PDA

View Full Version : Extrator/Dust collector wont start

Jiten Patel
02-08-2011, 4:13 AM
Hey guys,

My dust collector packed in last night. Less that 2month old. Its the UK version of the 1hp Harbour Freight model that a lot of you use.

It was working fine last night, then I turned it off for 10 mins. Tried to turn it back on and the start button clicks as normal but the is a very sligh buzzing but it doesnt turn on. I disconnected all the pipes, gave it a clean and it started back up. It ran for another hour and a half, but then I noticed a change in sound, like it was losing power, and the fan speed started fluctuating. So I turned it off, and it hasnt turned on since.
I have to go get a new one because I need my laser to be operational as I have orders to finish and we have the UK's biggest wedding show to prep for next week but would like to know if this one can be fixed easily. It's still under warranty which is a bonus. Just thought under 2 months of use and it dies....not really a sign of good build quality!!!

Anyone else have this problem?

Chuck Stone
02-08-2011, 8:12 AM
sounds like the brushes to me.

There should be two plastic screw covers on the motor body. Behind those are the
motor brushes, which are spring loaded. If you open them up you can see if the
brushes have worn out already (not normal! ) or if one broke/got stuck etc.
You can probably return the unit under warranty, but brushes might be considered
consumable.

They're common motor brushes, but if you can't find exactly the right size you can
get some oversized ones and easily trim them down on a sander. (kinda like sanding
the point on a pencil, they're very soft.. so GO SLOW! DAMHIKT)
Should be back in business for less than the cost of a sandwich .. and in less
time than it takes to eat one.

Jiten Patel
02-08-2011, 9:15 AM
Thanks Chuck. I will have a look later on tonight. Got my sister to pick me up another one just incase. I suppose if i can fix this one it will be a spare.

Robert Walters
02-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Jit,

If it's like the red HF one...

You can also check the switch if it's malfunctioning (or bypass the built in switch and use a switched power strip)

Someone on here mentioned replacement brushes in an autoparts store (search the forum)

It's speed controllable to a point using a router speed control, which would reduce sound/speed/electricity usage:
http://www.harborfreight.com/router-speed-control-43060.html

Jiten Patel
02-09-2011, 4:56 AM
Thank you guys for your help. Chuck you were on the money. One of the brushes was broken. The copper wire had detatched itself. I wrapped it round and "there she blows"!.

Thank you guys, Sawmill is lengendary!