PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used or own the Powermatic Model DDS225 25" drum sander?

Jeff Longley
02-08-2011, 4:47 PM
Hello, I am new to the forum and to woodworking. I am looking to purchase the last few machines to get my hobby shop up and running. When it came to drum sanders, I am currious how the PM DDS225 25" drum sander performs. I have all PM equipment and have read alot about dual drum sanders. I am wanting to hear from someone who actually has one or uses one for work or for a home shop.

Any input, be it good or bad would be helpfull in my decision making process.

Thanks,

Jeff

Van Huskey
02-08-2011, 5:06 PM
First off I am a fan of PM and have used the DDS225 (one of my cousins has one) and it is a fine sander. However, if you are buying new I would HIGHLY suggest you look at the Woodmaster sanders, they are US made and I have yet to find a drum sander built better or operate better. They aren't pretty but they are tanks. I would not trade my single drum 38" for the DD PM, even though I like mustard and black better! With the WM you could get a 50" single drum for about the same money as the PM and keep 1 grit on one side and one grit on the other (H&L drums). They make a 26, 38 and 50 inch single and a 38 and 50" double drum. Frankly I would rather have a wider drum (at least 38") over a 25" DD.

Jeff Longley
02-08-2011, 5:32 PM
Thanks Van for the input. Yes I have thought about the woodmaster and I have heard good things about them. The WoodMaster is local to me which is a good thing as well.

Jeff Duncan
02-08-2011, 9:58 PM
I haven't tried the Woodmaster but I did own the Powermatic for several years. For an Asian made machine I found it very well built. Short of a widebelt I don't think you can go wrong with it.
good luck,
JeffD

Joe Jensen
02-08-2011, 10:02 PM
I have owned a PM DDS225 for about 2 years. I bought it used before the recession in like new condition for $2000. I'm sure that you could find one for less today. In 28 years of this hobby I've only built one thing that I would have used a sander wider than 24" on, my kitchen table. I took that to a shop that had a big wide belt sander. Cost me $50 to have them sand both sides. I did all new cabinet doors for my house a few years ago before I owned the drum sander. I paid $100 an hour plus like $50 for the belt wear to sand all the center panels. It took about an hour. With the drum sander it would have taken 4-5 hours easily.

I have only changed the paper once, but I take very light cuts. I don't try to use the drum sander as a planer, and I don't need to "level" glue ups as I start with straight flat stock.

The other consideration is space. I have a 3 car suburban workshop, and space is my biggest constraint. I waited a long time to add a drum sander because of the space it takes up. I am now glad I have it, but it did force me to go from stationary positions for all my tools, and I now have 3 large tools that I have to move around on casters. A 50" machine is pretty big, be sure to see one if you don't have tons of shop space.

Jeff Longley
02-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Joe thanks for the info. on the sander. Like I said I am new to the woodworking world but want to get the right tools for the job. Sounds like you got a smokin deal on your sander. I have looked around and just can't find any of that caliber for $2000. I am mainly going to be making kitchen cabinets, entertianment centers, bathroom vanities, and maybe some furniture. I think the 25" may be the right size for me. You make a good point, if I need to sand something bigger than 25", then just bring it to a shop.

I have a lot of learning to do so I hope input from folks like yourselfs can get me the answers I am looking for.

Thanks,

Jeff

Van Huskey
02-09-2011, 12:22 AM
I have looked around and just can't find any of that caliber for $2000.
Thanks,

Jeff

It would take a whole weekend (assuming you have a trailer or rent one) but consider this:

http://shreveport.craigslist.org/tls/2186573975.html

You would have a heck of a sander and $2500 in your pocket...

Mike Wilkins
02-09-2011, 11:17 AM
I am in the process of evaluating 24-25" dual drum sanders for purchase soon. The PM machine looks real nice, but for now it is out of my price range. The 25" machines are currently in the $2000-2200 dollar range. If you check out the available machines in this range, you will see that there are not many differences, other than color and name plate. Each has two 5" drums, 3HP motors, variable speed belt feed, and 2 dust collection ports on top. So far my short list is the Woodtek from Woodworkers Supply and the Laguna Tools machine. Unfortunately these type machines do not come up very often on the various lists of used equipment.

Jeff Longley
02-09-2011, 3:45 PM
Mike, Yes I don't really want to buck up for the money as well. I would however like to get something that is not to hard to load the drums, has a good warranty, and will last. I will look at the ones that you have mentiond and perhaps one of those could be the one. Thanks for your input. As we all know, it pays to shop around!

Jeff

Jeff Longley
02-09-2011, 4:23 PM
Hello to all. Well in looking around and talking to others, the Powermatic and the WoodMaster are the only machines that carry a 5 Year Warranty that I have found so far. Laguna although A nice looking machine only carries a 1 Year Warranty from date of purchase which was straight from their website. Grizzly/ShopFox carried a 2 year warranty that had a lot of caveats on the shipping of the unit back to them if repairs are to be made. Who knew trying to find a good tool would be so hard.

Jeff Duncan
02-09-2011, 4:34 PM
Be very careful here if your thinking about buying sight unseen. I checked out a General import sander that wasn't too much cheaper before I bought the Powermatic,
and it was at best half the machine. Guys like to throw around the old " it's the same machine with different paint", well that may be true on the odd occasion, but certainly not the norm in my experience.
Buyer beware!

JeffD

Van Huskey
02-09-2011, 5:07 PM
the Powermatic and the WoodMaster are the only machines that carry a 5 Year Warranty that I have found so far.

They also both have 6" steel drums (not aluminum) and reversing.

Mike Crowder
02-10-2011, 9:56 PM
I'll throw my hat in the ring and also vote you should take a look at the Woodmaster. If you're local you should call them up and set up a time you can go by and get a live demo of the machine. I know several of the guys over there personally and can tell you you won't find a nicer, more helpful bunch. Shameless plug over now :)

Chip Lindley
02-11-2011, 6:57 PM
...I don't really want to buck up for the money as well. I would however like to get something that is not to hard to load the drums, has a good warranty, and will last....As we all know, it pays to shop around!

Jeff

+1 Again on Woodmaster! They are great machines made in KCMO. I do not buy new, so warranties have no value to me. I pay my bargain prices and take my chances. There is little to go wrong with a Woodmaster. Motors are commercial Leesons and the variable-speed DC conveyor motor is plenty hefty. That 25" WM in Sherveport is a really decent buy. Those really good buys come along once in a Blue Moon!

I was lucky to snatch up a Woodmaster 38" double drum machine in the Missouri Bootheel last year for $1200. Nothing wrong with it whatsoever. The guy just needed the money. Velcro-covered drums and felt-backed sanding rolls make paper changing a breeze. The rear drum has micro-adjustable depth control. The 7.5hp single-phase Leeson has power to spare. The only step up I could make in a sander would be a wide belt--for really Big Bucks! I will stick with my awsome Woodmaster!