PDA

View Full Version : Travel Mugs

Greg Just
02-07-2011, 7:59 PM
I started a dozen new travel mugs and here are the first 8. I have been experimenting with carving, burning and dyeing. The woods range from ash, cherry, walnut and maple. I'm having fun with the burner and making my own custom tips.

John Keeton
02-07-2011, 8:09 PM
Greg, very nice grouping! Lot of variation in woods and applications, too. Looks like you certainly have the pyro work down pat.

Dennis Ford
02-07-2011, 8:35 PM
You have been busy, they all look great.

dan carter
02-07-2011, 8:58 PM
Very nice job, good job on your pyro, good job on the finished product. They are attractive and I'm sure they will sell well for you.

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Really nice assortment. Nicely done.

Doug W Swanson
02-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Greg,
That's a great assortment you have there. What do you use for a finish? Where did you get the kits?

I've got a couple of kits that I want to make and want the finish to be done right the first time....

Steve Schlumpf
02-08-2011, 12:21 AM
Very nice variety of mugs! The texturing and color sure adds a lot!

Greg Just
02-08-2011, 7:02 AM
Greg,
That's a great assortment you have there. What do you use for a finish? Where did you get the kits?

I've got a couple of kits that I want to make and want the finish to be done right the first time....

Doug:

I have purchased my kits in various places including sales at Woodcraft, Rockler and through a fellow Creeker here Brodie Brickey. Lately I have been going to places like Big Lots and Home Depot and purchased a plastic lined kit, cut off the plastic with my bandsaw and used the stainless steel liner. I have purchased them for as little as $2.40 versus $12-14 at some other places. For a finish, I have been using an exterior grade poly. I have been using one at work everyday for over a year and the finish still looks good.

Greg

Chuck Stone
02-08-2011, 8:06 AM
Lately I have been going to places like Big Lots and Home Depot and purchased a plastic lined kit, cut off the plastic with my bandsaw and used the stainless steel liner. I have purchased them for as little as $2.40 versus $12-14 at some other places.

I do this too, but haven't had to use the bandsaw. Often there will be a rubber pad on the
bottom that is applied with double stick tape. If you peel that off, there might be a small
screw holding on the plastic shell. Other times I just give it a whack with a hammer to
remove it.
I'll often find them at gas stations for $4, and it includes the coffee. :D