PDA

View Full Version : Old Apple Trio

Baxter Smith
02-08-2011, 8:18 PM
Roughed out this bowl and plate from an old uprooted apple tree last March. Finished them up over the last few days. The wood was kind of pretty so thought I would post them.
Apple Bowl - 9 ¼ x 3 ¼ x 3/8 - Walnut oil and Beeswax
181924181921181917 181922

Apple Plate - 9 ¼ x 1 ½ x ½ - AO

In October, I finished cutting up the tree and turned this other one thin and let it do its thing.

Apple Pot – 8 x 2 ¾ x 1/8 - except for the handles which are 1/16 due to operator error:) - AO

Thoughts and comments are always welcome.

John Keeton
02-08-2011, 8:29 PM
Baxter, very nice pieces, and I love the last "trio" shot! Did you mix the walnut oil and beeswax before application?

Dennis Ford
02-08-2011, 8:49 PM
They are all nice, my favorite is the natural edge with handles. I have not seen that design before.

Baxter Smith
02-08-2011, 8:50 PM
Baxter, very nice pieces, and I love the last "trio" shot! Did you mix the walnut oil and beeswax before application?

John, I mixed the two together at first and applied a coat. Later decided that I probably didn't get enough saturation that way, so went with about 3 more coats of straight walnut oil which it soaked right up. Then another coat of the mixture. Don't know what application method would be best, I just wing it!

Jon McElwain
02-08-2011, 9:06 PM
They are all nice, my favorite is the natural edge with handles. I have not seen that design before.

I agree with Dennis. I especially like the look in the first side profile of it. Excellent use of sapwood in each piece as well. Only one very minor nit - the outside curve on the first bowl straightens out just a tad too much. Another 1/8" skinnier right below the rim would make it IMHO. The grain pattern on the inside of that first bowl is really pretty. The color and finish is perfect on all these. I bet that natural edge feels light as feathers!

Bernie Weishapl
02-08-2011, 9:21 PM
Baxter those are all really nice. Love the apple wood.

Steve Vaughan
02-08-2011, 9:27 PM
WOW, Baxter, they're gorgeous! Love the color and grain of that apple! I've been keeping my eye out for someone cutting some down, or even storm damage, but no luck just yet. Those are great pieces there.

dan carter
02-08-2011, 9:34 PM
Very nice job. Nice color. The apple pot is the pick of the lot.

Mark Hubl
02-08-2011, 9:40 PM
Baxter those look great. Individually each piece is very nice, but they really look great as a trio. The apple is definetly good looking wood.

David E Keller
02-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Man, I love that wood! It's so warm, and each one of those pieces begs to be held. Nice trio.

Steve Schlumpf
02-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Baxter - real nice work on everything! Sure is some pretty wood! Really like the plate because of the grain variations!

Curt Fuller
02-08-2011, 11:03 PM
They're all really beautiful bowls, but I'm really liking the way you got the handles on the sides of the natural edged bowl. That's a neat idea.

Michelle Rich
02-09-2011, 3:44 AM
wow, that's pretty apple. I agree with many here who love the handled one. Very very appealing. Great trio

Fred Perreault
02-09-2011, 7:52 AM
Baxter, love the natural edge.....

bob svoboda
02-09-2011, 9:02 AM
All very nice, Baxter. Especially like the NE version.

Baxter Smith
02-09-2011, 9:06 AM
Thanks Dennis. I thought about trying to get a bit of a flair at the top edge as I was turning the outside of the NE and the handle idea just sort of evolved. A happy accident.:)

I agree with Dennis. I especially like the look in the first side profile of it. Excellent use of sapwood in each piece as well. Only one very minor nit - the outside curve on the first bowl straightens out just a tad too much. Another 1/8" skinnier right below the rim would make it IMHO. The grain pattern on the inside of that first bowl is really pretty. The color and finish is perfect on all these. I bet that natural edge feels light as feathers!

Thanks John. I agree with you about the outside curve straightening out. I felt the same way while turning but let it go. It was the first time I had tried a bowl with a rim like that. Kind of threw off what little rythym I have. Should have taken off that 1/8 more and then an 1/8 on the rim. My quest to keep it as large as possible won out but shouldn't have.:o
The NE is pretty light to pick up.

Thanks for all the nice comments. The wood is pretty to look at.

Tim Rinehart
02-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Very very nice trio, and like the others, I favor the NE piece too. I'm glad someone is having good luck with apple!

charlie knighton
02-09-2011, 1:33 PM
very nice, Baxter, thanks for sharing

Roland Martin
02-09-2011, 1:47 PM
Baxter, these are all great turnings with beautiful color and grain. Like John, I think the picture of the trio makes a great photo. IMHO, you are one of the best at really making an effort to center grain, it makes such a difference in the final turning. Thanks for posting.

Baxter Smith
02-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Very very nice trio, and like the others, I favor the NE piece too. I'm glad someone is having good luck with apple!
Thanks Tim. A lot of my luck may have been due to the tree being pretty much dead for a year and then rough turning it in the winter when the weather was cooler.

Baxter, these are all great turnings with beautiful color and grain. Like John, I think the picture of the trio makes a great photo. IMHO, you are one of the best at really making an effort to center grain, it makes such a difference in the final turning. Thanks for posting.
Thank you Roland. Sometimes the grain works out and sometimes not. Being able to cut your own blanks and starting between centers has benefits.

very nice, Baxter, thanks for sharing
Thanks Charlie. I don't think I will ever get tired of turning or looking at apple.

Brian Effinger
02-10-2011, 12:37 AM
The wood was kind of pretty so thought I would post them.
[FONT=Times New Roman]

The turning ain't bad either! ;) :) Well done on all three, although, I think the platter is my favorite.

steven carter
02-10-2011, 10:06 AM
I like all three, but also like the platter best. All very warm looking finishes.