PDA

View Full Version : Purple Passion Hollow Form

Steve Schlumpf
02-08-2011, 1:02 PM
Maple hollow form with an acrylic finial, 8 ¾” to top of finial x 8” diameter x approx. 3/16” thick. Sanded to 400 grit, dyed with RIT purple dye and has several coats of wipe-on poly. The hollow form was finished over a week ago and has since been buffed and given a coat of Renaissance wax.

181822 181818 181821 181817 181820 181819

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!

dan carter
02-08-2011, 1:06 PM
That's a beauty. The acrylic works well, nice job.

Mark Hubl
02-08-2011, 1:11 PM
That is really a clean piece Steve. The color came out very well. And, I always like the acrylic finials that you do. Very nice.

Greg Just
02-08-2011, 1:12 PM
Very nice. I like the purple and the way the knots show through the dye.

Alan Trout
02-08-2011, 1:17 PM
Steve, Cool!!

Truly unique and beautiful. Very well done!!!

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
02-08-2011, 1:20 PM
That thing is sharp Steve. Really nice form and finish. Love the finial.

Tim Rinehart
02-08-2011, 1:27 PM
I like the main form and shape of finial works well, but I'm not a big fan of acrylics in this capacity. I think a black finial would make a stunning contrast and better compliment the piece...again, IMO perhaps only. All that being said, a more modern art scene would welcome this approach using acrylics with open arms, I suspect.
Well executed piece that we can all learn from regardless.

Roger Chandler
02-08-2011, 1:28 PM
That one is stunning, Steve! I really like the shape of the form itself, and the finial..........did you have to carve it, heat it up and bend it to get that shape, or how did you accomplish the bent finial form?

I think this is such an eye catcher, and it will certainly find a place among other forms you have done using acrylic. I do like the purple, and I think you gave it an appropriate name..........you have a passion for turning, and this turning is purple, so "purple passion" does speak to its existence.

I got a little excited when I saw this one!:D Makes me wonder.......what will you come up with next? I am thinking my time is overdue for another foray into the "world of dyeing" and this has just inspired me..........gee, that is real nice!!! :cool::D

Jon Lanier
02-08-2011, 1:33 PM
Now that is truly unique. I'm curious as to what liming wax would do to a piece like that?

Dan Hintz
02-08-2011, 1:38 PM
I'll have to agree with Tim on this one... something about acrylic topping a nice piece that lessens it somehow. Now if that same piece was done in glass, then we might have something... maybe a black or smoked gray? I like the bowl itself either way...

Jeff Moffett
02-08-2011, 1:55 PM
I really like the contemporary form and love the purple!

Tim Thiebaut
02-08-2011, 2:13 PM
That is beautiful Steve, that is just amazing color you have in the piece of wood. Personaly I dont care for arcylic mixed with wood pieces, but this does work very nice with your HF.

Baxter Smith
02-08-2011, 2:18 PM
Great shape and color! I would really like to see the finial in person. Hard for me to make out its exact shape. Distinctive and eyecatching overall. Very well done!

Quinn McCarthy
02-08-2011, 2:22 PM
Steve,

Didn't know what to call this but Jeff hit it on the head. Contyempoary. And gorgeous. WHat colors do you have left in your pallet for us?

Quinn

John Keeton
02-08-2011, 2:24 PM
Steve, this came together quite well!! You do need to post a close up pic of the finial so the detail can be appreciated. Having seen a "preview", I can attest to its beautifully done facets and flowing curves - a wonderful combination of angles and curves. Which brings me to the title - Purple Passion is so appropriate as this piece has a certain sensuality to it! You have done a fantastic job with the turning, and the vision of the finial was pure art!

steven carter
02-08-2011, 2:36 PM
+1 on the request for close up of the finial, it is hard to see the shape. A lot of different things on this one, the form of both the HF and the finial, and the color. Love the color and form, and suspect I will like the finial better when I can see more of it. This is a turning that I wish we had scrollable 3d capabilities with.

Tony De Masi
02-08-2011, 2:38 PM
Very cool piece Steve. Not sure if you did an off set turning for the finial or not, but I do like it.

bob svoboda
02-08-2011, 2:52 PM
Really different....Really nice. Good job Steve.

gary Zimmel
02-08-2011, 2:59 PM
Sweet work as usual Steve.

Steve Schlumpf
02-08-2011, 3:10 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone - I appreciate it! I do apologize to those folks that prefer only wood but the look I was after was not possible any other way.

The finial was turned but only the bottom portion so that I could fit it to the lid. After that it was shaped by using a drum sander, an oscillating belt sander and lots & lots of hand sanding!

Here are a few additional photos that - hopefully - show the various facets of the piece. The photos are in sequence and the finial was rotated clockwise after every shot.

181838 181836 181834 181837 181835

Thanks again for the kind words!

Tim Rinehart
02-08-2011, 3:16 PM
Seeing the finial closeups, I think my opinion has changed a bit. This looks more like crystal than acrylic, close up. The devil is in the details, as is said. Very elegant and well done.

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-08-2011, 3:26 PM
Steve,
You must have a sense of "fashion forward". You dyed your hollow form this years hottest linen color. Our event rental company finds purple to be this season's most requested color. It looks great on your turning as well. The clear finial adds a contemporary appearance.
faust

David E Keller
02-08-2011, 3:40 PM
That's really cool! I love the look of the acrylic finial, and having made a few plastic pens, I can imagine the amount of sanding and polishing that went into achieving such a great finish on it.

I love purple, so the color choice is spot on for me, too!

I keep thinking about the possibilities of lighting the finial from within the form with some type of LED... Not sure that's the look you're going for, but that's what's running through my head.

Great job and thanks for sharing. Did I mention that I love the finial?

Rick Markham
02-08-2011, 4:40 PM
I like it Steve, that's "Plum crazy!" I was thinking it was the wildest looking purpleheart I have seen, then I read your description. I really like the form and the color, and the finial works perfectly. After having looked at WOW, I think the turner's on the Creek are really on the "cutting edge" (I know, can't resist the puns today) and this piece really shows it. I gotta say, in classic mopar muscle, plum crazy purple works... On this hollow form, it definitely works fantastically.

I am in the early stages of experimenting with dye, I am sure I will have some questions for you. I do have a question for you now though, I am having difficulty buffing WOP, I was hoping you would be willing to share your procedure with me Steve. Feel free to PM me I don't want to hijack your thread.

Michael E. Thompson
02-08-2011, 4:57 PM
I can only imagine how long it took to sand that acrylic. Really quite stunning. Always eager to see you pieces.

Mike

Christopher K. Hartley
02-08-2011, 5:21 PM
Steve, this is exquisite! Great Job. Thanks for sharing.:)

Dan Forman
02-08-2011, 5:56 PM
Wonderful if non-traditional. The finial looks like cut crystal, must have taken lots of hand sanding.

Dan

Jack Mincey
02-08-2011, 6:49 PM
Steve, as always a great looking form. The finial must have taken a ton of hand work.
Jack

BILL DONAHUE
02-08-2011, 7:01 PM
Wow! That's beautiful. In a word - elegant. Do you intend to sell it and if so, for how much?

Jim Burr
02-08-2011, 7:12 PM
I looked at this for a bit Steve. The form is modern and who says you can't do that?! I really like it!! I'm working on the finial. I think it lacks the ummph to carry the rest of the form. By the same token...the traditional blackwood or ebony would not compliment it...rather be the status quo. Maybe same material, different form?Hmmmmm..I just don't know :(:confused:

David DeCristoforo
02-08-2011, 7:30 PM
Oh my! That is really something else! Love the acrylic... looks like glass. Maybe you will want to branch out into glass blowing! Would be killer if it was glass. But it's still crazy nice.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Michael James
02-08-2011, 7:40 PM
That's another home run! The piece grows on me and I like it better each time I go back to it. Not my favorite form but it IS nice, and very nicely done. Love the purple and the acrylic too. I can see the reflection of the finial in the finish..... nice! Certainly more urban than rural look about it.
Just my .02, thanks for posting.
mj

Baxter Smith
02-08-2011, 8:45 PM
Thanks for the closeup pics of the finial Steve. The facets seal the deal!

Kieran Kammerer
02-08-2011, 9:49 PM
Steve,
Very beautiful piece. I really like the color and the overall shape of the form. Kepp up the beautiful work. Kieran

Ron Stadler
02-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Everybody's been busy on some very nice and interesting projects I see, love the acrylic finial and hf, very nice Steve.

Curt Fuller
02-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Steve, you've blown me away again! What an amazing piece! I love the finial and the way it reflects off the mirror finish on the vase. Hand shaped and polished.....wow! I suppose this one is going in the show?

Michelle Rich
02-09-2011, 3:40 AM
wooooweee, now that's purple. Very eye catching.

Jim Adkins
02-09-2011, 8:51 AM
Ooooooh, I like this one a lot Steve, nice form, color and the finial works good. Well done.

Scott Hubl
02-09-2011, 9:11 AM
Nice one Steve.

And my Favorite color too! I LOVE Purple.

Ron Bontz
02-09-2011, 9:19 AM
I don't usually like anything purple. But this is quite nice with the acrylic. Belongs in an art show.

Tim Hughes37
02-09-2011, 1:51 PM
Absolutely beautiful. The clear acrylic is a very nice accent to the deep purple. A wonderful job indeed!

Carol Kinney
02-09-2011, 2:45 PM
Love this piece Steve, great shape and color! It's very distinctive and I'm sure an eye catcher in any room. I love the contemporary look!

dean griffith
02-09-2011, 3:44 PM
Great job Steve. Beautiful job on the dye.

Roland Martin
02-09-2011, 3:47 PM
I'm not one to get very excited about purple, Steve, but when presented with an extraordinary combination like this, it's much easier to get excited, no matter what color. That acrylic finial is amazing and makes my fingers ache just thinking of all that hand work. It's especially difficult to keep the crisp details as you did while sanding and buffing. A fine piece of art, Steve, as usual.

philip labre
02-09-2011, 6:08 PM
Great piece Steve!!! Exceptional work as usual.

Maria Alvarado
02-09-2011, 6:35 PM
Have to jump on the bandwagon Steve, this really is a wonderful piece. That finial is truly something special.

Rich Aldrich
02-09-2011, 8:49 PM
Steve - nice job. The purple really looks good. The finial really sets it off.

Suzanne Launer
02-09-2011, 9:19 PM
Wow...i really love it. And purple's my favorite color!

Brian Effinger
02-10-2011, 12:30 AM
That is a stunning piece. The form, color and finish are great, but it is the finial that puts it over the top, for me. I'd love to have this piece in my hands so I could study it in great detail from every angle. I bet this is one of those situations where the photos (while excellent) don't do the piece justice. :)

Again, I just have to say I love the finial. I can certainly appreciate how much work went into it, which makes me love it even more.

Cathy Schaewe
02-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Not to be repetitive, but this is a stunning piece. The finial does look like crystal in the closeup, which I find complementary to the modern purple form.

Kenneth Hertzog
02-10-2011, 10:41 AM
The purple base and the Clear acrylic are fantastic
Now lets light the finial with a multi color LED
that clear would light nicely IMHO :D
Ken