PDA

View Full Version : More FesTool MFT questions

James Carmichael
01-15-2005, 11:01 PM
Can one of you FesTool MFT owners tell me what the slot size is on their profile aluminum? I've got access to some surplus 8020 in varying profiles which I plan to frame my old workbench with as a multi-function extensible table. I would like to make it compatible with FesTool products in case I ever decide to use them.

I've been looking at the MFT and the circular saw and it looks like an excellent system, but I'm curious: Does the workpiece sit on the table top, and, if so, what keeps the saw from cutting into table top?

Thanks!

James

Frank Pellow
01-16-2005, 8:55 AM
The saw is intended to cut a little way into the table top. The top can be flipped, once you think that there are too many cuts. ALso, new tops can be purchased ($69 for the larger table) or made using the old top as a template.

Greg Mann
01-16-2005, 11:28 AM
Most Festool accessories will fit into the 15 series slots. This is the 1.5 inch based 8020 extrusions. BTW, there is an interesting profile about Brian Boggs in a current issue of Popular Woodworking in which there are several pics of machines he has built with 8020, a bark stripping machine and a tenoning machine as well as the frame for his router table. Neat stuff.Greg

James Carmichael
01-16-2005, 1:45 PM
Most Festool accessories will fit into the 15 series slots. This is the 1.5 inch based 8020 extrusions. BTW, there is an interesting profile about Brian Boggs in a current issue of Popular Woodworking in which there are several pics of machines he has built with 8020, a bark stripping machine and a tenoning machine as well as the frame for his router table. Neat stuff.Greg

Thanks Greg. I was hoping it would be 1/4" (10-series) since that's about 1/2 the cost of 15-series extrusions, but I figured FesTool would likely be in metric dimensions. Plus 1.5" and 40mm extrusions have near identical slots.

Paul Franklin
01-16-2005, 7:45 PM
You can also buy the table profile from Festool. Its not too bad in price. A pair of 79" rails cost $130. Part number 488555.

Greg Mann
01-16-2005, 10:02 PM
You can also buy the table profile from Festool. Its not too bad in price. A pair of 79" rails cost $130. Part number 488555.
Paul's point is well taken. 8020 is great stuff but not particularly cheap.

Greg