PDA

View Full Version : antique oil

David T gray
02-07-2011, 4:30 AM
so how do yall apply it ?

Gary Max
02-07-2011, 5:42 AM
Heck I do everything from dipping it to just wipping it on. Wipe off any extra between coats.

Jerry Rhoads
02-07-2011, 7:07 AM
I do it like I do Danish oil.
I keep it wet for at least an hour. Keep wiping it on every ten minutes or so, keep it wet.
then I let it drain off for 10 minutes or so, wipe dry with paper towel. usually have to wipe it every 15 minutes or so as it bleeds out.
If the piece will fit into my soaking bucket. I keep it submerged for an hour. that way I can concentrate on doing other things. Maybe get another ready to soak.
Mainly keep it wet.
Jerry

David Gilbert
02-07-2011, 8:49 AM
I use the Minwax Antique Oil (MAO) pretty much like Watco Danish oil but with one difference. Like those above, I paint it on with a small brush, keep it wet and then wipe and let it dry. I like MAO because after several coats it builds more than Watco. For the last couple of coats, when I want more of a gloss finish, I dilute the MAO with mineral spirits and then wipe it on with a soft cloth. Usually I do this with my vacuum system and let the MAO dry on the lathe. Once it is almost dry, I'll pull it off and let it fully dry.

One other thing that I do is spray some wine preservative (same thing as bloxygen) into the can as I reseal it to prevent it from setting up. I have never had enough MAO to submerge an item in as discussed above. This would seem to me to be very expensive since I am sure that the MAO would set up quickly.

Cheers,
David

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2011, 11:06 AM
I pretty much paint it on with a foam brush. I keep painting it on till it doesn't soak in anymore. I let it sit for about 15 minutes and then wipe of the excess. I do this for about 3 to 4 coats depending on the shine I want. I then buff.

Greg Just
02-07-2011, 1:34 PM
Ditto what Bernie said. Just remember to wipe it down or it can get sticky.