette involved. I want to show her that I value the piece and her thought, but I don't want to be patronizing or condescending.

Steve Griffin
02-08-2011, 11:39 PM
Zach,
Don't hesitate for a second!

While it is uncommon and not expected to receive a gratuity for custom work, it is almost certainly going to be greatly appreciated.

While I'm not a fine artist, I have produced some high end furniture. On a couple occasions I received extra payment. In one case it was a sizable check in a christmas note. I can't tell you how much those gestures meant, and it's far more than the just the money.

I'd even go so far as to say that those moments of customer satisfaction are what keep me going sometimes.

-Steve

Mike Henderson
02-08-2011, 11:58 PM
I've had people pay me more than I asked for a piece I made for them on commission. I took the money with a big "Thank You!"

Mike

Jon McElwain
02-09-2011, 1:48 AM
I agree, gratuity would be greatly appreciated - it is really tough to find that balance between doing great work and making more that a few bucks an hour for your time. However, even more appreciated than the gratuity would be referrals and repeat business. Repeat customers and word of mouth are the bread and butter of many artists IMHO.

Bill LaPointe
02-09-2011, 4:29 AM
Whenever someone exceeds my expectations for any kind of work I have always paid more than the agreed amount. It expresses my appreciation for excellence in performance and they are always happy to do additional work any time they are asked.

Larry Edgerton
02-09-2011, 6:00 AM
I routinely pay more for work done well, not just with artists, but anywhere. Work done well is so uncommon these days that I feel it is necessary to do what I can to encourage this kind of quality, be it an artist or an auto mechanic.

I recieved a $5K bonus on a restoration project, and I have to say that the customer has my utmost loyalty. If he needs some little thing to this day, some thirteen years later, I make sure it is done immediately.

Besides, its fun to make someones day......

Ron Bontz
02-09-2011, 9:40 AM
I absolutely agree with Larry. I even tip my servers at restaurants a lot more if I receive excelent service. Quality is indeed rare these days.

Kent A Bathurst
02-10-2011, 8:58 AM
Ditto - some time ago, a guy did some work for me. When he was done, he told me "$250 bucks"

"WHAT??"

"Ummmm - $250?"

"Nope - I won't pay you $250. Its $350 or nothing."

"Ummmm....well, you drive a hard bargain..........."

John Shuk
02-10-2011, 9:20 AM
Ditto - some time ago, a guy did some work for me. When he was done, he told me "$250 bucks"

"WHAT??"

"Ummmm - $250?"

"Nope - I won't pay you $250. Its $350 or nothing."

"Ummmm....well, you drive a hard bargain..........."

So you are the guy that they are talking about on the geico radio ads

Jerome Hanby
02-10-2011, 9:34 AM
I wouldn't call it a gratuity, but i would definitely pay what you think it's worth if you are pleased with the work. Calling it a gratuity or a tip make it sound like I got your order right and kept your tea glass full. Saying you recognize the quality of the work and insist on paying a fair price, I think, says exactly what you are trying to say.

Of course this all probably just the way I see things. It was RAH that said that money is the most sincere form of flattery, so however you transfer the cash will get your point across.

Prashun Patel
02-10-2011, 10:06 AM
My guess is she considers you a friend too, and charged you far less than what she'd charge to a stranger. I've built several pieces for my coworkers and am reluctant to charge them much more beyond my cost. I know that they all offer to pay much more. Sometimes I accept, sometimes I dont, but I'm always grateful for the gesture.

Pay what you think it's worth. That's right and fair and good neigborish.