PDA

View Full Version : General Metalworking Work/Welding Table

Carroll Courtney
02-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Guys I'm in the process of collecting material for a steel work table that I can tack-weld on to help keep things square.Right now I only have a 1/2x4'x5' plate for the top.Looking for ideals for the rest to get the most out it.If you have any pics,thoughs or ideals will please post.I have no imagnation so I need all the help I can get.Thanks----Carroll

Steve Ryan
02-07-2011, 11:39 AM
2X2 square tubing makes for a nice support framework. Be sure to leave a perimeter overhang to clamp to. Frame for a lower fixed shelf too. Make the lower shelf well supported and use expanded metal so grinding dust falls through. Also cross brace support unter the 1/2". It may seem unneccessary but it is not. Heat from welding along with repeated tack weldes will warp it over time. Is there a used material handeling company near you? They often have "orphan" pallet rack beams that can be had for cheap. Plenty strong enough for the table support and they usually have a step in them also.

Scott T Smith
02-07-2011, 7:56 PM
+1 to Steve's recommendations. I would add that the addition of a good quality vice on one corner of the table would be beneficial.

Matt Meiser
02-07-2011, 8:31 PM
Instead of mounting the vise on mine, I welded a 2" receiver tube (available at Tractor Supply) to the bottom and then mounted my vise to a plate welded to piece of 2" tube that slides inside and is secured with a hitch pin. That way the top is flat, and I can cover it with a piece of hardboard for non-welding tasks.

Carroll Courtney
02-08-2011, 8:00 PM
Thanks guys for all the ideals,I never though about mounting the vise so that it can be removed.Great ideal Matt and thanks again Carroll

Mel Miller
02-13-2011, 6:53 PM
With 1/2" plate, you have to be careful about putting too much weld on the bottom side attaching the legs and support which can cause it to warp. I used a piece of 1" plate for my table.

Mel