PDA

View Full Version : Red Oak "Antique" bowl

John Keeton
02-08-2011, 5:35 PM
I really like the oak bowls by Raffan as pictured on the CSUSA catalogue. While working with the finish on the Burl Pagoda, and looking for something to do, I remembered I had a piece of oak left over from the timbers of our home. This little bowl is about 3x5, and has been dyed with a mix of Transtint, and then with brown leather dye. Just one coat of satin WOP, and buffed, as I wanted an old, rustic look.

Not a difficult turn, but kinda cute - and, again, Ms. Keeton likes this one! Two in a row!

I think I would like to work on some variations of this if I can get some wood together. Wet turned and warped might be neat, too.

Comments welcome.

Dennis Ford
02-08-2011, 5:39 PM
Nice work. You did a good job with the form on this (as usual).

Mark Hubl
02-08-2011, 5:42 PM
The bowl works for me. I really like bowls of this shape and the simple collar treatment. It does look old, so you achieved what you set out to do.

David E Keller
02-08-2011, 6:08 PM
Very cool... Instant patina! The form is great.

Jim Burr
02-08-2011, 6:24 PM
Two for two! Nice look and the Mrs is taken by it! Can't beat that!

Roger Chandler
02-08-2011, 6:43 PM
Very nice John........good form on it and the graduated rim/collar treatment is well executed as well. Pretty neat mix on the finish, and it is nice to see you do a bowl again....................I think every turner should do one now and then.......I am due one soon!

dan carter
02-08-2011, 6:45 PM
It came out looking good. That piece of oak might lend itself to the older look, but it does have an older look. Nice job.

Jack Mincey
02-08-2011, 6:54 PM
Love the color. The shape is great and being from a scrap of your homes lumber makes it all the better.
Jack

Jack Camillo
02-08-2011, 7:33 PM
This is the type of turning I hope to be able to do someday soon. I really like the form, and the finish is marvelous.

Harry Robinette
02-08-2011, 8:34 PM
John
The color you have on this piece is nothing shot of perfection.Your turning as always is outstanding.
Harry

Baxter Smith
02-08-2011, 8:43 PM
Great form and color! Reminds me of some old oak measures that my grandmother used to use to feed grain to her horses. I got a catalog in the mail not too long ago with 3 of that shape on the front. Took it out to the shop to copy but have yet to try.

Bernie Weishapl
02-08-2011, 9:18 PM
John you batting average with the Mrs. is getting pretty good. That bowl is really nice. Love the wood and form.

Steve Schlumpf
02-08-2011, 10:16 PM
John - probably just me but I often get the most pleasure from turning when it just comes from the heart and is not planned to the nth degree. This bowl falls into that category - the form, the controlled detail rings and the color all work well together! I can see these as a series! Have fun with it!

Curt Fuller
02-08-2011, 11:07 PM
I like this style bowl too. Which oak is it that is porous, red or white? The close ups of this look like it would leak like a sieve. Sure has a nice color though.

Doug W Swanson
02-08-2011, 11:16 PM
John,

Even though some may look at this as just a bowl, it's really more than that. The color looks like it is a really old piece and the collar helps it stand out by adding just a little 'oomph'.

Another fine specimen!

John Keeton
02-09-2011, 7:17 AM
Thanks, guys! I hope to find some larger wood to do another couple of these - kind of a simple turn and quick, but fun.
I like this style bowl too. Which oak is it that is porous, red or white? The close ups of this look like it would leak like a sieve. Sure has a nice color though.Curt, you are correct! It is red oak that is porous, and that is why white oak is preferred for any outdoor application. It will last considerably longer than would red oak.

Jim Adkins
02-09-2011, 8:45 AM
John, You nailed this one. Nice form, nice patina & Ms. Keeton likes it!! You did good!!

steven carter
02-09-2011, 8:56 AM
John,

Really nice new, old looking bowl. I like the "weathered" effect. Is that a slight ogee I see in the collar? Even if not still makes me want to say "oh gee, what a nice looking bowl:D".

Jeff Nicol
02-09-2011, 8:56 AM
John, I love it! I am a fan of red oak and would turn it all the time if there were not so many other types of wood to turn! I have some great big chunks if you want some, red and white. The color is like a fumed piece would look and is great!

Impressed as always,

Jeff

John Keeton
02-09-2011, 9:00 AM
Thanks, guys, and Steve, yes there is a slight "ogee" in the collar. Jeff, I sent you an email!!

charlie knighton
02-09-2011, 1:35 PM
very nice, John, thanks for sharing