PDA

View Full Version : Old Stanley Chisel Purchase... be honest

RichMagnone
01-15-2005, 10:35 PM
After all the "chase" around here re: BuckBros chisels, I got jumpy and bid up a "set" of old Stanley chisels... I'm assuming that I can whip them into shape despite my novice neanderthal status... (I've got some float glass, snadpaper, etc. and will give scary sharp a try). Can anyone comment on these? Be brutally honest - I'm figuring that I did not get a great deal, but probably could put together a set of six separately for $90 or so?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6145243161&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Dennis McDonaugh
01-15-2005, 11:07 PM
Rich, 750s are good butt chisels, they take a good edge and hold it a long time. At $20 a chisel they are pretty economical too. Now, you'll have to find a set of the 720 paring chisels!

jay hanks
01-16-2005, 5:29 PM
The fun never seems to end with chisel's. You will also need to get a good set of mortise chisels !!!

Alan Turner
01-16-2005, 5:44 PM
And, of course, some smaller butt chisels that you can adopt to special or particular uses. 750's are just fine; they are my bench chisels, although I have been thinking of the L-N's.
Alan

Herb Blair
01-16-2005, 5:51 PM
Rich,
Those Stanleys are great. I have serveral 750's myself, and they are as good as any. I use scary sharp off and on (I also use waterstones, which is my method of choice now). Take your time, and you can create an edge on those old boys that will scare hell out of you. Congratulations.

Roger Nixon
01-19-2005, 11:35 AM
That was a good buy. I have sold 750's for upwards of $40 each. I use 750's & 720's and they are good chisels. This bunch looks like all they will need is sharpening.

RichMagnone
01-20-2005, 4:08 PM
They look great, even better than the pix on the ebay auction - I'll post some pix when I get a moment.

The bigger purchase, right on their heels was this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8161573358&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Frankly, I got a bit carried away with the bidding, although I have seen those same chisels go for $60-80 a piece used, so I thought I was getting "value" (even if that means crazy, overpriced ebay value).

I thought it would be fun to make "users" out of those. I have already received a few emails from people asking me if I want to resell them for more, which had never even occurred to me!

jay hanks
01-20-2005, 6:10 PM
It looks like you are now in collector territory. Those new chisels sure like nice though, I personally would be afraid to use if they do still have the decals and all.

RichMagnone
01-20-2005, 6:27 PM
The collector's realm versus the "user"... but why not use them? They were meant to be used and are likely of better quality than what is out there today. Then again, I could have bought a new set of Lie Nielson chisels for almost half that price.

I will say this, I have not, to this point, been a collector (frankly, I am so new to these tools without cords that I got a bit carried away with a whole new world of tools I had never considered and had a few extra bucks from Santa Claus).

Dennis McDonaugh
01-20-2005, 7:31 PM
Rich, I'm a user not a collector. I have bought some very nice collectable boxed tools--nothing like a mint Stanley nr. 1, but some that could be stored, looked at, admired and maybe sold by my heirs for much more than I paid for them. I use them every chance I get because it gives me pleasure to use them for their intended purpose when they were made 75-100 years ago. I don't think that will change, but then I haven't bee tested by that mint Stanley nr. 1 yet!

Roger Nixon
01-21-2005, 9:20 AM
This is just my personal feelings but I would not use those chisels. They are so mint that they provide an historical reference. I (and probably most people) have never seen a set of chisels like that and, once they are used, that reference will be forever gone. I'm not a collector but I think I would become one if I this set of chisels :) . The wow factor is way up there on these!