PDA

View Full Version : My Lathe At Last

ken gibbs
02-07-2011, 6:52 PM
Several years agoI sold my big industrial wood lathe. It was an old General Machinery lathe fabricated in China. In order to get enough parts to use the big lathe I had to buy a 40" lathe at an auction. I sold the big lathe two years ago and had to sell the tail end assembly with the big lathe. So I was stuck with a workable 40" lathe without the dead end assembly. I also had to buy a drive end stud from WoodCraft and get it machined to take the drive shaft. I found that Harbor Freight tools still stocked most parts for the model number that replaced the model I have. I received most of the parts I ordered from Harbor Freight and had to spend about $120.00 in machinst time to get the new parts to retrofit the older lathe. And today was my big day. I got it running and actually turned spindles. I guess wood truners just have to be hardheaded to be able to get anything accomplished.

John Keeton
02-07-2011, 6:54 PM
I guess wood turners just have to be hardheaded to be able to get anything accomplished.It sure helps!!! Congrats, Ken, on finally getting it up and running. I am sure there was a reason for selling the big lathe, but I am also sure there have been a lot of regrets.

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2011, 7:27 PM
Congrats Ken on your journey and getting it running. Have fun.

Steve Schlumpf
02-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Congrats on getting your lathe up and running! Looking forward to seeing some of your work real soon!

ken gibbs
02-08-2011, 7:30 AM
Bernie,

I did the retirement thing and she threw me out for good 18 months later.

John Keeton
02-08-2011, 7:36 AM
Ouch!! Well, hope you are in recovery mode and doing OK.

ken gibbs
02-08-2011, 7:40 AM
John,

Last summer I roughed out and dried some soft maple blanks to make replacement handles for some family turning chisels that my grandfather inherited from my GG grandfather. These old chisels were cut down "barn" mortising chisels that have been in my family for over 150 years. They were obviously hand ground on a stone wheel and it must have taken for ever to grind the primary and secondaries. A family member had these chisels for the last 50 years and sent them to me last year. The original handles look like hickery that was hand carved. I turned my first new handle yesterday and was ready to sweat on a new ferrel when the lathe threw a set screw. After all of the frustration, it scared me to death. But I found the odd sized set screw and I am back in business. I may disappear for the next six months and will be in the shop.

Ken

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-08-2011, 8:09 AM
Ken,
Tough break in your personal life. I am sure I am not alone hoping the wounds heal over soon. Meanwhile, are you sure you want to replace old hand carved handles on 150 year old tools with turned handles. I doubt the tools have a lot of value as users and might make better conversation pieces in their original state. Of course, if they are missing, you could always hand carve replacements. That process would occupy your hands and mind quite a while.