PDA

View Full Version : RAS dado blade

Rick Potter
02-07-2011, 4:16 AM
Anyone know of a good 8" stacked dado blade set with a negative angle on the teeth? I need one for my radial arm saw. My regular Forrest set really tries to self feed.

Rick Potter

scott spencer
02-07-2011, 4:51 AM
I believe the Infinity Dadonator (http://www.infinitytools.com/Dadonator-8-Stacked-Dado-Set-With-5_8-Bore/productinfo/SDB-800) has a negative hook of -5°....excellent set, not overly expensive.

Van Huskey
02-07-2011, 9:14 AM
The Freud Safety Dado sets (300 and 400 series) are designed for your intended use with design elements that go beyond just a negative hook profile. I have not used them however, but would assume their cut quality lines up with their other sets in similar price ranges.

Steve Schoene
02-07-2011, 9:21 AM
That's interesting because Forrest's dado sets do have negative rake, including on the chippers.

Rick Potter
02-07-2011, 2:40 PM
Egaaads, Steve is right. My Forrest set does have a negative angle. It pulls so bad, I never thought to check it. It doesn't want to walk, it wants to run. Works great on the table saw, on the RAS I have to be very careful to not let it walk.

I will check into the Freud set. Any one have one?? I have hundreds of dados to do before the house is finished.

Rick Potter

Edit: I just checked the Forrest VS Freud on the net. The big difference I see is that the Freud has those safety bumps behind the teeth, the Forrest doesn't.

Chris True
02-07-2011, 2:47 PM
I use a Frued 208 set on my Dewalt MBF, can't say there is no tendency at all to walk but it cuts really well and very safely / controllably.

Bobby Knourek
02-07-2011, 3:18 PM
All blades whether pos. or neg. hook are going to want to self feed on a RAS due to the ''climb'' cut.
The only differance the hook angle is the work load of the tooth face and tooth top, and the stress
it delivers to the tooth body and plate.

The blade is walking up onto the material being cut with either tooth style,
its just that the pos. tooth ''stabs'' the material with the tip of the tooth, sending alot of stress to the tooth body and plate.

The neg. hook tooth passes into the material using the face of the tooth and sending the work load to the circumferance
of the saw blade body.(which is better)

Bobby.
(being careful not to say too much)