PDA

View Full Version : The Burl Pagoda

John Keeton
02-08-2011, 5:28 PM
I continue to try new forms, and as I said before - some work, some don't. I kind of like this one, and more importantly, Ms. Keeton does, too!

BLM burl and holly. The holly is finished with matte acrylic and buffed to a very low sheen. The form was wet sanded with BLO, and finished with 4 coats of satin WOP, buffed to a fairly high gloss and Ren wax applied. 5" wide x just under 11". The form is replicated in the finial, and somewhat again in the top embellishment.

Let me know your thoughts on this one!

Justin Stephen
02-08-2011, 5:38 PM
That's gorgeous.

Pete Jordan
02-08-2011, 5:40 PM
Very Nice!

Dennis Ford
02-08-2011, 5:44 PM
This is a great design. Using gloss on the burl and satin on the holly was brilliant. Holly is wonderful to turn but we rarely see it with its natural white color.

Mark Hubl
02-08-2011, 5:48 PM
That's another beauty John. The burl is gorgeous and I like the way it works with the holly. I was just looking for some info on these multi piece finials. Any pics on how your doing them?

Dan Forman
02-08-2011, 5:50 PM
Gorgeous, and I like the repetition in the design. Nice to see something other than black in the finial too.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
02-08-2011, 5:54 PM
Mr. Keeton, you never fail to impress.

Another very, very nice piece!

David E Keller
02-08-2011, 5:57 PM
Nicely done, John. I particularly like the little bead detail on the form and the repetition of that detail in the finial... It's almost like a faux lid. The color combo works very well, too. Great work.

Tim Thiebaut
02-08-2011, 6:01 PM
I love this piece John very good job! I am working on a finial right now that I started a couple of days ago that is similar in that I am useing a different kind of wood inserted into the finial just as you have done here, hopefully have the whole piece done in a couple days now, again great job!

Jeff Moffett
02-08-2011, 6:08 PM
The burl is gorgeous, but the finial really sets this piece apart. I love the replicated form.

Roger Chandler
02-08-2011, 6:48 PM
Well, that one is special! I really like the replication of the form in the finial, and the color contrast of the burl to the pedestal and finial are superb! Your finish really popped the grain, and of course, your execution of the form is just superb as well.

I don't know where you are on your journey, but this one should give you some satisfaction factor.........I sure hope you do not become bored at this type of form, because that would truly be a shame as your work just inspires.

Just looking back at this again........wow!

Jack Mincey
02-08-2011, 6:51 PM
John,
I great piece of wood and the form is top shelf. You continue to turn out amazing forms.
Jack

gary Zimmel
02-08-2011, 6:52 PM
Beautiful work John. That chunk of burl is gorgeous and you sure did it justice..

Greg Ketell
02-08-2011, 7:05 PM
That is really amazing!! Thanks for inspiring!!

Jim Burr
02-08-2011, 7:19 PM
Wow...I'd like to see a photo of the lip ring at 2/3rd's! It seems to be a different accent that is really neat! The stem is classic and simple...wine glass form. Finial is, as always...well done! Since the Boss claimed it, I'm guessing it won't show up in my mail box :mad::confused::(

David DeCristoforo
02-08-2011, 7:28 PM
It's sweet, John. I'd say more but I'm plumb tuckered out from packing and moving and wishing it was done! So let me just say I really like this. Esp. the holly accents. Veeeeery nice!

Jack Camillo
02-08-2011, 7:30 PM
I'm obviously new here, and so, take it with a grain... I'm generally not a fan of finials, but the replication of the main form is an outstanding design. And being new, I'll be bold enough to say that if it were me, I'd cut the finial off at the top of the replication and leave the pointy stick out of the picture. The tiny form would then be a substantial enough handle to lift the top off. However, it's an incredibly beautiful piece the way it is. Thanks for sharing.

Brent Grooms
02-08-2011, 7:36 PM
John... WOW ... This is just over the top!

Scott Hackler
02-08-2011, 7:59 PM
I like this one a lot. The contrast between the BLM and the Holly are really nice and something different. The proportions are well balanced as well. It is really hard to find anything to critique anything about this one. One thing that I would wonder, is what would the finial look like with a very small bead of the BLM at the top detail. Kinda a double dose of finial extras.

Very nice and I see why the Mrs likes it.

John Keeton
02-08-2011, 8:25 PM
You all are just way too kind! Thanks so much for the comments.

I was just looking for some info on these multi piece finials. Any pics on how your doing them?Mark, no pics on this run. Seems like I did one once before, but it is really pretty simple. The cove base is turned as a separate piece, with the bottom facing the tailstock. It is completely sanded out, and then parted off. I use soft jaws to grasp the bottom, and finish off the top and drill a hole for a tenon. The burl is turned, hole drilled in the top, and then parted down to a tenon to fit the hole in the cove base. Same process for the top stem - turned and parted down to a tenon to fit in the top of the burl insert. All pieces are finished and buffed prior to assembly. They are glued together with 5 min. epoxy.

I am working on a finial right now that I started a couple of days ago that is similar in that I am useing a different kind of wood inserted into the finial just as you have done here, hopefully have the whole piece done in a couple days now, again great job!Tim, I look forward to seeing it! I bet you are doing a great job on it.

.......I sure hope you do not become bored at this type of form...Not likely, Roger. This is my favorite style, and sort of a fallback for me. I have been trying to do some variations. As I said - some work, some not so much!!

...I'm plumb tuckered out from packing and moving and wishing it was done!David, I bet you are! I hope never to move again - or, at least be so old and senile that I don't realize what is going on!!:rolleyes:

... leave the pointy stick out of the picture...But, Jack, I live for little pointy sticks!!!:D;)

...a very small bead of the BLM at the top detail. Kinda a double dose of finial extras.Thanks, Scott. I did contemplate that, but getting alignment on something that small would be tricky. Perhaps that is something to consider on another one. Thank goodness for lighted magnifiers!!:eek:

Baxter Smith
02-08-2011, 8:39 PM
Great piece John! The white holly makes a great contrast to the BLM. I haven't been able to figure out what wood I have that it would complement, guess I should just try it.

Jon Lanier
02-08-2011, 8:46 PM
Okay, my jaw just dropped to the floor. Wow!

Jon Nuckles
02-08-2011, 9:07 PM
Can't add anything to the comments other than beautiful.

Jon McElwain
02-08-2011, 9:13 PM
Stately piece! As others have commented, I like the repeated patterns - it proves that the shape is not an accident! My only critique is on the uppermost bead. Seems to me that the top of the bead should be completed just a little bit more. I love the holly, it has such a pure clean look to it.

Bernie Weishapl
02-08-2011, 9:14 PM
John that is a beautiful piece. I really like the finial on this one. Form, finish and contrasting woods just look great.

Fred Belknap
02-08-2011, 9:25 PM
John as usual a great job. I like the design and the wood. You have become a talented and skillful turner. I believe the piece would look just as good without the pedestal, but it looks good the way it is. It's nice to have someone like you to show us what can be done.:D

Steve Vaughan
02-08-2011, 9:31 PM
Dang John! I'm wanting to say that you done outdone yourself, but I'd be afraid to be wrong. That is one heck of a piece, and just so you know, I want to buy your first DVD, signed of course, when you start making them and this piece needs to be on the cover!

George Guadiane
02-08-2011, 9:44 PM
This looks like you should wear a tuxedo to hold it.

Beautiful!

Jake Helmboldt
02-08-2011, 9:46 PM
I'm not usually crazy about hollow forms on pedestals, but I really like this, in part I think because the holly pedestal kind of dissappears. It gives the form a lightness, almost like levitating. The execution is, as ususal for you John, quite exquisite. I leak the simple bead detail to add texture and a shadow line.

Jason Tuinstra
02-08-2011, 10:05 PM
John, great looking work! The subtle contrast and the form work very well together. I think this one's a keep!!!

Steve Schlumpf
02-08-2011, 10:11 PM
John - what to say that hasn't already been said? I am glad you left the Holly natural - I do think it contrasts quite well with the BLM. Your attention to detail is once again very evident as your finial proves that form is actually planned - not just happened upon!

Glad to hear Eileen likes this one! Proves yet again that she has good taste!

Beautiful work John! Looking forward to seeing what you imagine next!

Ron Stadler
02-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Very nice John, I too also caught the little bead design in the finial, thats really cool how you made it a miniature of the hollow form itself, very nice, I will probably try this now in one of my finials.

Alan Trout
02-08-2011, 10:40 PM
I really like this one John,

Well Done.

Alan

dirk martin
02-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Wow that's a sweet looking form.
Very nice job.

Curt Fuller
02-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Another beauty John! I like the repetition of the form in the finial and also the repetition of the pedestal in the finial. That long beautiful curve on the pedestal also lets your eye focus on the beautiful wood in the vase. They don't get much better.

David Warkentin
02-08-2011, 11:06 PM
I like it too.

Doug W Swanson
02-08-2011, 11:12 PM
John,
This is another excellent piece. Very well thought out and you did a great job of executing it. I like the light color in the finial because it seems like 99% of the finials are dark brown or black.

Spectacular once again!

BILL DONAHUE
02-08-2011, 11:23 PM
That's really impressive and it gives the rest of us something to shoot for. Would also like to see a few pics on how the finial was done. I particularly like the idea of having a finial in something other than black.

Michelle Rich
02-09-2011, 3:29 AM
First: I love the holly finial & base. Tired of black,black,black! I think the light color gives the burl an entirely different look. Fresher? cleaner? I also like the burl in the finial. Very lovely. It's a winner A#1

John Keeton
02-09-2011, 7:43 AM
Thanks for all the additional comments!! The truth is, I have to give credit to my design committee for the decision to leave the holly natural. After a "dry assembly" I queried both Ms. Keeton and Steve Schlumpf on whether to go with brown or black - their response was "leave it alone!" It was a very quick 2 to 1 vote!

On the details, as most of you know, I do a scaled drawing of nearly all of my HF turnings - even some bowls. For me, this permits me time to ponder the look for a couple of days, tweaking the elements, etc. Then, it is just a matter of duplicating the drawing in wood. Personally, I find that method much easier, but I suspect it is the lack of true artistry that causes me to be that way. I am certain many of the well recognized turners simply have the feel for what they want to do and never touch a pencil and paper. I admire those folks!! Thanks, again.

And, Jason Tuinstra, where have you been!!! It has been months. Are you still doing that beautiful furniture you build?

Tim Rinehart
02-09-2011, 8:26 AM
I think Michelle nailed it with the piece having a fresher/cleaner look. This is a beautiful piece John, and very well executed. That you choose to draw out ahead of time says to me you are no less of an artist (than you purport to be earlier), but rather you are an artist who can plan ahead to achieve exactly what he sets out on one medium before developing in another.

steven carter
02-09-2011, 9:11 AM
+1 on the decision to leave the holly "au natural". Beautiful piece, well thought out and as usual well executed. I would beg to differ with you on the concept that drawing it first is somehow less artistic than just winging it. It seems to me that the artfulness comes from the vision of the form and proportion, and colors that you come up with, whether drawn first or not to me is irrelevant as far as being artistic or not. Just wondering though, do you try different color combinations with the drawings?

Andrew Gibson
02-09-2011, 9:22 AM
John, I can never decide which is better, your turning or your photography.

James Combs
02-09-2011, 11:55 AM
John, as usual you've done it again. A few days ago you alluded to somewhat of a slump in your creativity. I think you must have had a bad reaction to something you ate. Your "slump" certainly had nothing to do with your artistry. That is a wonderful and as someone else said "fresh" looking piece.

Russell Eaton
02-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Another work of art. You sure set the bar high.

charlie knighton
02-09-2011, 1:30 PM
very nice John, nice to see lighter colors

Jason Tuinstra
02-09-2011, 4:27 PM
John, you are truly doing some stunning work here! Keep it up. It's inspirational.

I've been out of the loop for too long. Long story short, we moved from Cali back to Michigan a year or so ago and it took a bit to build a shop and find time to get into said shop. I'm building a shaker inspired desk right now. I'm about 75%-80% done. I've been posting construction pics at my site, but I'll post it here when I'm done... if/when it gets done : ) I don't want to bother the SMC bandwidth with construction pics.

Enough about me - keep up the fantastic turnings! And the photos are first rate as well. Do you have a little booth that you set up for this? Looked like two lights and a sheet of paper. Nice touch.

Blessings!

Dan Cannon
02-09-2011, 4:40 PM
I usually don't even feel worthy enough to comment on your pieces, but this one sticks out to me, I really like this form! and the miniature repeat of it in the finial puts it over the top for me. Inspiring stuff...

John Keeton
02-09-2011, 5:38 PM
Thanks, guys for your comments. They do mean a lot!

...do you try different color combinations with the drawings?Steve, I just do pencil drawings on 1/4" grid paper. I will shade areas that are to be black/brown, etc., as that does effect the scale of some elements. A lighter color finial usually will appear thicker than will a black one the same thickness.

A few days ago you alluded to somewhat of a slump in your creativity. I think you must have had a bad reaction to something you ate.Thanks, JD, I did have Mexican a couple of times during that period - maybe that was it!

And the photos are first rate as well. Do you have a little booth that you set up for this? Looked like two lights and a sheet of paper. Nice touch.

Blessings!Thanks, Jason - so good to hear from you again, and I hope you are doing well. Great memories from my flatwork days!! I do have a simple photo tent like many of the turners here on the creek, but I have eliminated the lights in favor of my shop lights and a longer exposure with a small shutter aperature. Seems to give me a better depth of field and detail. The lighting is a little hard to control sometimes depending on ambient conditions. We have snow on the ground, and that really plays into it as I get light in the shop windows.

Steve Schlumpf
02-09-2011, 5:50 PM
John - Congrats on this piece getting the cover honors over on WOW! Well deserved recognition!

Roger Chandler
02-09-2011, 6:57 PM
Congratulations John on the WOW cover photo............you should feel right at home there, as you have had several. A nice honor, and well deserved recognition.

John Keeton
02-09-2011, 8:21 PM
Thanks, guys. Roger, I don't care how many covers one gets, it is still a humbling, yet exciting experience!

David DeCristoforo
02-09-2011, 8:32 PM
Here's the funny thing... there's an identical piece on the front page of the World of Woodturners site today. If that ain't synchronicity I don't know what is!

John Keeton
02-09-2011, 8:36 PM
David, perhaps it is another dimension - a time warp thing?!?!? How is the move going, BTW? You gotta be whooped!

David DeCristoforo
02-09-2011, 8:43 PM
"...You gotta be whooped!"

Well, I guess whooped it one way to put it. Or thrashed. Or pounded. There's a plethora of appropriate adjectives. But it's going well. My tent is reconstructed over at the new place and the floor is going back in tomorrow. Movers are coming on Friday to take the furniture and my lathe. Most everything else has already been schlepped over there so by Sunday night we should be pretty much settled in.

Rich Aldrich
02-09-2011, 8:44 PM
John - the color match is great. I really like the burl. Great job.

Pierce Davidson
02-10-2011, 12:23 AM
Spectacular in all respects.

Brian Effinger
02-10-2011, 12:59 AM
Wow, John, just wow. :) The proportions are spot on, as is the combination of wood & color. The rim is a nice little break in the form, which keeps holds my eye in that area and gets me primed & ready for a spectacular finial. And what a finial it is. The mini form is always great. Next time, I'd like to see it hollowed out and the uppermost portion of the finial be a finial for the mini form - kind of as a surprise to be discovered. Overall the form is wonderful because it is simple and elegant. You have just the right amount of detail in just the right places.

Well done! :)

Oh, and congratulations on the well deserved honor of the cover.

John Keeton
02-10-2011, 7:02 AM
Rich, Pierce - thanks! Brian, it is so good to see you back on the creek. Thanks for the kind words, and I will start looking for those tiny little hollowing tools!!

JerHall
02-15-2011, 10:00 AM
The little detail of the repeating half "V's all the way from the base to the finial... The framing of the burl by the light wood, the form, the photography, no wonder Mrs. Keeton grabbed that one.

John Keeton
02-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Jerry, thanks for the comments! I suspect this one will be for sale, notwithstanding Ms. Keeton's endorsement. While she likes it, art objects are not her thing. She prefers a more earthy look to woodturnings - quite different from the pieces I normally do.

Mike Cruz
02-15-2011, 10:56 AM
I don't know, John, I think you are losing your touch. :rolleyes: :D