PDA

View Full Version : Source for Brad Point Letter Sized Bits

Chris Jackson
02-07-2011, 7:57 PM
Having trouble locating brad point Letter sized bits. Specifically I need a Letter N and a Letter O for some doweling projects. I've been able to locate many vendors who carry letter sized split points however brad points have been difficult to find. Any thoughts??

Van Huskey
02-07-2011, 8:19 PM
Having trouble locating brad point Letter sized bits. Specifically I need a Letter N and a Letter O for some doweling projects. I've been able to locate many vendors who carry letter sized split points however brad points have been difficult to find. Any thoughts??

Fuller makes them. Maybe Jamestown distributors carries them? Any Fuller dealer should be able to source them.

glenn bradley
02-07-2011, 9:21 PM
Another idea that could save a little dough and some storage space is to do the hole with a slightly undersized bradpoint to get the clean entry and center spur guided hole then shave to letter size with an existing letter size bit. If you do not already have the letter sized bits . . . pretend I didn't respond ;-)

Brian Effinger
02-07-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm not sure about 'N' bits, but take a look for pen kit (woodturning) supplies for an 'O' bit.

Chris Barnett
02-07-2011, 11:49 PM
You can get some of the letter bits at Woodcraft. I use the "O" for making pens, and think it came from PSI if not mistaken. Probably some of the other retail or web outlets on penturners.org would be a source.

Bobby Knourek
02-08-2011, 8:49 AM
Woodworkers Tool Works can brad point any drill bit you have or supply any size you need from stock.
Brad pointing is available in differant grinds for hard wood, soft wood, and end grain.
Pricing starts around 2.00 per tool.

Chris Jackson
02-08-2011, 9:07 AM
Bobby...thank you very much that was helpful.

Bobby Knourek
02-08-2011, 2:12 PM
shipped ups and on their way.

BK.

Chris Jackson
02-18-2011, 4:03 PM
Bob...recieved the bits and they're fantastic, great product, timely shipping, nice to find someone who actually carries these less than common items. I'll be giving you a call about some Letter Size U bits as well...great for Krenov Style dowel work with homemade jigs...

Thanks again,
Chris

Ted Wong
02-18-2011, 8:44 PM
If you are a Krenov enthusiast you might be interested to know that with practice (a lot of practice) you can use a grinder to make your own brad point bits. At the College of the Redwoods school regular twist bits were turned on the grinder to make lettered, fractional and numbered brad points.