PDA

View Full Version : First box and a few other firsts

Shawn Stennett
02-07-2011, 1:40 PM
This is the first box that I have made. Here is the list of a few other firsts I had while doing this project:

1st time to resaw anything
1st time to do any inlay
1st time to do dovetails that small and
1st time to nearly cut my finger off at the table saw, I had some wicked kick back while my finger was too close and I lost some skin for it.

I wanted to do more of it by had but there are several things I can't do with out slaying a few electrons.

I really liked doing the inlay of the cross. I just ordered the large router from LN and a plow plane to replae the tablesaw part that got me.

I know that it could post this in the projects forum but I thought it qualified for this section considering the amount of handtool work. I also read on here that some people wished to see more work in this section. When my wife resizes a few more pictures I will post more action shots.

Andrew Gibson
02-07-2011, 1:56 PM
I love it. it's amazing how the right hand tool makes doing certain things so much more enjoyable. you are going to love having a plow, and I am sure a large router will accompany your small one very well... I have a Stanley 71 1/2 and still need to pick up a small router one of these days.

Shawn Stennett
02-07-2011, 2:20 PM
Thanks, I really enjoyed using the small router but wished I had an adjustment, hence the large router comming. I cut the pieces to rough length by hand and once I resawed the sides and top I hand planed them. I loved the shavings the top made from the spalted pecan.

Paul Incognito
02-07-2011, 3:05 PM
That's a nice looking box Shawn!
I love my 71, if I can use it instead of the screaming beast, I always do.
Paul

Andrew Yang
02-07-2011, 3:06 PM
Nice work for that list of firsts. I'm embarrassed to post any of my firsts.

Jim Koepke
02-07-2011, 4:56 PM
Nice looking box.

Don't worry about resizing the pictures, the SMC software will do that for you.

I'm embarrassed to post any of my firsts.

Don't feel bad, I have been doing this for years and am embarrassed to post my dovetail because they still look terrible most of the time.

jtk

Shawn Stennett
02-07-2011, 5:35 PM
It tells me they are to large, my wife takes them and they are over 6mb.

gary Zimmel
02-07-2011, 6:58 PM
Nice batch of firsts Shawn, except for the just about getting your finger in the table saw....

Shawn Stennett
02-07-2011, 11:04 PM
I did manage to lose about a 16th off the tip.

Mark Wyatt
02-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Very nice project Shawn!