PDA

View Full Version : Lie Nielsen Events

Jonathan Spool
02-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Are products discounted at all at the events, or do you end up paying more due to sales tax collected?

Garrett Ellis
02-08-2011, 10:10 PM
I have been wondering this also...

Andrew Gibson
02-08-2011, 10:38 PM
The prices are not discounted at the LN events I have attended... trust me we tried.

I picked up a set of chisles this past weekend at the Tampa show. Price was $275. price after tax was $294.25

That should give you an idea. I am not sure how much shipping would have been, most likely less then $20, but I got to take them home with me on the spot.

Andrew Nemeth
02-08-2011, 11:09 PM
I received a free shipping coupon from them at the last show. I either had to ask for it or fill out a contest form. Might save you a few dollars on sales tax. Probably would not be worth the wait for me. Besides, technically I'm supposed to pay sales tax to my state on all internet purchases that were not taxed.

Jim Koepke
02-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Just realized my experience is different. They didn't have the tools at the show so the shipping was free. I was thinking there wasn't any sales tax, but then realized the show was in Portland, OR and there isn't any sales tax in Oregon.

They did throw in a fee DVD of my choice from their library.

My thought is that the experience of being able to handle the tools is more important than a discount. Still, I always ask.

jtk

Jonathan Spool
02-08-2011, 11:47 PM
I agree that the experience of handling the tools is why I would attend, but not necessarily encourage me to purchase the tools on the spot. It wouldn't take much to spend $500 or more at one of these events so at 9% sales tax here in WA, its worth taking into account, especially if I can get a shipping coupon at the event!

Andrae Covington
02-09-2011, 1:44 AM
I agree that the experience of handling the tools is why I would attend, but not necessarily encourage me to purchase the tools on the spot. It wouldn't take much to spend $500 or more at one of these events so at 9% sales tax here in WA, its worth taking into account, especially if I can get a shipping coupon at the event!

You could spend $45 ($500 x 9%) on gasoline driving down to the show here in Portland to avoid paying sales tax... :rolleyes:

Jim Koepke
02-09-2011, 2:49 AM
It wouldn't take much to spend $500 or more at one of these events so at 9% sales tax here in WA, its worth taking into account, especially if I can get a shipping coupon at the event!

You could spend $45 ($500 x 9%) on gasoline driving down to the show here in Portland to avoid paying sales tax...

I guess my luck is good by living so close to Portland.

jtk

Dave Schwarzkopf
02-09-2011, 10:57 AM
While they don't offer a discount at shows, if you call them up with a LARGE purchase, (I think it's roughly 10 tools, not to include little stuff like chisels and blades), they'll work with you. I've been able to manage a discount as well as have some little things thrown in like plane socks.

Like someone said; it never hurts to ask.

I can understand why they'd toss in DVDs vice a discount at the shows: it can't be cheap carting all of that stuff and people across the country. I doubt they come close to breaking even at the actual show, but they're likely paying it forward for future sales.

Prashun Patel
02-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Retailers are REQUIRED to charge sales tax in some states. Sometimes, they will be willing to take yr order in person, though, and ship you the order. You might be able to negotiate free shipping, and they won't have to charge sales tax in this case (it's up to you to pay it on yr own... ;))

I did this last year with another company like LN.

Chuck Nickerson
02-09-2011, 1:14 PM
Here in California, if you're willing to let LN ship a show order: no sales tax, no shipping, and at some point a DVD follows you home from show stock.

Personally, I'd rather they not discount and stay in business.

David Weaver
02-09-2011, 3:06 PM
I don't think the discount (any nominal discount) threatens them staying in business.

It's probably more a matter of them:
1) not wanting to be discourteous to the retailers still selling their stuff (who are not allowed to discount)
2) not wanting to discourage people from going through their webpage/storefront

If they could expand their business while most of their sales were being done through retailers (before they cut back on retailing and gray market stuff), they're probably doing pretty well now that they're keeping the margin the retailers would've made.

Regardless of the circumstances, they have been in business for a while, and it sounds like the early years were "on a shoestring and a prayer" as they say around here, so they're entitled to harvest some profits as a matter of policy without harrassment, especially with their superb customer service and consistent top quality.

Being a cheap descendent with some pa dutch lineage, though, I have to admit i purchase less stuff now that I can't get a discount. I don't know why we (us central pa german descendants) are so fixated on "getting a deal", but it's a permanent hard wired thing!