PDA

View Full Version : Plywood Glue Up Question

Doug Donnell
02-07-2011, 9:23 AM
Presumably, every other ply on a plywood edge is end grain. Wood this cause any problem when gluing solid wood edging to the plywood edge with simple butt joints and no or limited mechanical fasteners? And if not, why not? I have been assuming not, as glueing face frames and solid edging is a pretty commonplace practice, but the thought occured to me yesterday as I was doing this very thing...

Doug

Lex Boegen
02-07-2011, 9:55 AM
You'd still have 3/8-inch face grain surface on 3/4-inch ply (give or take a few thousandths), so that should be OK if the edge isn't under a lot of stress. After all, veneer edging is applied this way all the time. I prefer cutting a groove in the plywood and a tongue on the edging.

Paul Symchych
02-07-2011, 10:42 AM
I've glued solid strips from 1/8" to 1/2" thick to plywood edges for many years with nary a problem. As I sit here I look at my computer bench and adjacent bookcase done this way. If the ply is cut smoothly there is plenty of face grain for the glue to grab with no need for brads or screws. Making a complex joint may be soul-satisfying but is unnecessary extra work.

Doug Donnell
02-07-2011, 11:25 AM
I am very glad you guys feel this way! Thanks! :)