PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Updates

John Cavanaugh
02-07-2011, 1:47 AM
Well the need to do a bunch of drilling motivated me to procrastinate and do the drill press updates Ive been meaning to do for a year or so.

I updated the following

Upgrade to Jacobs style keyless chuck ($23)
LED flexible light modded from Ikea ($10)
Steel City Laser ($49)
HF Drill Press Table ($27)
Separate Handy Box outlet for DP & Vaccuum ($12)

So my verdict on all the items.

The Jacobs keyless chuck for $23 has been great. Im very happy and think the knockoff I got from ebay was a heck of a deal.

The LED light I picked up from Ikea for $10 has also been a steal as well. Its very bright and the flexible head allows me to focus the light to wherever I need it.

Im reserving final judgment on the Steel City laser at $49, but my initial take is that it wasnt worth it. I think it is going to be close enough for woodworking, but the cross hairs on the laser are a little too wide for any type of metalworking. While I know a lot of folks have struggled with the alignment on this, I had no problems with it.

I honestly felt guilty about buying the HF drill press table. Ive been meaning to build one for a while, but Ive got too many projects in the queue already and at $27 wasnt going to break the bank. Its been a decent table, thus far, and the good news is Im finding things I like & dont like about a table, so I am considering this sort of a pilot phase to learn key things before I build one.

Attached is a photo of the completed setup. All in all Im happy with the setup.

Van Huskey
02-07-2011, 8:32 AM
Excellent episode of "Pimp my drill press". Thanks for the review of the pieces and parts.

Alan Schaffter
02-07-2011, 10:49 AM
You are not done yet!

I added a WoodPeckers table and a SC laser (I hard-wired the laser and mounted it to the headstock instead of the column so I can rotate the headstock):

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/DP-12.JPG

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/DP-11.JPG

I added a light:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/DP-5.JPG

I added a keyless chuck, too- second best upgrade. (no pic)

Next I put in a 3 phase motor so I could add a VFD for electronic variable speed:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/DP-8.JPG0000

To control it, I put a remote speed dial (red) and a small toggle switch on the front, then, so I would know how fast it is turning, added a digital tach and remote LED readout:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/DP-6.JPG

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/DP-7.JPG

I also added some dust collection. This was just slapped together and will be redone:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/PB130001.JPG

Sean Nagle
02-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Alan, the VFD upgrade is very cool. Can you provide more detail on which 3-phase motor and VFD you used? What pulley configuration works best? Also, what components did you use for the tach?

Oh and finally, how does it work and would you make the mod again?

Dan Friedrichs
02-07-2011, 12:25 PM
John, do you know the size range allowed on that chuck you bought? I think I bought one very similar (also on eBay), but there was a choice between one that went down to, I think 1/8", and one that went smaller. I bought the smaller one (thinking, "Hey - more range is better, right?"), but it turns out the jaws are kind of pointed (in order to grip smaller bits), which gives them not very much surface contact area on larger bits. I'm considering replacing this chuck with the same model that doesn't hold such small bits.

Alan, I second Sean's suggestion that you elaborate on the VFD. This seems like such a good solution - given the relatively low cost of a 1/2-hp VFD, why have all the manufacturers been going to such lengths to incorporate Reeves drives (etc), rather than just using a VFD to get variable speed?

Alan Schaffter
02-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Here is a link to a thread on NCWW (http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6189). You should be able to read it as a guest. Some info like source of the tach is in follow-up posts later in the thread.

Updated info: Since I couldn't gear it down enough after removing the idler pulley, I replaced the 3450 RPM 3 phase motor with a 1750 RPM one. It works great!!! I don't know how I lived with out it and would do it again in a heartbeat!!

If the link is a no-no just go to NCwoodworker dot net and search for "More Tinkering- Drillpress upgrade" by Alan in Little Washington

glenn bradley
02-07-2011, 12:32 PM
In an effort to control thread-jacking; I'll say this:

The Jacobs keyless chuck for $23 has been great.
I went keyless years ago and it has been great.

The LED light I picked up from Ikea for $10 has also been a steal as well.
Cool looking light, I gotta check that out.

Im reserving final judgment on the Steel City laser at $49
I thought the laser was a cool idea when I bought my machine but, like you found that the width of the beam is too great to allow anything but rough placement; I can do that by eye. I haven't turned the thing on in years.

I honestly felt guilty about buying the HF drill press table.
For $27 you get to get your feet wet and apply what you've learned to your own future build? Cool.

Alan Schaffter
02-07-2011, 12:36 PM
John, do you know the size range allowed on that chuck you bought? I think I bought one very similar (also on eBay), but there was a choice between one that went down to, I think 1/8", and one that went smaller. I bought the smaller one (thinking, "Hey - more range is better, right?"), but it turns out the jaws are kind of pointed (in order to grip smaller bits), which gives them not very much surface contact area on larger bits. I'm considering replacing this chuck with the same model that doesn't hold such small bits.

Alan, I second Sean's suggestion that you elaborate on the VFD. This seems like such a good solution - given the relatively low cost of a 1/2-hp VFD, why have all the manufacturers been going to such lengths to incorporate Reeves drives (etc), rather than just using a VFD to get variable speed?

Dan, I had the same questions when I bought my keyless chuck- should I go with upper size range so I can mount bigger bits or smaller size range. It turns out the bigger one I got from Woodcraft (no longer sold there?) also worked fine holding tiny bits! I also found the pointy chuck jaws actually grip better than the supplied Delta chuck and have had absolutely no problem.. The only negative, the pointy jaws makes it a little harder to get bits in the centered position so I can tighten the chuck. I love my keyless chuck!!!!

Sean Nagle
02-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Alan, Thanks for the link to details about your VFD mod.

Dan, I'm in total agreement with you. I have been waiting for over three years for manufacturers to come up with a good variable speed drill press. They use VFDs to run high-end lathes, why they don't do the same for a drill press is a mystery.

Alan Schaffter
02-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Alan, Thanks for the link to details about your VFD mod.

Dan, I'm in total agreement with you. I have been waiting for over three years for manufacturers to come up with a good variable speed drill press. They use VFDs to run high-end lathes, why they don't do the same for a drill press is a mystery.

The problem with using a VFD to control motor RPM is you lose HP at low RPMs (you can't get something for nothing). A better, but unfortunately much more expensive alternative is a big DC (direct current) motor and hefty DC controller. That is why most drill presses and lathes with VFDs still retain the abililty to change speed (range) via some mechanical means - change v-belt pulley ratio manually or with a Reeves drive.

Sean Nagle
02-07-2011, 1:16 PM
The problem with using a VFD to control motor RPM is you lose HP at low RPMs (you can't get something for nothing). A better, but unfortunately much more expensive alternative is a big DC (direct current) motor and hefty DC controller. That is why most drill presses and lathes with VFDs still retain the abililty to change speed (range) via some mechanical means - change v-belt pulley ratio manually or with a Reeves drive.

I take back my statement about no commercial electronic, variable speed drill presses. General International offers the 75-700 M1. My hesitation in buying one is that I would prefer a 20" drill press, it's General's Asian-built model, the price is over $1700 and I would be the first to buy one [it would seem].

http://www.general.ca/site_general/g_produits/drill_mortiser/75-700.html

Alan, this DP does have two mechanically-adjustable speed ranges.

John Cavanaugh
02-07-2011, 3:53 PM
The chuck goes down to 1/32. Thats small enough for me...

John Cavanaugh
02-07-2011, 3:57 PM
You are not done yet!

The VFD is pretty cool. Like many things in my shop, buying a better & more expensive drill press is one of the things I regret not doing. But for now what I have is serving me well.

I never mentioned whats on my todo list still for the DP.

- I do need to work on the dust collection
- I need to finish up my drill press stand, its about 90% done and I need to post it, I think its a cool design...

--
John C

Dan Friedrichs
02-07-2011, 4:18 PM
The chuck goes down to 1/32. Thats small enough for me...

John, I think that's the one I have, too. Do you ever have any trouble centering larger bits? I seem to be having the challenge of lifetime with this chuck - large bits are hard to center, and sometimes they slip, etc, etc....
Maybe I just got a bad one.

Brad Patch
02-07-2011, 4:48 PM
John,

I love that flex Light. I went to the Ikea web site and could not find any info. Do you have a model or Ikea number for it? I'm assuming its 115V, does it have a magnetic base?

Alan Schaffter
02-07-2011, 8:24 PM
The VFD is pretty cool. Like many things in my shop, buying a better & more expensive drill press is one of the things I regret not doing. But for now what I have is serving me well.

I never mentioned whats on my todo list still for the DP.

- I do need to work on the dust collection
- I need to finish up my drill press stand, its about 90% done and I need to post it, I think its a cool design...

--
John C

I got another one for you-

I hate the crank assembly that is used to raise the table - mine is a POS, but even a better working one would still be a pain. Plus there is enough play in the rack assembly that the table doesn't stay aligned with the chuck when raising and lowering.

I know some have motorized the table, but I don't want to go that far. Instead, I plan to add a cable, pulleys, and a counter weight inside the column that will counter the weight of the table . Then I'll replace the crank and pinion with a cam lever lock and the rack with a self-centering, wedge shaped, rail that mounts in the same place as the rack.

Van Huskey
02-07-2011, 8:47 PM
[QUOTE=Alan Schaffter;1630506]You are not done yet!

I added a WoodPeckers table and a SC laser (I hard-wired the laser and mounted it to the headstock instead of the column so I can rotate the headstock):

I added a light:

I added a keyless chuck, too- second best upgrade. (no pic)

Next I put in a 3 phase motor so I could add a VFD for electronic variable speed:

To control it, I put a remote speed dial (red) and a small toggle switch on the front, then, so I would know how fast it is turning, added a digital tach and remote LED readout:

I also added some dust collection. This was just slapped together and will be redone:

OK and I thought my similar plans for a PM 1150 might be gilding the lily!

John Cavanaugh
02-07-2011, 9:29 PM
John,

I love that flex Light. I went to the Ikea web site and could not find any info. Do you have a model or Ikea number for it? I'm assuming its 115V, does it have a magnetic base?

Its the Ikea Jansjo (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10128734#). What is ironic is that the desk lamp is $10 and one of the variants with a clip is $30. Same light just with a different attachment feature. I bought the $10 one and made a little wood block it would attach to and then bolted the wood block to my drill press after tapping 2 holes in it. I cant believe Ikea thinks a different base is worth $20....

John Cavanaugh
02-07-2011, 9:34 PM
John, I think that's the one I have, too. Do you ever have any trouble centering larger bits? I seem to be having the challenge of lifetime with this chuck - large bits are hard to center, and sometimes they slip, etc, etc....
Maybe I just got a bad one.

Dan, well I hope your experience doesnt foreshadow what will happen with mine. I havent had mine for very long (~2 weeks), but Ive done some drilling with a 1/2 bit (the max for my chuck) and a lot with 5/16 without any issues.

Salvatore Buscemi
02-07-2011, 9:52 PM
Yeah, that's an expensive clamp

Russell Sansom
02-08-2011, 3:01 AM
I cant believe Ikea thinks a different base is worth $20....
It's all about marketing. Across the board I'm seeing the same core item dressed up with "options" so the merchandisers can offer various "price points." Woodworking tools tend to be priced on cost of production much more so than home maker items.

John Cavanaugh
02-08-2011, 4:06 AM
I got another one for you-

I hate the crank assembly that is used to raise the table - mine is a POS, but even a better working one would still be a pain. Plus there is enough play in the rack assembly that the table doesn't stay aligned with the chuck when raising and lowering.

I know some have motorized the table, but I don't want to go that far. Instead, I plan to add a cable, pulleys, and a counter weight inside the column that will counter the weight of the table . Then I'll replace the crank and pinion with a cam lever lock and the rack with a self-centering, wedge shaped, rail that mounts in the same place as the rack.

Alan, at some point you might want to just acknowledge you have outgrown a simple DP and have graduated to a mill... ;-)

Alan Schaffter
02-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Alan, at some point you might want to just acknowledge you have outgrown a simple DP and have graduated to a mill... ;-)

Then, I would be tempted to do what my brother did- he got an old Bridgeport mill, cleaned, refurbished, and painted it, then bought stepper motors, controllers, software and all the gearing to make it a full three axis CNC mill! :rolleyes:

I do a lot of tinkering where I work with metals, plastic, and wood so there are times I wish I had a mill (and space for it). But, so far I have just gone for convenience mods. Needed bigger table- check, needed extra light- check, wanted to avoid belt changes when switching from drilling wood to metal- check, wanted to know how fast the bit was turning- check. I'm REALLY annoyed with how difficult it is to change my table height with the flimsy (plastic!!!) crank handle and an evidently buggered pinion gear assembly, so that's on my round tuit list. :D

John Petsche
05-11-2012, 11:48 AM
great pictures, like the dual dust collection idea. Thanks.