PDA

View Full Version : Lasering Brass Coated & Lacquered Bronze Pet Urn

Terry Swift
02-07-2011, 8:23 PM
One of those wild and crazy requests that we can't seem to say no to.

Have a cone shaped metal urn that is 4.75" wide at it's widest and is 8.25" tall.

The owner wants the dogs name and birth / death dates on it.

As I don't own a rotary device, I'll have to be making the engraving using a lettering type engraving starting in the center with a clear focal point and working outwards decreasing the bed depth to adjust for the longer focal point. The name and dates aren't big; so maybe running the whole thing without changing depths is possible.

My main concern in using Cermark on the lacquered finish. I'm believing I'll have to laser the lacquer first, then apply the Cermark, then laser the Cermark?

Any other good ideas to pull this off and not have to send to someone who has a rotary device? :confused::eek::eek::eek::o

Mike Mackenzie
02-07-2011, 9:42 PM
Terry,

I have tried those before and removing the lacquer is difficult if not impossible. They use a very thick coat of lacquer so when you try to laser it away it just re deposits right back into the engraving. We could never get Cerdec to stick to that consistently

Ross Moshinsky
02-07-2011, 11:12 PM
You need to find an old school hand engraver if you want the done properly. They are still around but are becoming a dying breed. I believe the standard charge is about $1-2 a letter. Some may charge setup on top of that.

Mike Null
02-08-2011, 5:21 AM
You have a 95% chance of ruining the urn. Call Roy or Jeanette Brewer at Engraving Concepts and they'll put you on the right track.

http://www.engravingconcepts.com/

Tom Sieczkarek
02-08-2011, 10:40 AM
I tried to do one with no success. I did practice runs on the bottom and could not get a mark I was satisfied with. I covered the bottom with felt and steered the customer to a marble base for the urn.

Andrea Weissenseel
02-08-2011, 1:58 PM
I tried it on a trumpet that was lacquered brass - also had no success in removing the coat or get a thermark mark.

Andrea

Tony Lenkic
02-08-2011, 3:28 PM
Terry this job calls for diamond drag with rotary engraver. Find someone in your area that has one and farm it out.
Also you may check out ebay for pantograph to add to your arsenal.

Ross Moshinsky
02-08-2011, 3:52 PM
A regular rotary engraver will not do this job. Believe me. We do a lot of rotary engraving. If it was a cylinder, you might find someone with a rotary attachment who would do the job. Since it's a cone, it will need to be done by a hand engraver. You could also buy the ultra thin laser engravable plastic and apply a plastic plate that might not look terrible.

Mike Null
02-08-2011, 5:01 PM
My Newing Hall will do that kind of work. Not looking for the job but I think Roy Brewer sells a machine that will do the job and will know somebody in your area who has one.

It is not necessary to hand engrave it. Just set up the art properly and it can be done with machines from New Hermes, Xenetech as well as mine.

I engrave cone shaped items as well as Revere bowls frequently using my Newing Hall. And with complex art.

Kathy Madan
02-15-2011, 5:51 PM
I agree with Mike. We have done these on our Newing Halls for our funeral home with very little problems.