PDA

View Full Version : Almost Fabulous

Mark Hubl
02-08-2011, 12:35 PM
It seems to me that Cindy Drozda’s work provides inspiration to many. When it comes to spinnin’ sticks, her finials and pedestals are the gold standard for me. I also think she does a top notch job on her DVD’s as well.

I was lucky to have a brief conversation with her at a gallery in Chicago and see her work up close. Her form and detail work are quite amazing. So, with that in mind I thought it was time to hone some skills and do some apprentice pieces. I chose her diminutive fabulous finial box as my project.

So here are the results of the first few. Of course a couple found a home in the shavings under my lathe. These are fun to do and are good skill builders. Each of these has flaws, but the eighth is definitely better than the first. I think my masculine sensibilities created onions that were too phat and lacked lift. I focused on this and got a better result on the last one I did. A couple hundred more and I may get it.

They are maple and walnut. The trim rings are coco, purpleheart and yellowheart.

Steve Mawson
02-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Agree with your critique but still very nice. I believe you are well on your way to some great pieces. I have Cindy's DVD coming so may get a chance to try for myself.

Bernie Weishapl
02-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Mark those are beauties. I did several of these after watching her DVD. These are fun to make. Yours are nicely done and agree with your critique.

dan carter
02-08-2011, 1:03 PM
They look good. Nice job.

bob svoboda
02-08-2011, 1:03 PM
Very nice Mark.

Roger Chandler
02-08-2011, 1:35 PM
Showing some real potential there! Nice forms, and I agree with your own critique of the "phat onion" but that is easily solved. Nice work!

Tim Thiebaut
02-08-2011, 2:20 PM
Very nice! I have been practiseing my finial work this week myself but to be completely honest I am having a tough time getting it down, for some reason it is just not clicking in my brain, you on the other hand are doing fantastic! I love these pieces great job!

Baxter Smith
02-08-2011, 2:21 PM
They look good! Practice pays off!

John Keeton
02-08-2011, 2:27 PM
Mark, great work!! You have left us to guess which is the 8th and most recent - so, I think the one in the back on the tallest plinth is the latest - and, the best from what I see.

gary Zimmel
02-08-2011, 3:09 PM
Very nice Mark. They all look pretty darn good to me...

Bob Bergstrom
02-08-2011, 4:24 PM
Mark Nice work. Finials can be many different shapes. Study the steeples of Russian churches or the ones in the middle eastern countries. I think Cindy has put us into the Calvin Klein look for finials. Sometimes a figure with a little more meat on it can look great too. Hope to see them at the woodturners meeting.

Mark Hubl
02-08-2011, 5:53 PM
Thanks all for taking a look. These are fun and a bit of a challenge. The hardest part for me is getting the jam fit for doing the finial.

You have left us to guess which is the 8th and most recent - so, I think the one in the back on the tallest plinth is the latest

You sir are correct. Unfortunately we are out of cupie dolls!

David E Keller
02-08-2011, 6:04 PM
Nicely done, Mark. I think your detailing is spot on, but I agree with your onion assessment. Scaling them down shouldn't be too much trouble for someone with your skills.

David DeCristoforo
02-08-2011, 7:34 PM
Those are great. I think you are right... we have to watch those "phat onions". But I don't think it has anything to with "masculine sensibilities". Just takes a while to get a feel for this kind of stuff. I have been struggling with the same issue. Stuff either turns out to fat or too thin. Hard to get it "just right". But you done good with these.

Michael James
02-08-2011, 7:47 PM
Very nice Mark, and practice is what it always takes. Seeing these, Im thinking after a couple more HF's I should try a couple of these. I guess I can't avoid finials forever! Cindy's vids are pretty good, but Im not a fan of her voice timbre or tonality............:eek:
Thanks for posting.

Curt Fuller
02-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Really not a bad one in the bunch.

Michelle Rich
02-09-2011, 3:37 AM
We are always our own worst critic. For firsts, I think you did very well. Now the trick is to take this concept and make it your own.

Montgomery Scott
02-09-2011, 2:55 PM
If you like her finials, check out the work of ornamental turner James Harris

http://www.ornamentalturner.com/gallery_lhv.htm

Carol Kinney
02-09-2011, 3:08 PM
Yep, have to agree with Michelle, we are our own worst critic which is good to a point because it makes us work so hard to make that perfect piece. All of them are wonderful the hard work is really paying off. Before too long you'll start putting your own touches into them.

Carol Kinney
02-09-2011, 3:12 PM
Oh and I also love her videos - I have "Finial Star" and "Fabulous Finial Box" both are great. They have definitely inspired me to work harder on my finials and the over all box.

Thanks for sharing!