PDA

View Full Version : So I got a WoodRiver #5 and...

Bobby O'Neal
02-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Its really nice, actually. I'm no hand tool expert by any means but the machining is awesome and the finish and feel overall are great. Right out of the box I was able to make some nice smooth cuts and that sweet sound. Whooosh, Whooosh.

Mike Henderson
02-07-2011, 11:47 PM
I've looked at them at the store but have not used them. They certainly look good. Thanks for the feedback.

Mike

john brenton
02-08-2011, 12:09 AM
I've heard nothing but good things about them here. I'm not sure how well they are honed out of the box, but I bet a few passes on a good stone will turn that " whooosh" into a "ssssssssss" in no time. I like that woooosh sound too though!

Its really nice, actually. I'm no hand tool expert by any means but the machining is awesome and the finish and feel overall are great. Right out of the box I was able to make some nice smooth cuts and that sweet sound. Whooosh, Whooosh.

Chris Griggs
02-08-2011, 7:43 AM
Yep, they generally perform quite well. I got the number 6 (a second generation, not the V3), and it has worked beautifully. I did hone the blade and chip breaker before using it out of the box, as the grind on them was a bit rough, but that was no big deal to me.

Paul Incognito
02-08-2011, 8:13 AM
I've tried them at the store and have to agree, they are quite nice.

Paul

Brett Robson
02-08-2011, 8:30 AM
I agree as well. I own their #3 and low angle block plane. Both are fantastic, IMHO.

Casey Gooding
02-08-2011, 2:21 PM
I have several Wood River planes. Generally, they are quite nice and capable of taking extremely fine shavings. My main complaint is the adjustments are not very responsive and have a lot of play in them (mine are the earlier versions before they altered the design). I understand some of that has been fixed.

Jim Watts
02-08-2011, 7:38 PM
廉价的中国废话

But, to each his own.

brian c miller
02-08-2011, 9:19 PM
For those that don't speak Mandarin: 廉价的中国废话 is Cheap Chinese Crap.

Roy Lindberry
02-08-2011, 9:27 PM
If its a v3, then I've heard great things about them. Even Rob Cosman has spoken highly of them, having had a hand in evaluating and suggesting improvements.

Steven Hart
02-08-2011, 10:09 PM
廉价的中国废话

But, to each his own.

Actually it would be 廉价中国商品--you can't trust auto translation software.

Ironically 废话 means nonsense or BS. :)

Mark Baldwin III
02-09-2011, 6:29 AM
廉价的中国废话

But, to each his own.

I can't knock their quality, because I've never used one. But I can't bring myself to buy anything made in China anymore. BTW...I was totally going to hold my tongue on that, but since you said it, I thought I'd throw my vote in too. If they were made anywhere else, I'd probably try one out.

brian c miller
02-09-2011, 8:21 AM
I thought 废话 was Feihua and as a verb ment to talk nonsense, and as a noun it was nonsense, rubbish, or crap.

Either way I take it you're not impressed.

James Scheffler
02-09-2011, 8:59 PM
I can't knock their quality, because I've never used one. But I can't bring myself to buy anything made in China anymore. BTW...I was totally going to hold my tongue on that, but since you said it, I thought I'd throw my vote in too. If they were made anywhere else, I'd probably try one out.

I've been thinking about that a lot lately. A lot of environmental destruction and worker exploitation goes into producing cheap goods in China (and India, and many other places). On the other hand, sometimes it's genuinely hard to find something NOT made in China, or the price of the better alternative (for example, made in USA or Canada) is really too much. Sometimes I'm able to rationalize it if it's something well-made, durable, and will be used a lot. The Wood River planes might make the cut someday, although I'm trying to resist the plane-buying habit. (At least until my current crop of "project" planes get refurbished into something useful).

The cheap Chinese toys they give away at McDonald's really make me cringe. A lot of times, my kids play with them for about five minutes and then they just clutter up the house until they get thrown away. Yet we can't seem to stop collecting more....

Jim S.

Danny Burns
02-10-2011, 10:28 PM

Lee Valley and Lie-Nielsen are made in North America ....

Dale Murray
02-12-2011, 12:48 PM
The cheap Chinese toys they give away at McDonald's really make me cringe. A lot of times, my kids play with them for about five minutes and then they just clutter up the house until they get thrown away. Yet we can't seem to stop collecting more....

Jim S.

Stop going to McDonalds.

My wife and I try to be ethical with our purchases. Unfortunately the pool of choices is frequently limited so when import is seemingly the only choice we try to get the best quality that will last the longest though it often costs more.

The problem with cheap goods is the disposable mentality that often accompanies them - "it was cheap, I will toss it and buy another one".

About ten years ago we bought Lodge cast iron pans and Calpholon(sp?) stainless steel cook wear, both are wildly more expensive than cheap stuff from target; we still have all the pieces and all are in perfect working order. The two non-stick Calpholon pans have lasted eight years so far. I am sure we will have these pieces another 20-30 years.

My point being, buy quality once and be done with it.

If the Woodriver planes are good and last 30-50 years then their longevity may somewhat balance the potential environmental impact on their manufacturing, assuming it is not the worst in the world.

Personally, if I had the funds I would buy a load of Lie-Nielson and Lee Valley products, however my pockets are not that deep. I have decided to buy vintage planes to tune and use. It is my opinion a 75-100 year old plane has a smaller per year carbon footprint than any plane currently manufactured and may work equally well.

Mark Baldwin III
02-12-2011, 9:47 PM
Lee Valley and Lie-Nielsen are made in North America ....
Yes they are! And I proudly have both brands in my shop (LV has even made their way into my kitchen). Like I said, I would buy a WR plane if it was made anywhere else. From what I've seen and heard, they are well made quality tools. I am a happy WoodCraft customer, but I avoid the MIC stuff that they carry. That's the beauty of our free-market...we get to choose!
That being said, Bobby, I'm glad you're happy with your #5. It may be made in China. But at least it's not Chinese crap!!