PDA

View Full Version : Withdrawal

Augusto Orosco
02-07-2011, 1:31 PM
My two-car attached garage was finally comfortable to work in. Got 220V wiring, heat and insulation. Built myself a half decent workbench and bought some cool tools. Built some shop cabinetry and a mobile carts. I was finally feeling ready to attempt some real projects with real wood.

A few months ago, got a job offer I couldn't refuse and moved the family from Boston to Philly. Left the suburb house behind and settled in a rented house in the heart of the city. Sold my largest power tools, kept the rest stored. Love my new job, but can’t do any woodworking now.

I am experiencing serious withdrawal. I got out my beloved LA Jack and Block LV planes and put them in my office, so I can stare at them. People think they are a beautiful decoration. I can’t disagree. Hopefully soon enough, we will buy a new house. A new shop will be built, and my office decorations will get back to work. In the meantime, I just can’t let go …

Raymond Fries
02-07-2011, 3:04 PM
...rather, maybe change the scale of what you do. Maybe you could try carving or making pens. The tools for these hobbies require less space. How about R/C airplanes. Wooden things ( at least the framework) that fly are pretty cool. I built them in a small apartment.

Just ideas. Hope you get back to something you like to do.

Peter Stahl
02-07-2011, 6:28 PM
My two-car attached garage was finally comfortable to work in. Got 220V wiring, heat and insulation. Built myself a half decent workbench and bought some cool tools. Built some shop cabinetry and a mobile carts. I was finally feeling ready to attempt some real projects with real wood.

A few months ago, got a job offer I couldn't refuse and moved the family from Boston to Philly. Left the suburb house behind and settled in a rented house in the heart of the city. Sold my largest power tools, kept the rest stored. Love my new job, but can’t do any woodworking now.

I am experiencing serious withdrawal. I got out my beloved LA Jack and Block LV planes and put them in my office, so I can stare at them. People think they are a beautiful decoration. I can’t disagree. Hopefully soon enough, we will buy a new house. A new shop will be built, and my office decorations will get back to work. In the meantime, I just can’t let go …

Are you working in center city? If so a option to Phily is NJ. Patco train rides up and down Market Street. There are a lot of nice little towns in NJ near the Patco line. I wouldn't want to live in the city if I didn't have to but I was brought up in a little town in NJ.

Rod Sheridan
02-07-2011, 6:44 PM
Augusto, when I lived in an apartment I built stuff using hand tools only in the spare bedroom.

It worked very well..............Regards, Rod.

Augusto Orosco
02-08-2011, 9:28 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I really don't have a spare room to keep a mini-shop going; but something like carving could work. I am not that worried; I know eventually I will move to a place with enough space to rebuild the shop. Waiting gets a litter harder some days, though. I do find myself trying to read a bit more about woodworking. If I can't work with wood yet, at least I can become more educated about it.

I've also heard that there are incredible lumberyards around here, which is quite exciting!

Brian Tymchak
02-08-2011, 9:40 AM
Augusto,

I'm not familiar with your area, but you might be able to find a shop that rents time on tools. Might be an option until you get back in to your own shop.

Brian

Michael MacDonald
02-08-2011, 2:22 PM
Augusto -- check out a local community college for a woodworking class. in Chicago, I took a class that was little more than "shop time". I didn't learn anything from the class, but I had access to some big and old cast iron--planer, jointer, several bandsaws and tablesaws... For a few bucks, you can probably get three to four hours a week of shop time. It might be better than nothing.

Paul Steiner
02-11-2011, 6:24 PM
How about small turning on a midi lathe, pens and such. Or build a carvers horse and do some work with green wood. I would say give in to your feelings of withdrawal and find something small to work on. I have a shop at work and tools and home and I still have things I would like to work on that I do not have time for.
I like pen turning but my big projects and home improvement stuff get all my time. Use all the time you got.

harry strasil
02-11-2011, 9:28 PM
classified ad - WANTED - Hobbiest Woodworker willing to share, rent, or otherwise help a new resident to the city by sharing their shop until new living facilities are acquired.

Craig list might be another alternative.