PDA

View Full Version : Larger chucks on a Delta 46-460?

Justin Stephen
02-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Hello all. Is there any reason why you wouldn't want to use a Stronghold chuck or the larger Vicmarc chuck (5 1/2") on a 46-460?

John Keeton
02-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Justin, I have never done it, but I don't know of a reason why you could not do that. However, if you have not acquired the chuck, I guess my question would be why. I suppose one could anticipate a lathe upgrade, and want the larger chuck "just in case." But, the 46-460 is a 1 hp lathe, with a 12.5" swing. One is rather limited on the size of piece that can be turned on it. The Vicmarc would be overkill IMO.

I don't think I could turn anything on the 46-460 larger than the capacity of my Nova G3.

Roger Chandler
02-07-2011, 11:56 AM
+1 on John's observations. Only if I were going to upgrade to a much larger lathe, would I consider anything bigger than a G3 for the Delta 46-460.

Jon McElwain
02-07-2011, 12:30 PM
I have a Stronghold chuck that I use for my large lathe, but I have put it on my 46-460 on occasion. The only reason is that I have a larger variety of jaws for the Stronghold and wanted to use them on a project I started on the 46-460. That said, the Stronghold chuck is WAY overkill for the 46-460. Sure it can be done, but my small Nova chuck will hold anything that the 46-460 can turn.

Having a dedicated chuck for each set of jaws you have would be far more advantageous than having a large and more expensive chuck that is overkill for the lathe. It takes a lot of time to switch jaws - I often find myself turning my project to whatever set of jaws I have on my chuck rather than taking the time to change jaws. If I were in your shoes, I would buy 3 Nova G-3's for the price of one Stronghold or Vicmark VM150.

John Keeton
02-07-2011, 12:57 PM
...I would buy 3 Nova G-3's for the price of one Stronghold or Vicmark VM150.Excellent advice, and precisely why I ended up with the G3 - it goes on sale often, as do various jaw packages. I have three of them, and a Nova midi for soft jaws. Being able to have multiple chucks WAY outweighs having a monster chuck.

Justin Stephen
02-07-2011, 12:57 PM
It is indeed in anticipation of a future lathe upgrade and I agree with the advantages of multiple chucks. This would not be my first chuck.

The price difference between a Talon and a Stronghold is not that substantial. I just wanted to make sure that the substantial weight of a Stronghold wasn't somehow an issue for the 46-460 spindle. I will probably go ahead and get a Talon anyway but I am still mulling it over.

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2011, 1:28 PM
I use the Vicmarc VM100 on my Jet 1220 and Rikon. I have also found that the $99 Grizzly chuck is a clone and the Vic Jaws will fit it. Like was already advised unless you anticipate upgrading to a large lathe why spend the money for that big of a chuck. I also use these Grizzly chucks on my big Nova with no problems. I would rather have many smaller chucks with various jaws like John said than one big chuck and have to change jaws. I am lazy and don't like changing jaws.

Frank Drew
02-07-2011, 2:18 PM
You can justify a larger chuck -- I had a Rockwell/Delta model 1460 (46-305) that I packed up to give me a 19" swing, so I was able to turn larger work. (I was glad for the modification, since it expanded what I could do, but turning inboard meant that I still had the daggoned bed in the way.)

All that said, I never got one of the largest chucks.

Jake Helmboldt
02-07-2011, 7:55 PM
Justin, the larger chuck also gets in the way and simply makes it more difficult to get into tight places around the foot/spigot/tennon. Buy the smaller chuck (Talon if you go Oneway) since it is appropriate for the lathe you have. Besides, if/when you upgrade you will still want/need a smaller chuck on a big lathe, whereas you don't want/need a big chuck on a small lathe.

Also, the price difference is = to a set of extra jaws. Take that ~$50 saved and spend it on another set of jaws to give your chuck more versatility.

Justin Stephen
02-07-2011, 8:14 PM
Duly noted. Thanks for the replies all.

David T gray
02-07-2011, 9:35 PM
go with vicmarc can never get stronghold to run true after drying the wood my smaller grizzly with 3 1/2'' jaws always runs true. if you want a stronghold ill sell you mine.