PDA

View Full Version : Planer Problem/question

Russell Smallwood
02-07-2011, 9:12 AM
All,

Every so often, and particularly when running longer boards through my planer (453px) the wood seems to get jammed at the end of the pass. Logically, it would seem that it gets "stuck" when it looses contact with the in feed roller, although I don't have any hard evidence of this. I literally have to pull the stock out of the planer at this point, with the end result being some nasty roller dents and a lot of gnashing of teeth.

Is this a common problem? I've set the planer up (twice), rotocator in hand and seem to have it performing flawlessly else wise (except for the occasional snipe now and again).

Then again, it could also be the material. I running cypress through it sans jointer (straight is not necessarily a requirement for this particular application), which means a lot of slightly bowed and cupped boards.

Is this kind of thing expected given the circumstance or do I need to (yet again) go through all of the settings and do some tweaking.

Steve Jenkins
02-07-2011, 9:23 AM
Almost all the time when this happens it is due to the bed not being waxed. The outfeed roller is smooth and the infeed is serrated unles it is rubber so it has more gripping strength. Give the bed a good coat of paste wax and i bet the problem goes away.

Russell Smallwood
02-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Almost all the time when this happens it is due to the bed not being waxed. The outfeed roller is smooth and the infeed is serrated unles it is rubber so it has more gripping strength. Give the bed a good coat of paste wax and i bet the problem goes away.

Thanks Steve! Will give that a shot.

Bob Direso
02-12-2011, 6:31 PM
Russell, +1 with the waxing, but Since you say this happens primarily with long boards you might try lifting up slightly as the board is finishing the last foot or so. If the board is cupped enough after being released by the infeed roller it may be allowing the last few inches of the board to rise enough to jam. Bob.

Russell Smallwood
02-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Just in case anyone dredges this up and has the same problem.

Both of these suggestions have helped. Thanks guys.

I waxed the tables and the problem went away, I've also found that lifting up on the boards helps as well when a really long board is badly warped or cupped.

Steve Jenkins
02-14-2011, 8:00 PM
Glad you got it worked out russell. thanks for the update. always curious how things get resolved. so many times we never hear the outcome.